1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/20/09 11:13 a.m.

Next, we are going to interview Boris Said. He will be at the Rolex 24 this weekend. Hopefully we can get him to come by our corral. He is one of us and a long time friend. He started in SCCA racing and won the Runoffs in the late Eighties. Now he is a famous NASCAR guy.

What would you like to know about him or ask him?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 11:22 a.m.

Ask what he thinks about alternative fuels in racing? Having seen so much racing from grasroots stuff to big leagues and TV cash, Im sure he has a little insight.

Also curious to hear his thoughts on the future of small(er) scene racing...for instance refabbing race series like whats happening with supervee formula and such.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/09 11:22 a.m.

Does he pursue NASCAR because he enjoys the series, the racing, the cars, etc? Or does he pursue it because it's a mean to an end?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/20/09 11:32 a.m.

I want to hear something about his win with BMW at the 24 hours of the Nurburgring!

is he driving a Black Forest Mustang again at Daytona this year?

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
1/20/09 11:32 a.m.

Ask him why he left Talladega in the fall of 07 after DNQ'ing. I was waiting in line to get an autograph.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/20/09 11:41 a.m.

compare contrast nascar vs sportscar racing. Obvious differences aside, What different skills as a driver did he need to be successful at each?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT New Reader
1/20/09 11:46 a.m.

I would be interested in his comments about his journey from amateur to pro to NASCAR.

David

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/09 12:26 p.m.

Are NASCAR groupies as hot as sportscar racing groupies?

Kramer
Kramer Reader
1/20/09 12:30 p.m.

Ask him how much "ingenuity" is still occurring in NASCAR. Many people think these cars (and this series) are so "spec" that it has taken away the creativity.

How much is Boris involved in actually working on his race car (and does this differ between series')? Does he still get his hands dirty, or does he have crew members to make tweaks/changes?

When not driving, would he rather be working on a car, or doing PR stuff, or analyzing data, or playing video games (or something else)?

Ask him if NASCAR should be fuel injected, with IRS, traction control, distributorless ignition, etc. It seems all the NASCAR haters (there's a lot on here) think these cars are ancient-tech. I'd like to hear the opinion of a real NASCAR guy.

It would be neat to tour a high-budget shop and see what they're doing that is Grassroots. We can't all afford to rent a track for practice, but I'm sure they are doing things that we could do.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
1/20/09 1:16 p.m.

Ask him which he would rather drive if there was no paycheck... 24hrs at the Nurburgring or the Talledega 500. I'm interested in how a guy who made his name as the hardest working guy in road racing is enjoying the roundy-rounds. I also bet you don't get the same answer as if you say "This is off the record" after a few drinks.... but ask anyway.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/20/09 1:28 p.m.

Thanks guys. Good stuff so far. What else?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/09 2:08 p.m.

I would like to know what he does in the "off time" between races/appearances etc. and how he manages the stress of his schedule (NASCAR and the other events he races) without pulling out his hair?

And speaking of hair...

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/20/09 2:22 p.m.

"How much for a pair of your underwear?"

I suppose it could be like pulling teeth to get an honest answer, but I'd be curious to know if there are differences in off track commraderie/relationships with NASCAR drivers and Road Racers.

I'm also ALWAYS interested in what cars are in any driver's personal fleet, and which they enjoy driving most.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/09 2:37 p.m.

When did he know he was going to race cars for a living?

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
1/20/09 4:42 p.m.
Kramer wrote: How much is Boris involved in actually working on his race car (and does this differ between series')? Does he still get his hands dirty, or does he have crew members to make tweaks/changes?

My understanding of his NASCAR team is that he only has a few full time employees, since he only runs a few races a year.

Anyone like that I can root for. Screw a big money team.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/20/09 4:46 p.m.

ignorant beat me to my question.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/09 8:04 p.m.

"would you like to drive a V8 944 at the $2009 Challenge?"

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
1/20/09 10:30 p.m.

Would you want to join a team for a Lemons Event?

924guy
924guy HalfDork
1/21/09 10:36 a.m.

hold up a gap gauge and ask him what it is...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/09 11:30 a.m.

We need a canned set of ten goofball questions that are sincere but a little off camber for every celebrity profile so we can compare person to person.

1: Would you rather (a) skateboard (b) bike or (c) run ?

2: What was the last non automotive show you watched on t.v.?

3: If you were to describe the garage at your house what single word would you need?

4: What actor would play you in your life story and what would the movie be called?

5: Any/Favorite battle scar?

6: What book/magazine is in your bathroom?

7: What car do you want and can afford, but haven't pulled the trigger on buying?

8: The first time you were hurling backwards or upside down heading towards a barrier wall, what were you REALLY thinking?

9: What automotive marque is "on the right track" in your opinion?

10: Do you collect your retired race cars?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/21/09 12:17 p.m.

How does he maintain that beautiful white-boy fro?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/21/09 12:22 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: How does he maintain that beautiful white-boy fro?

And the absolute must follow up to that question...what hair care products does he use and why on earth does he not have an endorsement contract with that company!

jde
jde Reader
1/21/09 6:33 p.m.

What did you think of Bathurst and the Aussie V8 Supercars?

What is there left in the world of racing that you haven't driven, but you'd like to drive/race?

aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/21/09 6:42 p.m.

What is your favorite tool.

BTW: Bob Costas is not an acceptable answer.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
1/21/09 6:54 p.m.

I'm betting that it was his dad, but...

How are you related to the Boris "Bob" Said that competed in the 1959 USGP at Sebring?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YAzEDJyRBbonvjyJTQea49vB3svTup6U3QL3bYNONbiFavmL8F5urqrfpYmdbiHO