1 2
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/3/20 6:53 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Is Lori still selling the GTI?  Adulting in a different way:  Since January, I've spent probably what Jerry sold the WRX for on teh Volvo, and it is sitting in my garage not being driven because it tends to run hot and puke coolant from the exhaust in ways that would make ZB proud, because I'm too stubborn to not keep trying to repair it.  Easier to spend $300 ten times than $2000 once.

I think she’s going for the whole adulting thing, too, and holding on to it at least until she has to start commuting regularly again.  So, probably not until later in the summer at the earliest.  Of course, the news that next year’s Mazda3 will probably be turbocharged may cause her to delay even longer.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/20 7:54 p.m.

My (last ever) saltwater fishing boats left over the six months after we became parents. 

Also, my supercharged Tacoma. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 7:59 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

If they put the 2.5 in, that will be one sweet ride.  It's seamless in the CX-9.  I would not say it "scoots" because it's a land whale powered by a four cylinder, but it makes a good accounting of itself and doesn't "feel" turbocharged.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
6/3/20 8:52 p.m.

A little over 20 years ago I sold my Volvo rally car; I'd made a couple of big purchases and ran my bank account down lower than I normally would, right after that the  company I worked for hired a nut job VP who either drove out or fired half of us. I sold the Volvo the week after I got canned. Never regretted it for a second, I was thrilled that had a liquid asset. 

I still had another race car so it wasn't so bad. Rallycross the Crosstrek.......you'll be fine.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/20 9:00 p.m.

Adulting isn't fun, but for what it's worth I always feel better when I do what feels like the right thing. Lately, the right thing hasn't been much fun (school, braces, windows, roof, and gutters). 

I've sold fun cars off in the past to eliminate distractions, prevent future expenses, and once to buy a house. Hopefully the repairs go smoothly and you can figure out a plan to get back to RallyX soon!

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/3/20 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

How about sell your WRX to PenFed with agreed buy back terms and all the while, the car stays in your driveway.

First assumption...you own the WRX free and clear currently.   If yes, Pen Fed will give you a car loan on a car you 100% own.  Currently 2.99% for 3 yr loan and the payment on $7k is about $200 per month

Second assumption...you don't have a home equity line of credit to borrow for the house repair.

Third assumption...that the WRX is worth $7k.  Pen fed will loan up to 110% of NADA book value.

Fourth assumption...you have okay credit. 

Previous thread detailing me borrowing on a car I already owned. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/4/20 6:16 a.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

Previous thread detailing me borrowing on a car I already owned. 

did that once to help sell a house...... ugh.. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/4/20 6:36 a.m.

Another option might to tap into this Covid craziness.  

I'll assume you have a mortgage.  Contact your lender and see if you can get Covid support.  I have heard of people getting payment delay.  That is, no payment due for 6 month.  

I have heard (and you should verify) that there is no negative marks or side affect.  Generally, if the house was originally intended to be paid off in something like 12 years and 2 months now the payoff date is pushed back 6 months or 12 years and 8 months. 

I have heard that little (or no) proof is needed of specific Covid hardship. 

If your mortgage is $1k per month then this could generate $6k to keep your house afloat. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/4/20 6:41 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

I was under the impression you had to show monetary flow issues?

I'd love to take the next 6 months and dump my mortgage payment into my 401k.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/20 6:56 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

For my truck payment ($691 because big diesel 4x4 work truck) I just emailed my bank in march and said my income was slowed to a crawl for now and they pushed my next payment to august with no penalty or fee or additional questions.  

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
6/4/20 7:30 a.m.

Well that sucks.  Your priorities are right, keeping a safe (dry) home is more important than your car.  Can't say a whole lot other than I've been there.....multiple times.  Sold my sport bike to pay off an engagement ring (an engagement I eventually broke off) . Years later, I sold my 350Z because my wife and I had a baby, related medical bills, and needed to replace my rusted out suv with something safer. It's been 5 years since the Z. Still don't have a sports car, I'll get back to it....some day.  Toys come and go it seems. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/4/20 7:31 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

For my truck payment ($691 because big diesel 4x4 work truck) I just emailed my bank in march and said my income was slowed to a crawl for now and they pushed my next payment to august with no penalty or fee or additional questions.  

Good to know. Since there hasn't been any impact to my income, I figured I wouldn't be eligible.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/4/20 7:33 a.m.
Jerry said:

Home ownership sux

Fixed.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/4/20 8:12 a.m.

Thanks for the encouragement, I half expected a bunch of "RIDEORDIE! CARS ARE MORE AWESOMER" but I should know the adults here by now.

This has a partial silver lining, in that it helps my half ass idea of buying a Lotus finally, perhaps next summer.  I thought about selling both the WRX and Abarth to help make it happen.  At least I'd only have one car to unload. #stayingpositive

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/4/20 8:16 a.m.

I'm looking at a roof and siding and gutters trim etc..  I pay up for the good insurance.. The monthly payments stink, but The difference in premiums is now coming back to help as I'm getting it all covered less my $1k deductible.  adulting does stink.   Now the wife wants new garage doors and a new front door and ... and.. and... 

And I want a truck.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/20 8:32 a.m.
Jerry said:

Thanks for the encouragement, I half expected a bunch of "RIDEORDIE! CARS ARE MORE AWESOMER" but I should know the adults here by now.

This has a partial silver lining, in that it helps my half ass idea of buying a Lotus finally, perhaps next summer.  I thought about selling both the WRX and Abarth to help make it happen.  At least I'd only have one car to unload. #stayingpositive

Sell both, buy a skid plate for the crosstrek and blast it at the rallycross

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/20 12:27 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Again, SA is generally won by someone in a Crosstrek smiley  The good part is he does not "look" fast.  He's just a very efficient driver, then awards come up and Duane won SA by ridiculous seconds.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/4/20 12:58 p.m.

On the lighter side of things one of my co-workers this morning goes "People who use the word 'adulting' voluntarily listen to Imagine Dragons on their way to work" gave me a pretty good laugh

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/4/20 1:04 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Since we're sharing in the fun.

I have to put a new transfer case in the wife unit's Suburban. It's sitting in my shop right now, $2000 spent on that.

Wife unit has a birthday this month. New transfer case won't cut it as a present.

Anniversary is end of the month. Yay, it's diamonds this year! Transfer case won't cut it as a present.

Glue fake diamonds all over the transfer case and show it to her.

Then you hand her the real present.

There's still room for some immaturity when you grow up if you keep it in bounds. And congratulations on the anniversary.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/4/20 2:13 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Since we're sharing in the fun.

I have to put a new transfer case in the wife unit's Suburban. It's sitting in my shop right now, $2000 spent on that.

Wife unit has a birthday this month. New transfer case won't cut it as a present.

Anniversary is end of the month. Yay, it's diamonds this year! Transfer case won't cut it as a present.

Property tax is due next month.

F-ing yay.

Our (my) Suburban has been a serious money pit over the last year.  Ball joints and wheel bearings, then a transfer case, then the rear fuel tank and pump, then the AC condenser, then the passenger side blender door, then the front fuel tank pump..... I'd really like to know that it's done being a maintenance queen but at this point, who knows.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
6/4/20 2:34 p.m.

BTW, Forgot to mention another option.... DIY roofing.  I did my own on my previous house about 7 years ago. My neighbor, similar sized house to mine, got a quote for about 10k.  I did my house, with high quality materials for about 3 grand including dumpster rental.  this was a single story 1300sqft house. 

It is not a mentally challenging job. The labor, especially if its super old multiple layers like mine was, mandating tear off, is brutally exhausting  work. On your own, expect a solid  two weekends and a entire week (M-F) of busting your ass daily as soon as you get home from work, till it's too dark to see.   The pros earn their money, no doubt. 

Decking is easy to  remove and install once shingles are off. While decking is off, it's a great time to asses your insulation and add nearly effortlessly as needed.   

With an air compressor and nail gun, new shingle install goes satisfyingly quick. 

pro tip, don't be like me. Have your shingles delivered to your roof.  most building supply companies can do that for you, if you're ready when they are.  carrying them up a ladder later sucks. a lot.  

If you've got the money, pay to have it done, it's a job I never want to repeat.......but probably will someday because im cheap.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/4/20 3:20 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to MrChaos :

Again, SA is generally won by someone in a Crosstrek smiley  The good part is he does not "look" fast.  He's just a very efficient driver, then awards come up and Duane won SA by ridiculous seconds.

I managed to beat him once.  Once.  October event at Opie's in the Subarust (I remember the pumpkin trophies with labels).  They kept calling results and it got down to me and him, I was happy to have 2nd place but I ended up beating him slightly.  Probably a cone or something.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
krN5XXQdJfcfX47jcdfDDW2Qk8MacyAaWW9ChT3hWArUxd6bGJYY8fGbAdyIQToa