1 2
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/22/22 8:44 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

In theory, that's why traditional manuals are bad. :) I had one expert tell me that this DSG will hold 550 hp with just a tune. 

That's a delightful upper limit. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/22/22 9:34 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

My jaw hit the floor so hard it threw a CEL on the nearest VW. laugh

Tom Suddard
11/23/22 10:31 a.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 10:44 a.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to Greg Voth :

We live in Rustville Ontario,rotors pit and chew pads up here.

1st 2 sets were oem,just put jobbers on to see if they survive any better

I had the same experience with my 1999.5 Golf. The thing just ate rotors in Ottawa. Never had the same experience with other cars.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/22 10:46 a.m.

From the new article... 

Volkswagen says a sedan weighs just 48 pounds more than an equivalent coupe

Tom's first tech article: how to drop 48 lbs from a GTI with these awesome lightweight parts!  laugh

Serious question, though - will you be taking emissions compliance into account as you modify this car? It's a real thing for a lot of readers.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/23/22 2:33 p.m.

Fun fact about the "weak" clutch in the GTi/R's.  The stock clutch in my R held up to stage 2 power no sweat.  No slippage at all and was fine when I sold the car.  I'm sure it would've slipped eventually but that's any stock clutch holding 50% more power than it's meant to...

Tom Suddard
11/23/22 4:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

From the new article... 

Volkswagen says a sedan weighs just 48 pounds more than an equivalent coupe

Tom's first tech article: how to drop 48 lbs from a GTI with these awesome lightweight parts!  laugh

Serious question, though - will you be taking emissions compliance into account as you modify this car? It's a real thing for a lot of readers.

Yes, absolutely. 

Benjamin_Casto
Benjamin_Casto New Reader
2/10/23 10:28 a.m.

Watching closely. Wife is pregnant with twins and will need a dad friendly car that can still be auto crossed and tracked occasionally. Been eyeing these and have never thought I would consider a DSG car but, hopefully this will inform that decision. Wondering which is the better car. 

Thanks for the great content per usual. Cheers!

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
2/10/23 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Benjamin_Casto :

I've had my 17 Gti for a year now. it's done numerous trips with 2 adults, 2 teens, and my little guy in a car seat. It's a great daily and family car. I don't track or autocross but there is atleast 1 owner on here that does and has a build thread. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/10/23 8:39 p.m.

These cars interest me but owning 2 Hondas makes me spoiled when I think about high miles and reliability.

Benjamin_Casto
Benjamin_Casto New Reader
2/11/23 5:36 p.m.

In reply to rattfink81 :

Great,

I've owned three Miata's, but have always thought if I need a do it all it would always be a GTI or Civic Si. To easy to make a case for either. 

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
2/12/23 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Benjamin_Casto :

my wife has a 2012 Civic Si, great car as she's put 80k on it of its 155k and it's need only a a/c compressor besides normal wear/tear stuff in our ownership. My wife loves this car.

My gti has 45k on and I did the clutch as it was slipping when I bought it and front pads/rotors.  I'm a vw guy when I comes down to it so...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oCy3u1rKcGFPjOkbVFME0yE9Hu0XULOkmSpIyAV7VDBDlzu22kR4fy8WelhINngr