1 2 3
Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/17/16 2:05 p.m.

There's a possibility some people here already saw this coming. I've been looking towards trying to get into something in the 10-20k range that was basically done depreciating for years now. It started back when NSXs and Ferrari Mondials were in that range (yes, i kinda like Mondials!) and got a little more urgent when those cars doubled in value and went out of my price range. I've been watching a number of other cars since then such e46 m3s (congrats David Wallens), 996 911s, and Lotus Esprits. I also considered BMW 850s. Just looking for something sufficiently different/special that would have 'the look' since most of my projects for the last long while just look like crapcans.

Anyway, I kinda wrote off 850s as being too limited to their looks and not having a sufficiently special/different driving experience, and Esprits seemed to only rarely pop up much under 20k and seem to be in project status for most of their existences and have horrendous interiors. By comparison the 996 has everything the 850 wouldnt in terms of limit handling being totally different from an everyday barge, and everything the Esprit doesn't in terms of having a fairly unembarassing interior and DD reliability without a serious going-through. Plus, even with the 996 front end, the overall shape is undeniably iconic and i've never heard any complaints about anything behind the a-pillar. I've also seen far more of them in the 10-15k bracket and a greater selection semi-locally which just makes everything easier. The e46 m3 just wasn't done depreciating (close, i think) and being just a trim level of a plebeian model always worked against it considering my criteria. Ultimate speed or stock performance was not a primary factor in any case.

I ended up getting a 99 Carrera 2 6spd with 113k for 12.3k. So far, i'm very happy. It has some small issues that helped keep it in a happy price point for me that i'll be able to address easily, but nothing that's stopped me from putting 700+ miles on it in the 2 weeks i've had it in my possession.

There's a story of angst and uncertainty that goes along with the purchase, and i have a few more pictures, but i'm starting here and trying to avoid an ominous wall of text. Also all my pics so far are either from a CL ad or my Iphone 5c so tough crap on that one too.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
9/17/16 2:09 p.m.

Great looking car, and congrats! What color is that?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/17/16 2:43 p.m.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this car in person. You do have the patience to find the good deals.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/17/16 3:00 p.m.
JAhmed wrote: Great looking car, and congrats! What color is that?

Peanut butter

Nice snag! I don't think I've ever seen that color in person on a 911. Definitely adds to the rarity.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/16 3:51 p.m.

Cool find, congrats.

BTW, if it has the full leather interior (I can't tell from the pictures), make sure you get a sunshade for the windshield. On mine the leather is lifting in places and that's going to be a fun repair...

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
9/17/16 4:02 p.m.

Very nice!

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/16 4:35 p.m.

Congrats! I have always liked the 996.

n8
n8 New Reader
9/17/16 5:04 p.m.

Very cool. Has the IMS fix been done on it?

I've been wanting a 911 myself and eyeballing the 996 Turbo to replace my STi for many of the same reasons you stated. I have a feeling that they aren't going to depreciate too much further. They're already a pretty good bargain. The IMS issue is the main reason I haven't really considered a base Carrera instead of a Turbo.

maj75
maj75 Reader
9/17/16 8:29 p.m.

From that last picture, you must have the shortest legs, ever.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/17/16 8:39 p.m.

Very nice. That's a lot of car for $12k. I suspect that you'll be able to drive this for years with zero depreciation. I just can't picture a 911 being worth less than that without major mechanical or cosmetic problems.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/17/16 10:55 p.m.

Very cool. Love the color.

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
9/18/16 1:06 a.m.

Judging by the 700 miles so far you must enjoy driving it. I bought mine for almost double what you did and I still think it is my favorite car ever after a year and a half of ownership. During that time I have put an oil change into it and a set of tires on it. I drive it to work and my kids to school almost every day rain or shine and I still take long winding routes places just to drive it. Hope yours treats you similarly. Jcamper

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/18/16 1:31 a.m.

Beige! There's a bit of Camry lurking inside you, isn't there?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/18/16 12:34 p.m.

i should've bought one when they were that cheap

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/18/16 4:41 p.m.

He just bought it a couple of weeks ago. They still ARE this cheap, theoretically, as long as you're in the right market and buy well.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/18/16 4:49 p.m.

Still pretty cheap. Here are few.

2001 - $13.9k
2001 - $17k (with IMS fix)

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/18/16 5:07 p.m.

sweet

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/18/16 11:59 p.m.

I'm in southern California. They were that cheap earlier this year but now, the only ones you can find under 20k are auto cabs. And a few beat up examples.

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf HalfDork
9/19/16 1:48 a.m.

Very nice!! I was considering a 996 a while back but chucked the idea and was hot after a C5 Z06 Vette. Still haven't found the right deal though...

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/19/16 7:09 a.m.

Thanks everyone. I'm posting from work first thing after clocking in but have a lot more pictures at home.

I believe the color is Palladio Metallic. I forgot the name of the interior color. I think the color combo probably made it harder to sell, but it's perfect for me.

It does have the full leather interior complete with several spots of minor damage/degradation. I was supposed to get a Porsche car cover with it but it wasn't in the car as it was supposed to be. I didn't actually pick the car up from the guy i bought it from (that story is coming) so i'll have to find another way to get it from him. For now the car is in my garage but it will be forced outside many many times.

I also don't think you'll be able to get one of these for 12k or under for very long without major issues. The only car i've recently seen listed below 12k in my area needed 'headgaskets'.

As far as the Camry comment, if you look in the 3rd pic you can see the similarly colored Dodge Dynasty that (other than a 'body swap' years ago) is the same modified beige family sedan i've had for almost 15 years now and not been able to let go of.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/19/16 7:54 a.m.

Isn't your Prius that color too?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/19/16 7:55 a.m.

Nice! Seems like a great deal. Hopefully it stays that way, much in the same fashion I hope my $32k Z06 doesn't get any more expensive than it already has.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/19/16 11:22 a.m.
Isn't your Prius that color too?

Basically. If anything I wish the 911 was more brown.

And then there's this:

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/19/16 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

They run somewhere in the high 13s quarter mile iirc?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/19/16 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Well with some training and work, I think I can get it to run the press over at the factory on second shift. Might have to start it out on the dock though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IBdtcxbNyb4kluITkNbMSeS1KUFiGZv6YItSXZFvoRlnivIlkrpZyoZZu2K851Ka