Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/21/19 12:34 p.m.

I need to put new tires on DD#2's 2006 Impala.  Haven't checked the size yet but Tire Rack tells me 225/60/R16.  Wet and light snow traction are a priority.  Decent dry weather performance is desirable but face it on a 14-year-old Impala outright handling is not a priority.

Please don't lecture me about how much better dedicated snow tires would be.  Honey badger don't care.

Normally I would get a set of Continental DWS but either they have been superseded or they are not available in that size.  I have had several sets of the DWS and I love them for this kind of duty.

I am considering the following:

1) https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TrueContact+Tour&partnum=26HR6TCT

2) https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Advantage+T%2FA+Sport+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=26HR6TATAS

I'm open to other brands, but I have never liked any Goodyear or Firestone tires I've ever had.

I'm looking at Tire Rack because I can save $10 / tire by picking them up at their warehouse, which is 10 minutes away from where I work.  But I am not stuck on them as a vendor.

What does the GRM hive recommend?  Thanks.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/21/19 12:46 p.m.

Here is another option:

3) https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/continental-control-contact-tour-a-s-plus/p/39207 - These can be had with a $70 / 4 rebate, so about the same as the other Contis above.  Special order, but I don't need them tomorrow.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/21/19 1:25 p.m.

4)  Buy the 225/55-17 Continental DWS06 and some new wheels, because damn, there's not a better tire for your needs than that.

DWS 06 is the new version, and sadly you are correct that they don't have any 16" fitment within an inch of the diameter you need.  Boy that Impala is on some balloon tires!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/21/19 1:51 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

A nice idea, but that puts me over a kilobuck instead of $500 installed.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/21/19 1:53 p.m.

Im running the first continentals you listed on my mazda6. Just about the best dd tire ive ever had.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/21/19 2:03 p.m.

I have no direct experience with the TrueContacts but if you look a couple ticks down in that category you find the Michelin Defender T&H for $130/tire. My dad just bought those for his van, and I put about 2000 miles on them when i took his van on a long road trip. I only drove on dry pavement but their ride quality is shockingly good. In fact, the only reason i know about the TrueContacts at all is because i went to Tire Rack and looked up ratings in that category to find out what could possibly be better! (??!)  Based on past experience with a bunch of other Michelins I'm pretty confident they're good at everything.  The Contis are cheaper so if you end up with those report back, I'd love to hear that they're just as good. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/21/19 2:24 p.m.

Kumho should offer the Platinum LX in that size. Thats my go to. 

*Edit Yep, $88 each free shipping. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/21/19 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I saw those.  I read the TR performance review and the Contis were slightly better in the dry and wet, but dunked over the Michelins in light snow.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/21/19 2:53 p.m.

man... you need a costco membership..

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/21/19 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I'm not seeing a huge difference in price.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/21/19 3:26 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Vigo :

I saw those.  I read the TR performance review and the Contis were slightly better in the dry and wet, but dunked over the Michelins in light snow.

If it helps, I just installed my 5th set of these tires on the 4th car over the last 10 years. After about 3 winters they do start to get hard in the snow, but by then we're usually down to the wear bars anyway so..... And while at the dealership I sold a crap ton of these. They were usually on TL's that had the michelins. The owners were never dissatisfied and were happy to spend less than half. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/21/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Cool, thanks.  I'm still shopping, but at right around $100 each (if I pick up) they are looking like the front runners.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/21/19 3:42 p.m.

I cannot speak to snow. But ive got 20k on my set so far. Best tires ever for an appliance large sedan.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/21/19 3:51 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Duke said:

In reply to Vigo :

If it helps, I just installed my 5th set of these tires on the 4th car over the last 10 years. After about 3 winters they do start to get hard in the snow, but by then we're usually down to the wear bars anyway so..... And while at the dealership I sold a crap ton of these. They were usually on TL's that had the michelins. The owners were never dissatisfied and were happy to spend less than half. 

Do you mean the Kuhmos or the Contis?

The dealer installed Platinum LXs on our T&C before we bought it.  While I don't really have any complaints, I'm not eager to spend my own money buying them.  I would have preferred their installed cost off the selling price if they had left whatever was on it and let me replace them myself.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/19 4:02 p.m.

General RT43s are a remarkably good tire for the money.  I've never had one with force imbalance issues, either.  I put those on practically everything and have had no complaints.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=26TR6AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

It is also available in a speed rated model for the same price.

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
10/21/19 4:20 p.m.

+1 to the General RT43s. We have used Walmart.com for 2 sets. Best installed price in this area for this tire.

Rog

chada75
chada75 Reader
10/21/19 8:17 p.m.

When I was running 16s on the P71, Ran 225/60/16 Pirelli P4s. So far the Best Wet and Light snow tire I ever ran. At Sam's Club mounted and Lifetime warranty was $115-$120 per tire. The 215/65/16 were even better for Snow.

driver95
driver95 New Reader
10/22/19 9:12 a.m.

Another set of tires in your price range is the Vredestein Quatrac 5. I have used the Truecontacts in snow and I think the Vredestein's perform better. They are currently on SWMBO's car, and I think I paid close to 600 installed. They have been great so far, ~10k miles.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+5&partnum=26HR6QT5XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2006&autoModel=Impala%20LS&autoModClar=

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/22/19 1:28 p.m.

Thanks for everybody's input.  I went with the Continental TrueContact Tour as originally posted.  Cost was $102 each in hand, including state surcharge, plus installation.  I'll give my impressions after they are on the car.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/22/19 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Obviously you've made your decision, but the Kumhos. I've never purchased a set of Conti's personally. The biggest thing most dealers screw up with tires (Especially vans and SUV's) is they don't get the extra load range tires. That makes a big difference in a lot of cases. They aren't the best tire for everything, but FWD sedans they work. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/22/19 3:01 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Fair enough.  The T&C weighs in somewhere around 4700 pounds, so if the tires are feeling the strain, it could affect their performance.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/22/19 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

that was a big thing I fought for 10 years. They never wanted to put the RIGHT tires on for the vehicle, merely the cheapest. With the customers it was a lot easier because most wanted safe.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/22/19 3:38 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I'm not seeing a huge difference in price.

They're doing a buy four get a $100/off promo on michelins right now.  in a month they'll do the same with Bridgestones.  Usually mounting and balacing are free and same with TPMS...  It's the easy button.  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/19 6:09 p.m.

I've had a few of everything on the Buick and I'm going back to Continentals for the next set. They drove great and wore like iron. None of the others have work as well. The Jeep came with them and reminded me what good tires they are.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/22/19 7:54 p.m.

I have the T/A Advantage sport you listed on my e30. They're good cruising tires ( I mostly just use them to drive to rallycrosses and occasional woodland drives).  Dry grip is good.  Good in rain, haven't used them in snow. Handling is about as good as it can be for a softer-sidewall touring tire, which is to say it's pretty responsive, but not as sharp as the UHP Sport Comp 2 A/S's that I run on my GTI and Porsche.. I'd suggest that tire instead, but that's not available in your size unless you can stuff a 245/50 or drop to a 225/55.  If you're willing to do either of those things, I highly suggest them, they're GREAT in rain and dry and decent in snow. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lpuyNgkkOxDLeOXRSEoQBRoyZqCVLJOHNYxT6aS89yGF61qxGCqRI0kT4csXj7Xj