1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/29/19 9:38 a.m.
feature_image

Quick, name the top-selling model in the current Porsche lineup. Boxster? Cayman? Cayenne? 

How about the Macan?

Scroll down for the official release. And let us know your thoughts in the comments below. 

Press Release 26/07/2019

Growth at high level in the first six months

Half-year results: Porsche increases sales revenue by nine per cent

Stuttgart. In …

Read the rest of the story

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/29/19 10:03 a.m.

I don't care what revenue they allegedly provide to specialty car makers.

The hell-spawned SUV / coupe crossover segment cannot die a quick enough death to satisfy me.

Massive SUV exterior size combined with seriously restricted interior space?  Check.

Sports sedan handling compromised by pointless ride height?  Check.

Cayenne Coupe, BMW  X6, Mercedes GLC, whatever else - I hate every single one of these vehicles, from every manufacturer.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/29/19 10:11 a.m.

No surprises there.  If I was shopping for a Porsche, it would be the Cayenne, but I'd wish it was a little larger.

Edit:  The market for toys will always be small.  Enthusiasts should embrace the fact that Porsche manufactures vehicles that real families can use as that enables them to continue to offer 2-seat sports cars for recreational use.  You can't have one without the other.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/19 10:11 a.m.

According to Porsche, Macan is Indonesian for Tiger.  

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
7/29/19 10:20 a.m.

Do they combine sales numbers with the audi Q3? (snicker)

Im glad it allows sports car makers the revenue to keep their good cars alive, but i share Dukes sentiment about looking forward to the CUV segment's demise.  Based on wagons, then minivans, it should be about the time the next generation becomes parents and their predecessors tastes become "uncool".

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/29/19 10:31 a.m.

I understand why they are doing it (as made obvious by the sales numbers), I just wish they had created some sort of related sub-group to badge the non-sports cars. 

Obviously, the appeal of their SUV's to many, is heavily influenced by the badge.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/29/19 10:41 a.m.

Many years ago I was at  the Porsche factory  and was taken to lunch by one of the department heads at the employee canteen , 

His big push was the SUVs as it gave Porsche a good income so they had money to develop the 911 and Race shop , 

Same as the Boxster  got the Porsche name  back out in the public with a  lower priced sports car.

I guess the same could be said with most of the car companies , without SUVs and Pick Ups where would they be ?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/19 10:49 a.m.
Duke said:

The hell-spawned SUV / coupe crossover segment cannot die a quick enough death to satisfy me.

Massive SUV exterior size combined with seriously restricted interior space?  Check.

Cayenne Coupe, BMW  X6, Mercedes GLC, whatever else - I hate every single one of these vehicles, from every manufacturer.

I think they're ugly and disgusting.. But they continue to have fantastic profitability and they continue to allow MFR's to build the stuff we love. 

Mazdeuce and I have had multiple conversations about this. 

For every cayenne and Macan and panamera they make with a stupid profit margin they can invest in a project with little or no ROI. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/19 10:51 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

His big push was the SUVs as it gave Porsche a good income so they had money to develop the 911 and Race shop , 

Same as the Boxster  got the Porsche name  back out in the public with a  lower priced sports car.

I guess the same could be said with most of the car companies , without SUVs and Pick Ups where would they be ?

Yep. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/29/19 10:52 a.m.
Duke said:

Good thing there are those of us out there that rather drive the things you hate rather than a minivan or wagon. And you wont be forced to drive a CUV as there's money made from them for other types of vehicles to be produced and driven by you. So, we all win. Don't wish the quick demise of the financer of our cool things.  That's selfish sir! I want my Macan and 911 too! 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/29/19 11:00 a.m.

I just never understand why automotive "enthusiasts" love to hate vehicles that other people love.  

There are plenty of vehicles that don't appeal to me, but if it has wheels and is able to be driven, I usually can see the appeal in it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/19 11:12 a.m.

this hate coming from the people who love the AMC Eagle

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/29/19 11:14 a.m.

People like these. Spend their money on them. Show them off to their friends. Porsche makes people happy. Not much to complain about. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/29/19 11:23 a.m.

I like these, myself. I've got no problems with them on any level. I find it kinda funny that we recommend the CX-5 to no end; well, the Macan to me is basically a very upscale CX-5. In fact, friends of mine have been cross-shopping a new CX-5 and a used Macan. Go figure.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/29/19 11:26 a.m.

Macan, has replaced the C/3 series, as the local “Secretary” special lease model 

all secretary and sorority girls have them

nothing to complain about. More power to their buyers and its manufacturer.

Not my cup of tea - but variety is the spice of life. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/29/19 11:39 a.m.
spacecadet said:
Duke said:

For every cayenne and Macan and panamera they make with a stupid profit margin they can invest in a project with little or no ROI.

I get that.  I prefaced my statement with that.

Honey badger still don't care.

parker
parker Reader
7/29/19 11:40 a.m.

The roads are full of blobby things.  They have compromised handling, poor use of interior space, can't go off-road, can't tow.  I don't get the appeal.  Of course I also don't get why people drive giant diesel duallies from the apartment to the cubicle.  To each his/her own.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/29/19 11:43 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Not here.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/19 12:00 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Macan, has replaced the C/3 series, as the local “Secretary” special lease model 

all secretary and sorority girls have them

nothing to complain about. More power to their buyers and its manufacturer.

Not my cup of tea - but variety is the spice of life. 

Well paid secretaries!

I like the Macan. If I had the money, I'd be happy to have one in the garage for my girlfriend to drive. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
7/29/19 12:01 p.m.

I’m not so sure the handling is compromised. I haven’t driven one but by most accounts, they are wicked fast on a track. 

I don’t really care that people like them, even if I think they’re silly. I don’t want one because of how compromised the interior space is.

Oh, and I can’t afford one, so no one cares what my misgivings are!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/29/19 12:06 p.m.
parker said:

The roads are full of blobby things.  They have compromised handling, poor use of interior space, can't go off-road, can't tow.  I don't get the appeal.  Of course I also don't get why people drive giant diesel duallies from the apartment to the cubicle.  To each his/her own.

I'd be willing to bet that one would not have to go too far back to find the 911 that is slower around the 'Ring than the Macan.  As for the towing, I doubt that P has put real effort into it's actual rating, but being considerably more powerful and better braked than most other SUV/CUVs, I'd pull 5k without even worrying about it.

I would not get one either, but if someone spends money so P can go racing in GTLM, go for it.

edit- a quick search says that a Macan did the 'ring in 8:15, which is apparently faster than a 993 version if a 911....  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/29/19 12:08 p.m.

I saw a slammed nissan juke the other day. Im pretty sure that suspension travel was measured in thousandths. But damn did it look good! Changed my opinion on CUV. Essentially theyre a lifted hatchback at this point. 

The Porsche is a lifted hatchback. Photoshop one slammed on fat rubber and i bet you'd dig it. I know i probably would. 

Uve had other cuv as rentals and they dont really suck. I dont have a need they fill, and i was cross shopping mazda cx stuff with a mazda6. Theyre that similar these days in my mind.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/19 12:10 p.m.

I’m all for it.  Porsche selling tons of SUVs puts money in the budget for these.....

Rest assured if I ever come into millions that’s what I will buy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/29/19 12:16 p.m.

False. The best selling Porsche has Mattel on the chassis.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/29/19 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Duke, I agree with your sentiments, but we cannot blame the OEMs. They produce what the people are willing to buy. The issue is that the general public for some reason has lost their minds and want/likes/prefers SUVs. The market dictates this mess. The only way they will stop making stupid SUVs without much utility, but also not so great at being sporty is if they stop making money on them.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
46qzTcrcpgATScws3FdLaske59GsQ26k8SsZc7wjnZq6WNw7qkLsE2371k0vR5pp