1 2 3
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/21 3:55 p.m.

Reminds me of my kids old Automoblox

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/5/21 10:48 p.m.

I dig everything from them, but I wonder if they'll have to change their name. That is, of course, assuming that they make it at all. But you have to figure that GM (Alpha Platform) and FCA (Alfa) would not be happy with the naming convention here. Don't forget, Rivian used to be Avera until Hyundai asked them to change their name - and that was because it sounded too close to Azera. Z vs V, not even the same sound like Alpha/Alpha/Alfa.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/22 6:54 p.m.

Memorandum of Understanding 

These guys are outsourcing and I am happy about it.

Thinking on it I think the Wolf is still awesome but if I end up with an oil burner truck I can easily see buying one of Alpha's other cars. They are definitely retro cool.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/22 11:23 p.m.

I think we may be in for a very interesting time as some significant barriers to entry drop for small manufacturers. Alpha is the design studio, UHI provides the manufacturing, ??? provides the drivetrain. I really hope they can get some of these designs to market, they're too cool.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/22 6:53 a.m.

I saw one of the Wolf models while visiting the Petersen last fall. It looked incredible in person. They did a fantastic job of design and it really(!) looked like an early Tacoma. I loved it!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/24/22 9:15 a.m.

For me, I am hoping for the Canoo to become reality. I love that they dumped the whole hood to give a shorter vehicle with still a reasonable size bed.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/24/22 9:21 a.m.

The designs are great overall. I could see any of them in my garage honestly. I really took to the Ace Adventure and the Saga Estate. Those really spoke to me.

I hope this comes to be the future. Build a few platforms and let coach builders style them. 

Keith Tanner
5/24/22 9:23 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

They didn't move the people forward, only the windshield. It's got actual packaging like a Transit. It only looks like a forward control.  

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/22 9:30 a.m.

I love these things.  I hope they make it!

I'm still hoping for an electric minivan before our 05 Town & Country bites it.  Unfortunately, it really does need to have 320ish range (that can pick up a few hundred during a normal 45m-1h dinner stop) and seat 7 and cargo.. So really, an electric Town & Country.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/24/22 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah but it still is significantly shorter in the front then more vehicles with a regular hood. From what I remember, the bed is Ranger sized but the whole vehicle was quite a bit shorter (also a smaller rear seat). I am pretty sure crash requirements would prevent a true forward control anyway.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/22 9:39 a.m.

Dumb EV truck question:  How are they at plowing?   My use case for a truck right now is very truck-like, sitting most of the time, plowing in the winter, trash hauling, and occasional gravel & mulch loading.   But the most important one of those is plowing in the winter.   Sounds like an EV would be perfect (except for the current cost). 

I'd imagine they'd be great.  Heavy and low center of gravity, independent control of each wheel, infinitely variable torque, etc.. But has anyone done it?

And yes, I know, there's not really any real, purchasable trucks right now on the market, except maybe Rivian (have they shipped yet?).

Keith Tanner
5/24/22 9:45 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

It's a little better than most ICE vehicles, but it's no Doka :) The only real packaging change is a short front overhang Agreed that modern crash requirements would make a true forward control unlikely. Would a frunk be more useful, space-wise, than having basically a window in front of the steering column?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/22 9:51 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

It's a little better than most ICE vehicles, but it's no Doka :) The only real packaging change is a short front overhand. Agreed that modern crash requirements would make a true forward control unlikely. Would a frunk be more useful, space-wise, than having basically a window in front of the steering column?

I always assumed that space in front of the driver was a frunk, of sorts. Is it not? That's a huge waste of space otherwise. I really like the Canoo, it's in the running for an EV which can hold my whole family.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/22 9:53 a.m.

Ewww

Keith Tanner
5/24/22 9:57 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Ewww

That does not mesh with the picture of the interior that has the big window below the windshield. Is the exterior glove box an option?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/22 10:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
tuna55 said:

Ewww

That does not mesh with the picture of the interior that has the big window below the windshield. Is the exterior glove box an option?

Agreed. These both may be renderings of different options or different ideas they had. Either one is a design fail. There is a lot of space there to use.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/23 9:08 p.m.
preach
7/28/23 9:20 p.m.

I am a 4x4 guy but can you imagine a '90s style mini-truck look on one of these?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/29/23 8:23 a.m.

I'm pretty sure Walmart is already running some Canoos for delivery vehicles.

preach
7/29/23 3:39 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I'm pretty sure Walmart is already running some Canoos for delivery vehicles.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/12/23792450/canoo-ev-nasa-artemis-defense-government

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/9/23 2:56 p.m.
TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/23 3:54 p.m.

In reply to preach :

Love it so much.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/9/23 6:23 p.m.

Alpha says that the Wolf will be available with rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive powered by a 65-85 kWh battery with 400-volt charging capability. It’s aiming for a 275-mile (442 km) range, a towing capacity of 3,000 pounds (1360 kg), and a 0-60 mph (96 km/h) time of 5.8 seconds.

None of those figures are particularly groundbreaking, but the design certainly is. It blends retro and future cues into a small but muscular package. The Wolf will also be available in multiple configurations. According to the EV startup’sreservation website prices for the Wolf are estimated to range between $36,000 and $46,000, depending on the model. However, given the many unknowns and the fluidity of Alpha Motor Corp. plans, we’d take that starting price with a grain of salt.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
10/9/23 7:20 p.m.

In reply to preach :

I'd rock that, it's a proper truck.  Hopefully they can build a bunch soon and they're not $85K.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/9/23 9:18 p.m.

I'm very cynical of new car manufacturers - not the promised products, but the real-world viability. It's Enormously difficult and expensive to pull off - and to be profitable. I'm local to Aptera (an EV wannabe) and have been watching them for 12 years or so. They've already gone under once before, and their current timelines just keep slipping ("It's almost too late to order!"). Then they pitch the car as a "lifestyle", which is ridiculous given that there are no owners. Anyway, to this thread; it's one thing to have something pretty, but to take it off the screen, out of the design studio, to set up production, distribution, and a sales network, well, it helps to have billions in the bank, hence Musk being one of the few able to pull it off.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1lMYmsqx0QYIY5b9Tc1lqPX1u9i5TurMc7QYJQ9NGEqsjFZxqhNcslYC6vTMfsCw