porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
7/25/08 7:18 p.m.

I need to clean the K&N air filter in my truck. I have a can of aerosol oil from K&N (about 20 years old) to re oil with, but I seem to have lost the cleaning stuff. Anyone have a grassroots solution? Do I just use soapy water?

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/25/08 7:39 p.m.

Soapy water probably won't get it out, as its oil based. I used super clean the last time I ran out of the K&N cleaner. It might even be the same stuff. Go to a bike shop, and get some no-toil air filter oil. It cleans out with soap/water, or (better), one of the oxi cleaners.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/26/08 3:29 p.m.

20 year old K&N oil would have me dropping $10 on a kit with fresh oil and the K&N branded spray soap. Make sure the filter is plenty dry before oiling up again.

To avoid over oiling, just lay it on. Toss the oiled filter into an old pillow case you would otherwise toss or cut up for rags. Make like you're doing the Olympic hammer throw to wring out any excess. Then, as the French would say, there you go.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/26/08 6:33 p.m.

BTW, the no-toil is available in a spray.

anjalisnv
anjalisnv New Reader
4/6/12 12:22 a.m.

Upholstery Cleaning I’m impressed, I must say. Very rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educational and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your thoughts is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I’m really happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to it.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
4/6/12 10:03 a.m.

DAWN dish wash might work. It absorbs oil.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
4/6/12 2:16 p.m.

Something like simple green or purple power is what I use to clean them. I am pretty sure their cleaner is just about the same stuff, it sure makes me cough like those do.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/6/12 5:19 p.m.

I've used Super Clean on them with no problems. When oiling, don't be real concerned about overoiling UNLESS you have a MAF which could get contaminated. I generally just fire up the engine and watch the excess go away.

corytate
corytate Dork
4/6/12 7:23 p.m.

I did mine literally four days ago. Make sure to plan for at least 6 hours of drying time. I didn't think this through and ended up staying home on a night I hadn't planned to stay home. lol
I sprung for the $10 kit at advance because my cleaner supply was very low as well. If $10 every year to clean it ain't grassroots, idk what is lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9koE8ediFIXxTmxvDrLiWysDh1zBgVhttsWU7gGzzEO6E4iZlFeo69uq65JcvpEq