1 2
GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/11/09 3:02 p.m.

Personally I am on the lookout for a late 98 or a 99 ti since they came with side airbags. I find the arguments against the ti strange. Somehow the rear suspension sucks on the ti but underneath an E30 it is f'ing great. Underpowered 4cyl is useless on the ti, but it is a well balanced combo on a Miata. Given the ti is 2-300lbs heavier than a Miata, but still the ti is closer to the true low weight sports car theme than an E36 M3. Plus the hatchback, how many RWD hatchbacks have been available in the US since 1995?

walterj
walterj Dork
9/11/09 3:24 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Personally I am on the lookout for a late 98 or a 99 ti since they came with side airbags. I find the arguments against the ti strange. Somehow the rear suspension sucks on the ti but underneath an E30 it is f'ing great. Underpowered 4cyl is useless on the ti, but it is a well balanced combo on a Miata. Given the ti is 2-300lbs heavier than a Miata, but still the ti is closer to the true low weight sports car theme than an E36 M3. Plus the hatchback, how many RWD hatchbacks have been available in the US since 1995?

The ti is fine if you think of it as a 5 lug E30 but... the rear suspension on an E30 has never been any good. The Miata has a real, sophisticated suspension and less weight to make an anaemic tractor motor seem less awful and the M3 has world class handling, power and poise. The ti only has cute looks and a hatch. It is still a cool car - just not as cool as some of its competition for my $.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/09 3:50 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Personally I am on the lookout for a late 98 or a 99 ti since they came with side airbags. I find the arguments against the ti strange. Somehow the rear suspension sucks on the ti but underneath an E30 it is f'ing great. Underpowered 4cyl is useless on the ti, but it is a well balanced combo on a Miata. Given the ti is 2-300lbs heavier than a Miata, but still the ti is closer to the true low weight sports car theme than an E36 M3. Plus the hatchback, how many RWD hatchbacks have been available in the US since 1995?

You are not the only one who finds the arguments against the ti to be odd. If you go on bimmerforums.. most guys there will call them "ugly"

I love to remind them that until you hit the rear wheels, the Ti looks like every other e36 (aside from the z3s)

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/11/09 8:49 p.m.

It looks like a nice little car to me. Especially for $2,000. I'd jump on it!

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
9/11/09 9:01 p.m.

It got relisted on CL by a dealership with a half-assed website. Same asking price:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/1368888755.html

I might still look at it, but I'll approach with caution. If he nixes me bringing it to Turner, then no deal.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero New Reader
9/11/09 9:03 p.m.

I like the ti.

It has the front end grip of he E36 and rambunctious rear suspension of the E30.

With minimum tinkering they handle really well

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/12/09 2:02 p.m.
walterj wrote: The ti is fine if you think of it as a 5 lug E30 but... the rear suspension on an E30 has never been any good. The Miata has a real, sophisticated suspension and less weight to make an anaemic tractor motor seem less awful and the M3 has world class handling, power and poise. The ti only has cute looks and a hatch. It is still a cool car - just not as cool as some of its competition for my $.

For my education, can you make a ti handle as well as an E30? Apples to apples how does an E30 318is compate to a 318ti? Since the E30 is the defacto hardtop car recommendatoin on this board I assume people know how to dial in the rear suspension. I miss my NB miata every day, I just need some more practicality.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4SG7LfynTWXll8KiuZSPDzS0CNcpcUbxZEBeuahQB1QfVbK9gFZ5Ody33j1asZWJ