Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/23/20 8:10 a.m.

Stopped at a mailbox to drop off a Xmas card, hit the window button & reached over to get the card.  Heard a very loud CLUNK.  Oh, that's not good...

Yup, I'm hoping the window just came off a track or something, vs broken regulator and/or window.  Tried hitting the button up and down, heard a few clunks and can hear the motor running.  berkeley.  Thanks again 2020.

Early March would make 7 years since I bought it, first thing to actually break/fall apart.  Luckily I have 2 other cars to drive, and it will be in the 50s on the way home.  The last 3-4 miles to work at 36F was fun with no window.  Wonder how hard it is to get the door panel off and apart?

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/23/20 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Quite easy to get the door cards apart, good chance it's off track

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
12/23/20 8:55 a.m.

My son is car shopping right now and we were just talking about his 500.  I think it's the luck of the draw. Either you get a good one or you don't.

He loved his 500, but it was not good to him

tremm
tremm Reader
12/23/20 12:57 p.m.

if you need a temp immediate bodge, you can sometimes stick a good suction cup to the bottom of the interior glass & let it act as a stop.

Or pull the panel, and (if it is a cable style regulator) use a vice grip to clamp the cable

Or wedge a 2x4 / similar piece of wood to physically hold the window up.

Or (depending on what the new part comes with) clamp the regulator track.

etc. Glad to hear it's been going strong for 7 years

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/23/20 2:50 p.m.

They said it might rain on my way home. We use stretch wrap for shipping large machines on pallets.

I lived in Kentucky for awhile, I'm allowed to do this. Git r dun.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/23/20 8:28 p.m.

Got on the highway and immediately stopped at a rest stop. Vibrating so loud I was going deaf. Cut it all off and made it home before the rain. I have two other cars to drive for awhile.

Our Preferred Partners
7d4j3z5DvOOs7MP3bn1HmZ0HCjUA5TtJ91yCQBapkI5kKpuLyO6DmeC3EvX36xCO