1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/14/08 10:37 p.m.

I have a confession to make.

We have an upcoming comparison test of the four generations of BMW M3s. Look for it in our October issue. I was involved in the testing of these cars for the story. While I loved the new car, I instantly fell back in love with the M3 as soon as I drove a nice one on the track.

I saw the prices being charged by that guy up North, on our site and decided that if I wanted another one of these I had better jump. Jump I did, as I picked up a white 1991 in Atlanta last week, that had slight damage in the rear. It has 97,000 miles, no shifter buzz and original paint and no mods. I will probably pick it up on the way to 24 Hours of Lemons next week. At this point we have probably written enough about these cars, but I had to have another one.

I am a bad man.

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
7/14/08 11:02 p.m.

LUCKY. Any way I could find myself in the passenger seat if I "happen" to be in town...

minimac
minimac Dork
7/15/08 5:47 a.m.

Yeaaaay-more articles coming soon on a real grassroots car.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 6:24 a.m.

+1.. let's hear about the "restoration"

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/15/08 6:24 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: . At this point we have probably written enough about these cars, but I had to have another one.

Is it possible to write too much about these cars......I think not?? Especially since the answer to half the questions on this forum are E30.

Now when are you buying another Miata to answer the other half of the questions?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/15/08 7:19 a.m.

It's been awhile since the E30 M3 articles.

njansenv
njansenv New Reader
7/15/08 8:07 a.m.
minimac wrote: Yeaaaay-more articles coming soon on a real grassroots car.

Hmmm.... so, am I to understand that to you, used 20year old M3's rapidly approaching the 20k mark (that have a bit of a rep for expensive engine parts )are more grassroots than what is currently in the magazine?

Just teasing a bit. Love the mag, and I'd love to hear more on the M3!

skruffy
skruffy Dork
7/15/08 9:23 a.m.

I'd much rather read articles about e30 M3s than uber $$$ mustang race cars.

Edit: The mustang articles were cool, just not my thing. I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything lolz.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/15/08 9:24 a.m.

man.. Stop buying them all so I can have one.. one day.. maybe..

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/15/08 10:20 a.m.
ignorant wrote: man.. Stop buying them all so I can have one.. one day.. maybe..

No E36 M3. I want one too!

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
7/15/08 12:16 p.m.

Awesome. 'Grats on the purchase.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/15/08 12:23 p.m.

I'm not tired of hearing about e30 m3's. Too bad that supercharged M42 e30 isn't still around so you could document what it takes to make the 318is superior.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 12:52 p.m.

that would have been a very cool set of articles

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/08 3:03 p.m.

If anyone else is interested, another just popped up on an email distribution list I'm a part of from my e30 M3 ownership days... Not my car, don't know it, etc.

1991 Diamondschwartz with black leather 147K miles never tracked, never autocrossed! completely stock! new windshield Hella H4 headlights new Toyo R1 tires New Alpine CD deck with Ipod connection, and remote control Remote locks and alarm Non smoker, very clean and well maintained. Serviced by VSR for the past 7 years always with Redline fluids. Leather has no tears or open stitching! No Accidents ever! This car was driven one winter in metropolitan Boston 8-9 years ago. The previous owner spent over $4500 on restoration body work on the car underneath, under the side skirts and under the rear bumper along with 2 new front fenders last fall. Recently transmission seals, rear subframe mounts and AC have been repaired. AC blows cold! Comes with original set of stock wheels with center caps.

Asking $15,900.00

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
7/15/08 5:39 p.m.

I have a very, very nice 325is you might like instead. It's perfect except for the paint, body, seats, windshield, dash, mechanicals, and random check lights. I would trade it to you, as a favor

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/15/08 5:47 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: I have a very, very nice 325is you might like instead. It's perfect except for the paint, body, seats, windshield, dash, mechanicals, and random check lights. I would trade it to you, as a favor

dad's got you started off right I see.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
7/15/08 8:11 p.m.

The E30 M3, how I love thee.

I know a guy here locally getting ready to sell an S14 + Getrag 260 combo out of an '88 that he is going to do a 24v swap in.

Wish I had the cash to buy it from him.

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
7/16/08 10:16 a.m.

It's funny how certain cars speak to certain people, and no matter how many other cars we buy, we always come back to them. I personally have had about a dozen of one particular model going back about 20 years. It seems everytime I get rid of one, I immediately start searching for another. Tim seems to be this way about M3's.

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/16/08 6:00 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: I'm not tired of hearing about e30 m3's. Too bad that supercharged M42 e30 isn't still around so you could document what it takes to make the 318is superior.

Hell yeah. I'd rather read an all-E30 shootout... E30 M3 -v- blown M42 -v- SpecE30, Tim -v- Per -v- Scott in a who can build the best E30. Booyah!

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
7/17/08 12:32 p.m.

I want to see GRM build a 3.1L MegaSquirted M20.

As much as you can get more power out a 24v M/S5x motor, I want to keep true to the original powerplant. Not to mention a 24v adds around 80lbs in weight I believe.

S52 crank + 2mm overbore + 11:1 comp pistons + headwork and a good exhaust should get an approx 200-210 WHP E30. Which would be about the perfect amount of HP I think.

Bret
Bret New Reader
7/18/08 7:43 a.m.

This will be cool. I can't get enough of E30s!

Granted not an M3. But I picked up an old 84 325e I6 (auto) for my son to kick around in rather than run one of my others vehicles into the ground. I always liked the styling and have to admit that even for an automatic it's still a pretty fun little car.

Heres a pic.

Yes I know, its a chicks car....

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/18/08 8:16 a.m.
scotaku wrote: ... E30 M3 -v- blown M42 -v- SpecE30, Tim -v- Per -v- Scott in a who can build the best E30. Booyah!

And get a hot shoe like Mike Skeen to turn the laps!

7pilot
7pilot New Reader
7/18/08 11:00 a.m.

I would like to see a refreshed evaluation of the E30 M3. I lost all my issues of GRM(since it was AutoX) in the great flood of sewage in cedar rapids Iowa, last month.

m

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/22/08 12:33 p.m.

I am not in love with the buzzy S-14 engine, but it is technically interesting. I do love the boxy, flared, bad-ass body work of the E30 M3. I also think that the E30, in general, is the perfect sized car. I also like the dual purpose nature of these cars.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
7/22/08 12:39 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I also think that the E30, in general, is the perfect sized car. I also like the dual purpose nature of these cars.

I have an e36 and cannot get the e30 out of my head. The e36 is just that little bit too big for my tastes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZGkkeYI8eznjgmxN1Gki9HTrgtCPx3Y7FnvB13HLhqBX7Hub4OT8vcOm2VHVYPa