CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
11/9/21 9:54 a.m.

Seems to be a rough time for my E250. 

Last night I started noticing the transmission slipping in reverse. Great.

Im on the road with little access to tools, so I figured I would find a shop and have them change the filter and drain/refill with new fluid to see if I could get a little more life out of it.

One quick lube kind of place will change the fluid but not the filter. A Indy shop said that changing the fluid and filter could make it worse. Really then.

What would you all recommend? Just have the fluid changed and see if it helps, find a shop that will do fluid and filter, take it directly to a transmission shop and have it replaced? Light van on fire and walk away?

No Time
No Time SuperDork
11/9/21 10:48 a.m.

This is outside of my expertise, so I'd wait for a there to provide input, but...

I wonder if this is a situation where Type F fluid may gain some short term improvement at the expense of longevity?

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
11/9/21 1:35 p.m.

Hmmm, interesting thought. 

BTW, I just checked the fluid and it's really clean and full. And of course it didn't slip this morning when I reversed.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/21 2:51 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Hmmm, interesting thought. 

BTW, I just checked the fluid and it's really clean and full. And of course it didn't slip this morning when I reversed.

I'd just drive the thing and hope for the best.  Whatever it's unhappy about isn't likely to get better after changing clean fluid and having some random person mess with it could screw it up.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/9/21 4:44 p.m.

Transmission Rebuild in a Can .. just kidding!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/21 4:54 p.m.

Don't park where you need reverse to get out.  Problem solved.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
11/9/21 5:04 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

That makes sense. Thanks.

@Stampie, I know right!

@einy, that's what I want!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/9/21 5:18 p.m.

I limped a blown up Chrysler fwd auto home from Tennessee once with lucas trans in a can. berkeleyer had three quarts in it by Charlotte NC and only had second gear by the time i hit albemarle. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
51spOM80WbfFuBPYlDrgu9tPuqa2KEvf4Lbi4ehSrs2GGBwnPb2oS46p2dG1CmwJ