1 2 3 4
93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/27/10 5:23 p.m.
turboswede wrote: The Government just announced special pricing for folks who are switching from their Toyota's. DOG PILE!

Fixed!

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
1/27/10 5:28 p.m.

Pretty sure it was the first trip to the toyo dealership that made em' sheeple.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/27/10 6:01 p.m.
kreb wrote:
GR40RACER wrote: I won't say I totally trust any car maufacture, but now I trust Toyota the least out of them all...
I wouldn't be so quick to discount a company with such a stellar past, but their armor definitely has some gaps in it. Wasn't there a problem with structural rust in some of their trucks? The Toyotas that I've had have been bulletproof, however.

Yes, which they offered to inspect, and if bad enough, buy back your waaaaaaay out of warranty truck for high market value.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
1/28/10 12:01 a.m.

The trouble started when UAW built Toyotas instead of Japanese

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/10 12:19 a.m.
kreb wrote:
GR40RACER wrote: I won't say I totally trust any car maufacture, but now I trust Toyota the least out of them all...
I wouldn't be so quick to discount a company with such a stellar past, but their armor definitely has some gaps in it. Wasn't there a problem with structural rust in some of their trucks? The Toyotas that I've had have been bulletproof, however.

Which would be great if people were shooting at you.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
1/28/10 10:52 a.m.
4eyes wrote: The trouble started when UAW built Toyotas instead of Japanese

Are the parts they think are are having problems with from a UAW represented supplier? Or are you trying to appeal to the "Labor unions are evil" flock of sheeple?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/10 10:57 a.m.

Actually I take that back. I had a serious suspension failure on my 4-runner (tie-rod) which Toyota fixed even though the truck was 8 years out of warranty. Oh, and they threw in a tune-up and oil change on top at no charge.

It'll be interesting to see if the Prius worship in Berkeley, CA (where I work) continues unabated. The anti-American car sentiment here is as great as it is anywhere. Most likely it'll just spike sales of Insights and the Fusion hybrid will remain off the radar screen.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
1/28/10 10:58 a.m.
Type Q wrote: are you trying to appeal to the "Labor unions are evil" flock of sheeple?

We are not sheeple, they are Evil. They werent int he 20s, 30s and 40s when they were needed. Nowadays, they are just a money sponge on mfrs. Its a commonly accepted fact, but perhaps a discussion for another thread.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
1/28/10 11:09 a.m.

I don't entirely agree... or disagree......

I believe it was when Toyota decided they wanted to be the biggest car company.

The "copied" how the biggest did it... eventually following many of the mistakes of the biggest.

If you remember the late 80s through the late 90s, Toyota quality was nearly beyond reproach.

They had a world wide program back then to support the car owners... called DIY... for the owner to be able to service his own car if he chose to... and to aid him in doing it.

Good luck with that today

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
1/28/10 11:16 a.m.
alex
alex Dork
1/28/10 11:45 a.m.

Quiet! You'll awaken AlfaDriver.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/28/10 11:50 a.m.

Let them buy VW's and GM's or Fiats. Then in about 2 years they'll be thinking (if possible) "Gosh, I traded in that perfectly good Camry that never gave me a bit of trouble and never accelerated by itself despite being recalled just to make sure for this (VW, Cheby, Fiat) POS that has been in the shop once a month for the past 2 years. I think I got took."

Funny thing, Kreb. I broke a tie rod end on my RN Truck too. Just up and snapped right in half when the Buick Roadmaster plowed into the wheel at 60 MPH. Musta been defective too.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
1/28/10 12:07 p.m.
alex wrote:
Quiet! You'll awaken AlfaDriver.

What? Am I the only American here who earns a living working in the US for a US company?

I don't think so.

E-

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/10 12:15 p.m.

"Am I the only American here who earns a living working in the US for a US company?"

This makes me think of a thread that comes up various places and almost always pisses me off. it's "berkeley company X if they can't produce a better product. I always get the best!" (Says the guy who is internet surfing on his employers dime rather than doing his utmost to make his own products top-notch.)

I for one appreciate Alfadrivers pro-Ford drumbeating. If everyone was so passionate about their work, the world would be a better place.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/28/10 12:17 p.m.

I don't beat the drum for my US company, because it's likely that 99.5% of you hate them.

Just be assured that i do my part to make your lives easier, and leave it at that.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/28/10 12:23 p.m.
kreb wrote:

And the ones I've had were rolling piles of flaming poo. Literally. "Gaps in their armor" started abou t10 years ago. 5 years ago they were just making crap. Now they're making crap that kills you.

I don't know about you, but I am seeing a distinct pattern here.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
1/28/10 12:28 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Let them buy VW's and GM's or Fiats. Then in about 2 years they'll be thinking (if possible) "Gosh, I traded in that perfectly good Camry that never gave me a bit of trouble and never accelerated by itself despite being recalled just to make sure for this (VW, Cheby, Fiat) POS that has been in the shop once a month for the past 2 years. I think I got took." Funny thing, Kreb. I broke a tie rod end on my RN Truck too. Just up and snapped right in half when the Buick Roadmaster plowed into the wheel at 60 MPH. Musta been defective too.

I own a GM vehicle (currently) from every decade from the 60s on. They are holding up pretty damn good. My 1960 VW is still plugging along, although I can't say the same for my wife's old 96 Audi cab, which is why she now has a new Solstice GXP coupe. I've also owned 6 Toyotas, all from before they turned boring, and they were good cars, but no better or worse than many of my other cars. This whole recall thing would actually bother me if Toyota made anything interesting these days....now I just don't care.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/10 12:39 p.m.

Oh come on Eric, I work for a US company, we sell and repair German vehicles that are mostly manufactured in Mexico ;)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/10 12:53 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I don't beat the drum for my US company, because it's likely that 99.5% of you hate them. Just be assured that i do my part to make your lives easier, and leave it at that.

I love your US company.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/28/10 12:56 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: I don't beat the drum for my US company, because it's likely that 99.5% of you hate them. Just be assured that i do my part to make your lives easier, and leave it at that.
I love your US company.

Welcome to 0.5%.

I love my US company, too. Not only do they cut my paychecks, but i took the GF to the doctor yesterday, and they performed a biopsy.

I won't be seeing a bill, thanks very much.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
1/28/10 1:03 p.m.

Eric and I see eye to eye on this one. As he so eloquently put it, we all have the same physics. Toyota was in their prime 10 years ago, just like GM had theirs, and etc... The companies aren't as fundamentally different as Consumer Reports types would like to think. I have sold to both as a tier 1, and I can honestly say it like my Dad said it after spending his whole life fixing cars (apologies, Eric):

Son, they're all crap. Every one of them. Just pick the type of crap you want to work on the most, and buy that crap.

I agree.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/28/10 1:31 p.m.

^, I love that.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
1/28/10 1:34 p.m.
kreb wrote: "Am I the only American here who earns a living working in the US for a US company?" This makes me think of a thread that comes up various places and almost always pisses me off. it's "berkeley company X if they can't produce a better product. I always get the best!" (Says the guy who is internet surfing on his employers dime rather than doing his utmost to make his own products top-notch.) I for one appreciate Alfadrivers pro-Ford drumbeating. If everyone was so passionate about their work, the world would be a better place.

If you lay it on company X, and there is evidence that it's correct- I have nothing wrong with that. But what was insinuated was that Toyota's problems lie with the US engineers and the US supplier, just because they are US trained. That's not a back hand to most of us, that's a kick in your specific sensitive areas.

Have some pride in being American, and educated at American Universities. We are not perfect, but to blanket ALL of us? I don't like that.

Is Ford perfect- of course not- we, too have problems. But is it BECAUSE we are American? No.

The UAW isn't a problem becuase they are American, it's because they are greedy. So to imply that Toyotas built in the US are inferior is just as wrong.

That's my point.

Anyway, why people like to beat up on their fellow American's is kind of surprising. If you buy a Toyota because that's what CR says- ok, I can deal with that, (leave out editorial). But if you buy Toyota because they are Japanese and we are American- that's a bad reason.

Sorry about the rants.

Eric

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
1/28/10 2:21 p.m.

^+1 million

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/28/10 2:52 p.m.

I agree with you Eric. Unfortunately, the problems we are experiencing in this country are caused by our politicians and a culture of "gimme." American production was destroyed by tax and tariff laws that let megacorps move that production to the third world. In trying to compete with that, the American companies started to produce crap because it's cheaper (look at about any GM interrior), all the while giving themselves bonuses for being so smart.

It's sad to see that Toyota may be falling their top position, but given Japan's very bad economic outlook, it isn't surprising. I think the race right now is to see if Greece or Japan goes bankrupt first.

My Camry (1997, 5SFE) was made in USA.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EPrmKEDXWcCtHRvt7vSNFuVhBqWds6kM9Z2rrCSSIjdq7Row4ZLZ8R49AQA6V8Yl