1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/13 8:01 a.m.

Michelin Alpina? Not cheap but I put a set on my 924s this fall and it as if winter has not happened yet (three significant snow storms later)

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
1/4/14 10:47 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Thanks for finding the CL posting of the A4 tires John! I ended up buying them for $225 from the owner.

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
1/4/14 10:49 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm thinking I'll give the DWS a shot in the future. Thanks to JohnRW1621 and the Craigslist posting he found I nabbed a set of Blizzak WS70s for $225 and that'll do the job for the next couple years. I may give an all season a shot on my next car though.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/4/14 11:09 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Driving in 50* weather on snows wont wear them out, actually that's about how cold it needs to be to bother putting them on. You can even run them on the track http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/winter-tires-track-tested

agree....I put my wintersport M3s (Dunlop) on the WRX on November 1st and keep them on until the end of March. Here in DC we only get 3-4 (usually small) snow events each winter, and most of the winter is in the 40s or 50s (it was 70 last week, and 15 this week, go figure).

Anyhow, I'm now on my 4th season with the same set of tires (so they probably have about 25k miles on them) and they're still at 60-70% tread, on an AWD 300hp car.

Performance winter tires are pretty much just as good as an all-season in everything short of the full heat of summer (upper 90s here), and they don't wear any faster. If I were you, I'd just go with a performance winter set for 6 months of the year, and a summer set for the other 6 months. Initial cost is a bit more, but in the long run it costs the same, and you get better tires for the conditions during the hot and cold months. Just my 2 cents.

M030
M030 Dork
1/4/14 11:44 p.m.

General Altimaxx Arctics are actually made by Gislaved & turned my 924S into a little winter tractor

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/14 8:45 a.m.

The new altimax rt43 is supposed to have excellent snow traction for an all season. I'm trying them later this month and will have a comparison versus the kumho lx platinum

Moparman
Moparman Dork
1/5/14 10:32 a.m.

Just put Pirelli winter tires on my son's ZX2. The work wonderfully in the snow and perform better on dry roads than any winter tire I have had thus far. Got them for $68 a piece on Tire Rack.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/14 11:56 a.m.

I've heard good thing about the Cooper CS4

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
1/5/14 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

Maybe they've changed since then, but the Cooper CS4's I got in 2007 were NOT good in snow at all. Good in rain, quiet-ish, long wearing, but I could get stuck on ice in a flat parking lot. This was on a Honda Accord, if that matters.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/5/14 1:04 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

Nothing short of a RMA certified snow tire is going to do very well on ice.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/5/14 4:44 p.m.

I just installed the latest Kumho Ecsta PA31's on my AWD Speed6 and I have to say I'm very impressed with them. Plus they were Kumho inexpensive and included a $50 rebate.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
luyBn4bAsngjnHdcYFzcMp5v9NpDagS6Wc4c0kuFBka77fyuLkTVp5r9jAkpctbY