1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/20 5:14 p.m.
christinaylam (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to NGTD :

So I did the only logical thing a racer would do which was to get up, rebuild my world, and build a new racecar. 

This is why no matter what happens moving forward you are going to be a winner in my book!!!  This is not only true in racing but applies to life as well.

Again thanks for taking the time to put all this down and being as candid as you have for others to read.  I am sure it is eye opening for some and inspirational for many others.

Best to you moving forward!!

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/20/20 5:32 p.m.

I had an incident during qualifying at VIR Runoffs. I was hit and knocked 30+ feet off the track coming on to the front straight. Fortunately, body damage only. I protested the other driver and it was upheld. He was given loss of qualifying time and points on his license. He never spoke to me in spite of being encouraged by at least one other driver's crew member. He was an inexperienced driver and made a really poor decision. If I hadn't been there he probably would have driven off the track. In fact, the next day in qualifying I saw him go 4 wheels off 5 times in 2 laps. Like Christina, I just decided to move on, although I will be very leery of his judgment any time we are on track together. Fortunately I am a body man and had materials to work with. 8 hours later the car was back together and a paddock neighbor said it didn't look like it had been damaged at all. But as has been stated, if you aren't willing to assume the risk, you should find another sport.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/20/20 5:48 p.m.

In reply to christinaylam (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for yet another awesome article!
I'd hazard that racing is a bad investment for pretty much everyone outside of Mercedes and Ferarri; everyone else should be going in eyes wide open that it's a money pit!

It's no different than boating, just more fun.

BigsexySVG
BigsexySVG New Reader
4/20/20 8:15 p.m.

Ouch! Seeing you in the hospital made it so real. Future racers will benefit from the insight  this series of articles will provide. Racer do assume a certain amount of risk. Some just don't really see how much risk is involved until it becomes real. In the end I'm sure we would all want more justice if we were in your shoes but mistakes were made and hopefully everyone learns something from it so these things can be avoided in the future. Glad your okay. Keep up the fighting spirit. Hopefully we can all resume racing in the near future. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/20 1:31 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to christinaylam (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for yet another awesome article!
I'd hazard that racing is a bad investment for pretty much everyone outside of Mercedes and Ferarri; everyone else should be going in eyes wide open that it's a money pit!

It's no different than boating, just more fun.

You know the old saying about how to make a small fortune?  Take a big one and go racing.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
4/25/20 9:09 p.m.

Wasn't it also a part of back-in-the-day SCCA "gentlemen racing" that doing harm to one's car and one's person meant the guilty party offered to pay for damages and put things right?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/25/20 9:47 p.m.

When I started super late model stock car racing, my friend and car owner said, "If you are not comfortable with sweeping your car up off the front straight now and then, perhaps motor racing isn't for you."  Combine that with Ken Schraeders, "It was half my fault.  I chose to be on the track with that guy.", and you have my attitude towards wheel to wheel racing.

Doesn't make me any less mad when a bonehead costs me money, though.

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
4/25/20 10:04 p.m.

Streetwiseguy......much agree!

Also believe it pays to think that way wether you are rally/autoxing, track daying, or w:w racing. On track I keep in mind what MSF teaches about riding a motorcycle on the street - every other vehicle is out there to kill you (my words not theirs). YMMV

jray0683
jray0683
4/26/20 12:05 a.m.

Great advice from Greg Amy, kudos to him for sharing the secret!

One apparent weakness in our protest process is that each event seems to be processed as a transaction. There is not a lot of historical reference to see how many previous protests and accidents in which a driver may have been found responsible.  Maybe it's a fear of prejudicing the current event decision, but it seems to miss the opportunity to address repeat bad behaviors.  It worries me that a troublesome driver can have quite a resume of previous incidents, but nothing seems to ever get addressed unless a group of driver protest loudly.

I have once made a protest and been subject to a protest another time, both of which were found in my favor.  The process seems to work fairly in my opinion, but it is stressful.  Having in-care video and witness photos seems to have made a big difference.  The protest I submitted made the difference in my earning a regional championship, so that part was good for me, but I don't see the process fixing adequately the problem drivers. 

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
4/27/20 9:50 a.m.

I would like to thank you for sharing this experience, my journey is still in process but having your experience is invaluable.

Earlier this year, in a borrowed car, I completed the weekend requirements to acquire a license to run with two different sanctioning bodies.  After the weekend I have come to a number of conclusions, they include; 1. You can buy a race car.  2. You can work on a race car.  3. You can drive a race car.  4.  You might be able to race, a race car.

I come from the world of cone tipping, if I have one more instructor comment about shuffling the steering wheel I will own it as a badge!  I will not cross my arms at the wheel.  It makes me plan ahead, nuff said.

I have had the luck of driving with a combination of cars, in a number of events and until this weekend of class I had driven to a point that my goal was to not be passed by the really fast cars, more than once, a session.  Day two of the weekend they spent a good portion off classroom time on the topic of your thread.  Racing means this will happen.  

Again, Thank you for sharing.

David

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iRscDB4J3isJvCUgUa4XluRERMgDXDOvGmDzcyoS8iH5dqILFYlnSsvh5NGfrnjR