Buccabeetle
Buccabeetle
4/26/20 1:20 a.m.

Hey I'm new to this forum and hope you can help me figure out what this car is. My son sent me the picture and I have no additional information other than the image.

So any ideas?

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
4/26/20 2:07 a.m.

That looks a lot like a 53-56 Studebaker Starliner, though with some pretty major modifications to the headlights.

here it is in stock trim: 

It's a little hard to make out in your picture but if I had to guess the grafted in headlights from a late model Mini to give it even more of a laid back look. Not bad, but the rims look kinda hideous TBH.

Still, pretty cool to see an old Studebaker in the wild!

Buccabeetle
Buccabeetle New Reader
4/26/20 2:30 a.m.

I never got past early 60s Avanti Studebacker body types! I should have trusted my intuition and looked at earlier models,

Thanks a ton. We spent hours trying to figure that out!

_
_ Dork
4/26/20 9:20 a.m.
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/20 9:48 a.m.

I'm going to have to believe you, I couldn't read past the first sentence. I mean, I'm not a grammar Nazi or anything, but come on!

I have no idea what they're even trying to convey..

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/20 9:49 a.m.

In reply to _ :

It's not one of those, nothing matches up.  It's a highly modified original

_
_ Dork
4/26/20 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

But the lights and god awful wheels look about right. 

and I agree, I read the article but kept laughing at the poor grammar, and it was obviously wrote by a "not car person", as the lingo is... "amateur"

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/20 12:08 p.m.

it could be one of those auto generated articles as well.

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/20 12:47 p.m.
MrChaos said:

it could be one of those auto generated articles as well.

Good call..  After reading, it does seem as if it's either written by someone who is English as a second language with an 80s lingo book, or AI.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/20 1:52 p.m.

Lights are more laid back on red car

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
4/26/20 2:57 p.m.

The photos in that article look to be renders to me, so I’d take them with a grain of salt. The writer of that post doesn’t really make it clear but I found this (slightly)better-written article that makes it pretty clear the La Carrera Studebakers were “proposed” and “would be” created as a limited edition run of cars:

GWA Auto Design & Tuning's Veinte Victorias Concept Studebaker Cooks With Gas

I did not see any actual cars that were built though, and the red car in the OP was not a part of that but looks to be customized to the tastes of the owner.  

I would not let that take away from the fact that these are beautiful cars, and in the early 50’s must have looked like they came from outer space. If only Studebaker had survived past the 60’s who knows what awesome cars the would have made.

If I had one though, I’d probably skip all the customization though, and keep it simple.  They don’t need a lot of help in the looks department. My two cents...

I also think that more historically accurate  La Carrera Studes are a good direction to go in. A+++

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jxBKbSy5zjSSxRPh3btvWA24T284UxDcy2UIMn7RbxBRncg50rYZKaxHyqDoxuzo