1 2
Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
2/12/09 9:03 p.m.

I know, I know this issue has been beaten to death but with the Daytona 500 coming up this weekend SPEED channel has truly become the all NASCAR channel. Nearly 24 hours a day. They haven't even been showing the other shows which we have all seen 100 times like Pinks and Barret-Jackson re-runs and that big wrecker show. Sure do miss Speedvision.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/12/09 9:26 p.m.

it was like that last year for Daytona...and it probably will be next year too.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/09 10:09 p.m.
Targa Newfoundland and TV2Go are delighted to announce that the 2008 TV program will be shown throughout Europe in 37 Countries some of which include (Greece, Romania, Belgium, Hungary, Spain, Cz. Republis, Croatia, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Norway, Estonia, Macedonia, Slovenia, Latvia, Russia, Malta, Ukraine & Denmark) this coming weekend (Feb 14th).

It's scheduled to play on SPEED on March 15th. That's a month after it plays in Slovenia.

monark192
monark192 New Reader
2/12/09 10:29 p.m.

But when does Slovenia get the Daytona 500 ??

I kid......

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
2/12/09 10:29 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Targa Newfoundland and TV2Go are delighted to announce that the 2008 TV program will be shown throughout Europe in 37 Countries some of which include (Greece, Romania, Belgium, Hungary, Spain, Cz. Republis, Croatia, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Norway, Estonia, Macedonia, Slovenia, Latvia, Russia, Malta, Ukraine & Denmark) this coming weekend (Feb 14th).
It's scheduled to play on SPEED on March 15th. That's a month after it plays in Slovenia.

That's good to know.

Monroe
Monroe New Reader
2/12/09 11:07 p.m.

Ya they do suck.....they are missing out on running NASCAR over night because they are showing paid programing.......Honestly I don't understand why they don't have a Grassroots show. I have pitched the idea to three people who develop tv series but they just don't understand!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/09 11:33 p.m.

Targa 2008, March 15, 3 pm, SPEED.

Back to speed bashing :)

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
2/13/09 12:19 a.m.

Overexposed to NASCAR? You should try living in Daytona this week.

Still, television without the Speed channel would be worse. Hell, they even sponsor a Touring Car series, so it's not like they hate road racing.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm looking forward to the next season of Bullrun, too. I wonder if they'd let us enter a GRM team next year...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/13/09 6:51 a.m.
Keith wrote: Back to speed bashing :)

I knew the semi good programing wouldn't last

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/13/09 7:26 a.m.

I just don't understand Speed,the whole point of the damn channel was motorsports not NASCAR. I don't care who owns it, you can't just change a channel like that. Instead of showing Pinks 80 times, show an actual race. And they wonder why Americans only really know about NASCAR.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
2/13/09 8:10 a.m.
Keith wrote: Targa 2008, March 15, 3 pm, SPEED.

Will you be autographing TV Guides?

Is that 3 PM Newfoundland time?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/13/09 8:27 a.m.

It's REALLY simple folks. Advertising dollars call the shots. With Nascar comes megabucks. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not, NASCAR is mainstream american motorsports.

Try telling someone off the street you're into racing. Chances are, they'll start talking about NASCAR.

The fact that SPEED is primarily NASCAR oriented is an effect folks, not a cause.

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/13/09 8:31 a.m.

By the way,

I would LOVE to see more roadracing and other sportscar type coverage on a dedicated network (that I would not be willing to pay for...) but it just won't happen because there would not be enough demand for it.

Old addage:

In NASCAR all the fans know their favorite drivers' names.

In roadracing all the drivers know their fans' names.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/13/09 10:27 a.m.

Still glad i dont get speed on the basic sat. package. I also dont have any cable Fox channels to skip. Just wish i had BBC... what is Top Gear on?

captainzib
captainzib Reader
2/13/09 10:55 a.m.

bittorrent ftw!

boofighter
boofighter HalfDork
2/13/09 1:58 p.m.

for those in canada TSN has been showing the targa in re runs for a few days now.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/13/09 10:47 p.m.

Not that I'm taking sides, but don't forget that about two weeks ago Speed showed a ton of Rolex at Daytona coverage.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
2/13/09 11:17 p.m.

The last few times I've checked SPEED for any sort of actual racing, I've found Wrecked, HIN, and Pimp My Ride, just to name a few. Oh well.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
2/13/09 11:42 p.m.

The people at SPEED must be watching this board.. they had a sneak preview of Bullrun on tonight..even interrupted some Daytona stuff to air it..

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/14/09 12:30 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Just wish i had BBC... what is Top Gear on?

http://hessmo.com/Hessmo/Top_Gear.html

that is all....

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
2/14/09 6:33 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Not that I'm taking sides, but don't forget that about two weeks ago Speed showed a ton of Rolex at Daytona coverage.

Agreed, but I think that it was only because NASCAR hadn't officially "started" yet for the season. If there had been a major NASCAR race that weekend the coverage of the Rolex might have been severely reduced or maybe not at all.

I am not against NASCAR (it's not my thing) and I certainly understand business and where the dollars come from but come on.....can't they mix it up a little?

You are right about the Rolex though......it was some sweet coverage.

car39
car39 Reader
2/14/09 8:56 a.m.
NickF40 wrote: I just don't understand Speed,the whole point of the damn channel was motorsports not NASCAR. I don't care who owns it, you can't just change a channel like that. Instead of showing Pinks 80 times, show an actual race. And they wonder why Americans only really know about NASCAR.

I believe SPEED is owned by the same marketing company that handles NASCAR. The overdose of re-runs was probably caused by SPEED getting caught short when NASCAR eliminated the pre-season testing. I knew SPEED was going to go down hill a few years ago. I know a former, long term employee who told me the new owner spent his entire time at the US F1 race trying to find some other sport on the TV in the suite. My friend quit a few weeks later, rather than become a NASCAR die cast drone.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/14/09 1:39 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Just wish i had BBC... what is Top Gear on?
http://hessmo.com/Hessmo/Top_Gear.html that is all....

THANK YOU!!!

jde
jde Reader
2/15/09 2:33 p.m.

Watched Bullrun last night, not sure if I was supposed to be laughing with or at the participants.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
2/15/09 3:50 p.m.
Supercoupe wrote: The people at SPEED must be watching this board.. they had a sneak preview of Bullrun on tonight..even interrupted some Daytona stuff to air it..

Bullrun... is that the Road Rules like reality-TV show?

(Bring back Legends of Motorsport!)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VhiNCo21BehbwMBpidMoPQ3Z3w4HPBZEfPfwNKdn878CZu7eA44LP30XqoH1hZxx