1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/15/20 1:20 p.m.

In typical GRM fashion I'll throw out something totally different. The FWD version of your S2000. The 8th gen Civic Si. Come join us nerds. There's no issues with parts availability. Way way way under your budget. Although from your list it seems FWD cars don't interest you.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
7/15/20 1:35 p.m.

I have no idea why everyone isn't urging you to buy that Mitsuoka, but I certainly will. That car is a JDM fantasy and truly unique. Get it, drive it, sell it for more than you paid.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/20 1:51 p.m.

In reply to white_fly :

I suspect the rest of the participants in this thread might be slightly saner than we are?

The Mitsuoka is not that unique IMHO - it does look like a plain Lotus Seven:

Not that that's a bad thing.

My main concern with it would be any repairs to the space frame if it needed them, and someone able to build a replacement, strengthened rollbar.

OTOH if I feel the need for more power, I know how to find Keith's employer, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the regular Miata upgrade parts also fit.

7/15/20 2:22 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Yeah, I'm not a big FWD person, at least outside driving on the street. I did own (and track) an Integra Type-R in the past, but still prefer RWD. And I don't feel rich enough to buy a Civic Type-R.

I actually thought about getting a 2004-2006 Mini Cooper S as I enjoyed the one I had on the street, but it was another one of those cars I wasn't too keen on tracking.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/15/20 3:27 p.m.

American iron runs at VIR and Summit point.  Run Cam at autocrosses. S197 makes sense 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/20 3:35 p.m.

Going again to non-street ears again ex ASA or other stock car converted to LR. If you dig around they can be sub $20,000 with spares and lot of parts availability. 

7/15/20 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

How heavy is the clutch on these? I've driven quite a few rental ones including a couple of Hertz Shelbys, but they were all slushbox'd.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
7/15/20 3:48 p.m.

I would buy an S54 swapped e36. Parts literally all over the place. Great aftermarket support. Nimble but compliant chassis. Neutral balance that begs to be slid sideways. Glorious high rpm motor that is bulletproof once the Vanos and rodbearongs are done. Roomy enough for spare wheels and tires. Popular enough thatultiple folks should be around with spare parts. Well within the budget for tinkering. Easily flared for 275 squared rubber both readily available and cheap. Rockauto rotors and pad shapes not outrageous like Pcars. Great hydraulic steering feel. Throttle response like mad.

I have a 400whp LS e36 and they are just fantastic cars you push harder and harder as the day goes by.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/15/20 5:52 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Here's the deal about mustangs. Parts are easily available from everywhere. You can find as light or heavy a clutch as you want and swap it easily.  They are lighter than the old fox bodies from what I hear.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/15/20 5:55 p.m.

GTO 6.0? I know it's a heavy pig... but if you are gonna get a mustang at least be different :)

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/15/20 7:21 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

GTO 6.0? I know it's a heavy pig... but if you are gonna get a mustang at least be different :)

They have some parts availability issues AFAIK. Probably part of the reason they're staying cheap.

7/15/20 9:24 p.m.

The other thing with the Holden Goat is that at that point I might as well get a Corvette. Which we already kinda determined is too big for my liking.

Right now head says Frisbee, maybe Evo. Head also said S2000, so clearly it's reliable.

Heart says might as well get something tube framed or production-based race car.

The devil on my shoulder is looking at a few aircooled 911 coupes.

My wallet is hiding in the corner.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/15/20 9:32 p.m.

Dude. I bought the miata with my big head.  Should have used more little head. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/15/20 10:35 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

The other thing with the Holden Goat is that at that point I might as well get a Corvette. Which we already kinda determined is too big for my liking.

Right now head says Frisbee, maybe Evo. Head also said S2000, so clearly it's reliable.

Heart says might as well get something tube framed or production-based race car.

The devil on my shoulder is looking at a few aircooled 911 coupes.

My wallet is hiding in the corner.

EVO

EVO

EVO

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
7/16/20 8:02 a.m.

My favorite bench build for a decently quick, but easy on consumables track car is an NC with a 2.5 swap, RX8 brakes and the usual suspension, wheels and tires.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/16/20 8:33 a.m.

Honestly if I was going for track car I would find the cheapest sound miata I could and just do a drop floor on it. (I have a cheap mechanically sound miata, but needs rocker rust repair).  They are hard to beat on the reliability and price of consumables.

Mustangs, I have little experience on ones newer than 04. Tires brakes and gas add up, but they are a sound option. Whoever said they are lighter than a fox is WRONG, but they have much much better suspension geometry than the foxes.  That said, a corvette will work much better in many ways, but at a higher parts cost. 

C5 vette, obvious answer and convertibles can be had if thats what you really want.  I dont know enough about rollbar availibility though.  But again, consumables...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/16/20 8:37 a.m.

At this point (and why I recommended the FRS/BRZ), I think the key is to get something that is good to go pretty much as soon as you buy it.  You seem to have a tendency to get bogged down in preparation work, whether because the car needs improvements to be track ready or has deferred maintenance.

Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/16/20 10:16 a.m.

If it's a mustang get one with an IRS.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
7/16/20 10:49 a.m.

A RUF looks like a Porsche, but one is much more special. I've seen Lotus, Caterham and homebuilt "7's" but I've never seen a Mitsuoka anything in person. IMO this is like being able to purchase a Tommy Kaira ZZ legally. Speaking of which, I'm off to Google...

7/16/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to white_fly :

Agreed. Hmm. A Tommy Kaira ZZ *would* look nice in my garage, too. But then I'm a sucker for rare vehicles.

In other news, I'm registered to bid on BaT and one of the cars I've got an eye on is going to finish in less than an hour. To bid, or not to bid. That's the question.

7/16/20 2:45 p.m.

Ah well, that one went over what I was willing to pay.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/16/20 2:50 p.m.

Yup I had a few bids on it. Much better version of that car can be bought on forums and craigs locally ;)

7/16/20 2:53 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

You were/are also eyeballing the Caterham?

The AE86 that finished a little while ago went surprisingly high, but the Caterham looked like it came in at a reasonable price. Until I pulled out the laptop to start bidding, that is.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/16/20 3:03 p.m.

might be worth looking around for a toyota MRS with a 2ZZ/6spd swap.  not practical at all, stock engine is anemic, hardtops can be tough to find, and they aren't as easy to pick up space whatevers for like a miata, but they're light, MR engine'd, and can be made quite fast and grippy.  i think the later model runs had an LSD option.  

i also like the 2.5 swapped NC miata.  great engine/chassis combo and they're at the bottom of their depreciation curve right now.

Evos are super cool and can be made soooo fast, but between fuel/brakes/tires they're gonna eat up some resources every track weekend.  practical though, and will fly in any weather.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/16/20 3:04 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

You were/are also eyeballing the Caterham?

The AE86 that finished a little while ago went surprisingly high, but the Caterham looked like it came in at a reasonable price. Until I pulled out the laptop to start bidding, that is.

Yes on both.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2nXzCHprPmA4z9Ab3u1enVrpE7gdEyNzyEJPrs4PE2dZhtsGIu5Si3cA0LfktqNM