1 2
fifty
fifty HalfDork
7/6/14 11:36 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to Klayfish: will Mitsu be around in 5 years is the main question for the mirage.

As an electric car manufacturer, most likely.

Since I drive in heavy traffic all day, safety ratings mattered to me - might be worth factoring into your MCDA.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
7/6/14 11:54 a.m.

I still think a used Prius is the answer here, better place to spend time in than the new penalty boxes you are talking about, and better mileage.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/6/14 12:21 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I still think a used Prius is the answer here, better place to spend time in than the new penalty boxes you are talking about, and better mileage.

Might be, but I need to double check with the bank on if there are mileage restrictions. Most Prius in the price range I'm looking to spend have high miles and often in a used car loan there is a requirement on how many miles the car can have. I'm not sold on the penalty box idea, still looking.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/6/14 3:28 p.m.

I think I would go with a used E36 M3box, due to the miles you'll be racking up. As long as it still runs when you sell it, there is little to lose monetarily.

Just make sure you have working AC.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/6/14 9:02 p.m.

Some banks might be more flexible about financing a car if you're fronting ~50% of the value. If they're only paying 4k for a chance to repo a 9k car they might bend. Although as i said, your 5k bought me an entire 07 Prius.

I've only driven the CVT Mirage but i can tell you the CVT Prius is certainly 3X the car that the CVT Mirage is. However, im sure the stick adds a lot to the slow car driving experience. I think mileage will be a wash between a highway-driven mirage and a 2g Prius. Ours averages ~43-44 with my partner driving.

cwaters
cwaters Reader
7/7/14 5:19 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Tejas? A 2 season state... 2 wheels will get you 55-70mpg and provide mucho rapido for when you want grins to go with the commute. It will set you back a lot less to buy too.

OP said it was GA. I'be really hard pressed to recommend a bike for a long commute every day.

Klayfish, I know you're thinking with your brain right now but you're ass is going to be sitting in that car a LOT. Your 50 miles is going to take a long time (my 25 miles into the city takes about an hour and I'm just south of you in Douglasville) so don't discount your overall happiness level when making this decision. Buy something you'll be OK spending a lot of time in, even if it takes a few more clams to shift it down the road and you'l be happier in the end.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/7/14 6:11 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: My first impression is the $3500 Integra would be the least expensive option. Remember, you will be stacking on 100 miles a day...500 a week, 2000 a month, 24,000 per year, so resale value on a real car is going to drop like a stone. Something with all the depreciation worn off already will beat the heck out of any increase in fuel economy.

about a 2000 Integra with 72k for only $3500 … I would have it checked out a dozen ways to sunday … that's STUPID low for car (is it a 4 door ? … that might change my mind a little about the price)

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/7/14 9:25 a.m.

I sold my mom's 01 with 88k for $6200 about 3 years ago. Im sure they've come down incrementally since then but generally speaking, a TRULY NICE integra is still worth a lot of money. I could probably shop at least half a dozen local Prii for under $6200.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J3KQtkmhMBDj8sECKA0IMNr7WCVbS6UUItit0woTBjHtIK6EOTtnLWqRsFNdMBuQ