Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/14/11 8:29 a.m.

One Lap CRX

We're building a new track toy to replace "Sneaky" (K20A-swapped Civic) and you can watch the project unfold. We'll be posting updates from the build, testing info, and on-the-road updates as the event itself unfolds.

We're going to try using Facebook this time, as it integrates nicely with our iPhones for on-site updates. You should be able to access all content w/o logging in.

We'll try and come back to this thread to let you know when updates are in. So far, the car and engine are purchased, engine bay is prepped and motor has been test-fitted.

The goal for this year is less weight, more power, and real aero. K24 is the power plant, and an 89 CRX HF is the platform. Goals are 260 hp in an 1850 lb car. Should be a potent combo, to say the least.

Here's a pic of Sneaky in last year's event:

Enjoy!

--Andy

mw
mw HalfDork
1/14/11 9:19 a.m.

It looks like an awesome time. It's something I will have to do one day.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/14/11 9:37 a.m.

Sounds like a fun car. Too bad I am a luddite and refuse the facebook. Will there be a GRM article about the car at some point in the future?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
1/14/11 9:44 a.m.

Awesome! I remember seeing you at Hallett last year, but didn't want to bug you while you were messing with tires.

Good luck this year!

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/14/11 10:14 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Sounds like a fun car. Too bad I am a luddite and refuse the facebook. Will there be a GRM article about the car at some point in the future?

That's David's call, but certain elements will be prime candidates for tech articles.

As for FB, like I said, you don't have to join or login. Just click and go.

--Andy

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/19/11 9:33 p.m.

Updated with pics (and part #'s) for custom cooling system.

--Andy

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/27/11 9:28 p.m.

Updates: Engine electrical & fuel system

Oh yeah...and then...we fired it up!

Click here: One Lap CRX

--Andy

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/27/11 11:36 p.m.

Wow, does this make me happy.

I hope it runs well and may you slay many giants with it.

I'm not on FB, but I hope I can remember to check progress.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/13/11 8:36 a.m.

Update: Suspension is now swapped over from the old car. Click through on first post in thread to see the site. --Andy

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/25/11 10:13 p.m.

Update: First hot laps in the new car today at Harris Hill !!

Brakes are on, seat is in, fuel is fixed and WOT is tuned.

Laying up fiberglass tomorrow for the hood.

Going to Barber next weekend!

OneLapCRX

--Andy

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
2/27/11 7:18 a.m.

Not bad, have you considered using the V6 swap though, versus the K-series? all that torque is a good thing.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/3/11 9:53 p.m.

In reply to digdug18:

Plenty of torque with the K24. In fact, in this light of a car, it is pretty much ridiculous.

--Andy

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/3/11 9:53 p.m.

Lots of progress this week. Roll bar, seats/belts, custom 'glass hood and a ton of odds and ends. Car has left the shop, and is on the trailer for an early start tomorrow am. Destination "Barber Motorsports Park" for a little recon weekend. That is, unless we all get washed away in the predicted monsoon Fri/Sat.

We took the car out to Harris Hill today for a final shakedown and nothing fell off. Did notice some overheating with the hood on and sealed up. We'll need to vent that for sure. For now, I can only do 2-3 hard laps in a row before it cooks. Might have to run sans hood this weekend.

--Andy

Vigo
Vigo Dork
3/3/11 10:05 p.m.
in this light of a car, it is pretty much ridiculous.

Exxxxxxxxcellent.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
3/4/11 8:04 a.m.
Andy Hollis wrote: In reply to digdug18: Plenty of torque with the K24. In fact, in this light of a car, it is pretty much ridiculous. --Andy

Still, if you get a chance, check out the 3.5liter V6 swap if you get a chance.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/7/11 12:48 p.m.

Update: Took the car to Barber Motorsports Park for a PCA DE event. This will be one of the tracks we rn for One Lap this year, and it helped a lot to gain some insight on what is a very technical layout with lots of elevation change. Blurbs and some pics on the site in the links above.

--Andy

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/10/11 9:01 p.m.

More happening quickly now...

Got the thing smogged (temp cat install), salvage title converted, and tagged ("ONE LAP").

Then we took it to the Harris Hill Road for the first timed laps at our home track. The massive torque of the K24 was giving us fits with wheelspin which took some suspension tuning to fix. Once we got that done, we set a new lap record for FWD cars. Yeah, on street tires, no less. 1:25.9

Heading to Houston tomorrow to pick up the motor core that we'll use to build up the real race motor. More compression for more power, and forged internals for more revs and reliability.

Stay tuned.

--Andy

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
3/11/11 12:37 a.m.

That is a lot of power for a FWD car. Too much perhaps?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/11/11 5:46 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: That is a lot of power for a FWD car. Too much perhaps?

You've lost me there. I'm afraid i don't understand. What is this "too much power" you speak of?

dinger
dinger New Reader
3/11/11 8:08 a.m.

He has confused this problem with the all-too-common FWD issue "not enough tire".

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
4/26/11 7:15 a.m.

Been over a month since the last update in this thread. One Lap starts this weekend and we are still thrashing (so what else is new?). OneLapCRX.com gets you all the info. We'll be updating from the road, so stay tuned.

Headed to the track today to verify cooling solution (massive Griffin radiator). Fingers crossed.

--Andy

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/26/11 7:20 a.m.

I can't wait to see this monster Saturday.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IXoyOubOZvEkSSFzXNI4vgDHaRhdCSnkR19XW9VfBn1EbHIMihBytaCDWrIwGcE2