donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/31/12 1:22 a.m.

finally have some motivation and working on the s10 project

for those that don't know... it's a b20ft (2.3l turbo) volvo sitting in an '88 s10 the ...http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-s-weed-10-volvo-power-468204/

I'm a bit stuck on the alternator... both are internal regulator types... I'm trying to intigrate the bosch/volvo alternator into the wiring of the s10.

the stock GM alternator is a CS style so it has the big output 12v stud and then 2 other wires something like this

the bosch has only 2 (plus ground stud)

from what i've found on the s10 forums

one of the wires on the s10 is for the "check battery light in the dash" and the other is an IGN-GAU fuse

here is the s10 alternator schematic if it helps...

so in short... how do I make the bosch alt work with the wiring of the s10? I thought I'd had it figured out but when I got it all together it wasn't right. (been a while and I don't recall exactly how I wired it.. its un-wires now)

thanks a ton guys mark

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
5/31/12 8:43 a.m.

Post the schematic for the car the Bosch alternator came in.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
5/31/12 8:50 a.m.

Bolt on a GM CS one wire alternator and leave the spaghetti to the Italian chefs?

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/31/12 8:50 a.m.

Yeah, we really need to see both schematics to avoid burning your truck down.

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/31/12 10:08 a.m.

The plug from the Delco alternator should look similar to this. If it has extra wires cut the off close or pull them (with the connector) completely out of the plug so it looks exactly like this on. Put an eyelet on the red wire and run it to the same terminal as the big fat power wire, the white wire (or what ever color the third wire is on your harness) goes to the signal wire. Ground it where ever you want. Done!

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/31/12 10:14 a.m.

Whoops, I was thinking the swap was the other way around. If you want the Bosch alternator to work in the S-10 you just need to hook the battery wire up to the + post and the third wire in the GM harness to the "signal" post. Or if you want to make the Bosch alternator self-exciting (but your dash warning light won't work) just run your big wire to the battery and put a diode between the "signal" and "+" terminals.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/31/12 11:44 a.m.

i'd try and dig out a schematic/diagram of the volvo

16vCorey... if thats the case would the 3rd wire just be not used?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7o7tThMP19ioDgwCypJuj5oQV7N5Dk5iYuSjznic35F7o4o5mtZXEzY3bkRQLutu