sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
10/8/19 7:09 p.m.

I as a rule don't get emotionally attached to vehicles. My old Miata is probably the only exception to that rule.. Back in 2005 I traded my 1966 Mustang for a 1996 Miata. Most everyone thought I was nuts. ( and maybe I was... ) At the time though, I wanted an autocross championship and I thought that was the car to get me it. I was so right! In 2005 I won E stock with it and in 2006 I won C Street Prepared with it... still bone stock with over 100,000 miles on the OEM suspension.  I have so many great memories with that car. Everything from being accused of cheating in E stock ( some folks thought i was hiding mods ) to convincing some CSP guys that I always ran with the headlights up because it added front downforce.  Not only was it an amazing autocross ride, it was also a dead reliable daily driver. With 4 snow tires even winter didn't slow it down.

When I built my Karmann Ghia I gave the Miata to my then wife as a bribe to let me register and insure the Ghia. Automotive ADHD strikes again... In 2009 we divorced and she kept the car. When my oldest started to autocross it was his regular ride. He maintained it and kept it in great shape. When he graduated college she gave it to him. He had pretty much taken it over by then anyway.

Over the years he has taken great care of it and done a ton of work on it. Its been sitting a lot the last few years, and he'd talked about selling it after he bought his Fox body Notchback. A few weeks ago when I started looking for a reliable daily that got decent mileage, we discussed me taking it back. I'm so glad we did. I've put more miles on it since Friday than it's seen in the last year. I missed it! Its like coming home! I didn't realize it, but it happened...  I have an emotional attachment to a car.

I was feeling nostalgic and tracked down some pictures of it from back in the day.

Shortly after I bought it back in 2005

Some action Shots!

Aaron in it around 2010

Friday Night

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/19 7:22 p.m.

Congrats. Sometimes a car is just meant to be yours. 

_
_ HalfDork
10/9/19 12:09 a.m.

Now don’t let it go. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
10/9/19 6:22 a.m.

yes

After a couple years enjoying our NA Miata, we bought a C6 'Vette.  After a few months of owning the C6 I decided to sell the NA to buy a snow capable vehicle since the C6 had replaced what we previously had, and ended up trading the NA to a local lot for a Bronco.

Our NA languished on their lot for 7 months before I couldn't take it any more and bought it back.  It's always nice to bring home the ones you love! laugh

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 6:49 a.m.

Never had one come home. Generally I use a car up and it is ready for the scrap yard or I get rid of a car because I truly hate it. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/9/19 6:57 a.m.

Congrats on getting an old friend back. Mine just don't seem to ever leave.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/9/19 1:43 p.m.

The only one I had that bond with ended up getting derbied. Who knew people pay premium money for a 2 door 80s Marquis just too smash it because it allows more legal bracing then a 4 door!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6rSJdzfUOjOFA8bSgy2PIN5lsrlMm6SQV2J7iSYGTJEPKOhIjCrrXZH3SycfFXWF