noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/12/14 7:39 a.m.

The Nissan IDX concept. Looking at the pictures of these I was under the impression that the styling was trying to invoke the classic 510. I just could not see it. But when I finally saw a picture of a 610 in another thread it clicked for me.

But it does leave me the question, where did I get the idea that the IDx was the recreation of the 510?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
5/12/14 7:41 a.m.

nobody could remember what a 610 was, but they had to say something.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
5/12/14 8:19 a.m.

I think it looks like this:

The other car that toured with the IDX was even the same color as this.

That is the first gen silvia.

Same exact shape, front end even curves down the same way.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/12/14 8:21 a.m.

IDX is even 510 in roman numerals

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
5/12/14 8:23 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: IDX is even 510 in roman numerals

DX is 510.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
5/12/14 8:42 a.m.

Every time I see the IDX, I'm fine as my eye passes over the contours, I like the greenhouse area, I think the panel lines are kinda cool, and then I get to the front fascia and my mind just goes WHAT THE BERK ARE YOU STUPID BERKTARDS THINKING WHAT THE BERK IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE?!!!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/14 8:58 a.m.

I dislike the C pillar more than the nose....

trucke
trucke Reader
5/12/14 9:03 a.m.

Interesting that the sideview mirrors/cameras are mounted to the hood, not the fenders. Must be cameras, because it does not look like the driver can see them around the A pillar.

olpro
olpro Reader
5/12/14 9:14 a.m.

Pedestrian safety laws and extremely narrow streets - Japanese cars have had fender mounted mirrors for years

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
5/12/14 11:12 a.m.

It's a modern 510 because isn't that what Nissan announced it as? As already mentioned, the DX in iDX is the Roman numerals for 510. The 610 isn't as iconic as the 510, and the idea of a cheap, light (hopefully), basic RWD car obviously is a nod to the awesomeness that was the 510. Seems clear to me, even if the lines are reminiscent of a 610 or Silvia. Either way, I like it! I'm sure the actual production model will be a little more simple, styling wise.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/14 11:24 a.m.

My brother had an orange '73 610. It was a great car back then. He got hit by a drunk driver in the early 80's and replaced it with an MGB.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
5/12/14 11:54 a.m.

Maybe it's just me but I think it looks a lot more like a first gen Celica coupe than a 510.

Then again I thought that retro-Thunderbird thing Ford made a few years back looked more like an updated 57 Corvette than a 57 T-bird.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/14 12:21 p.m.
SEADave wrote: Maybe it's just me but I think it looks a lot more like a first gen Celica coupe than a 510.

I agree.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sGppyVaZO0GP1VVTauDaK5RS40FoRIBzfo09DRGmSrjV6MVgK2JEdd2YrqSoKb3n