1 2
racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
4/22/12 7:39 p.m.

I have a question on anti-sieze. To-date I have only used it on non-structural fasteners (intake manifold nuts/ bolts, exhaust manifold nuts, water pump nuts and bolts, spark plug threads). OK, I take that back, I have used it on caliper bracket bolts. But what about suspension fasteners? Anti-roll bar bracket and end-link fasteners seem like they would be OK to use anti-sieze on. However, I wonder about strut bolts/nuts, top mount nuts, suspension linkage bolts/nuts. Is it safe to use anti-sieze on them or am I taking a big risk of having a critical fastener work its way loose? I ask because I am putting the suspension back together on my FC RX-7 and I don't want to go back through the same pain down the road when I need to take something apart again.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/22/12 7:46 p.m.

I use it on just about everything, Ohio salt is rough on fasteners.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/22/12 7:47 p.m.

Use it where a bushing sleeve is likely to rust to the bolt, but try to avoid getting too much on the clamping area. The next guy will thank you.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/22/12 8:01 p.m.

If you've got a fastener, and you both:

A. Don't want it to rust up, and

B. Don't want it going off on it's own

There is but one answer:

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/22/12 8:17 p.m.

One of my ex-coworkers used to call it Anti-Seige.

TreoWayne
TreoWayne Reader
4/22/12 8:18 p.m.

Yeah pretty much. Every fastener that I have ever removed that had normal Loctite on it came out nice and clean.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/12 8:48 p.m.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/12 9:09 p.m.

If a fastener is relying on thread friction to hold it in place, it's gonna come loose. Use it on everything - just keep in mind that you'll reach the correct bolt stretch at a lower torque due to the lubrication.

And yeah, Loctite will work too. But it won't keep a bolt from rusting to a suspension bushing. It'll only work on the actual threads.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
4/22/12 9:58 p.m.

I very rarely use anything on a fastener except a little oil, and never, ever have anything come loose.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/22/12 10:03 p.m.

Anti seize is my bestest buddy. But only the copper base, the silver crap sold at PepVanceZone is useless. Bostik makes a stainless based version that's silver, it's the only silver colored one worth a tinker's damn.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
4/22/12 10:29 p.m.

Marine Grade. Non metallic

racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
4/22/12 10:29 p.m.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

-Ray

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/12 10:40 p.m.

I had always wondered if locktite would keep the bolts from rusting to the nuts

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
4/23/12 8:21 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: One of my ex-coworkers used to call it Anti-Seige.

Lumpy Mike, an old co-worker called it No-Size (???)

he also called a groundhog a dirt pig... he was not joking either

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
4/23/12 8:30 a.m.

My wrenching philosophy is that in general, everything gets loctite or neverseize. I recently finished off a can of genuine Never Seize ("If you want to take it apart with ease, ...") that I got on a ship in the 80's. I guess that makes it Marine Grade. My new can is the copper stuff from NAPA.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/23/12 8:30 a.m.

I keep the lead screw in my vice lubricated with anti-seize. There are very few things in my garage that haven't been touched with that stuff.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/23/12 8:32 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote: I keep the lead screw in my vice lubricated with anti-seize. There are very few things in my garage that haven't been touched with that stuff.

Mine, too.

But that's merely because once you touch it, that E36 M3 gets on EVERYTHING.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/23/12 8:34 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
MG Bryan wrote: I keep the lead screw in my vice lubricated with anti-seize. There are very few things in my garage that haven't been touched with that stuff.
Mine, too. But that's merely because once you touch it, that E36 M3 gets on EVERYTHING.

It stained the paint on my Miata. That made me like it more.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
4/23/12 9:58 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Mine, too. But that's merely because once you touch it, that E36 M3 gets on EVERYTHING.

Motor oil takes it off. But then you have motor oil on everything, too.

I only ever use anti-seize on spark plug threads. Guess I'm weird for not using it everywhere.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
4/23/12 10:05 a.m.

I put a little in each tank of gas. Keeps the engine from locking up.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/12 10:11 a.m.

I use it on my brake pads for the same reason. I call it "ABS in a tube".

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
4/23/12 10:19 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: I only ever use anti-seize on spark plug threads. Guess I'm weird for not using it everywhere.

I only use it on O2 sensors. After reading this thread I was thinking I was the odd man out.

Thank you oh temperate climate of the pacific northwest.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
4/23/12 10:19 a.m.

I have a brand new can of anti seize, but I can't get the lid off.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/23/12 10:20 a.m.
Keith wrote: I use it on my brake pads for the same reason. I call it "ABS in a tube".

Who cares about stopping when the brakes are quiet?

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
4/23/12 10:26 a.m.

we use food grade anti seize (and pipe dope, grease etc) at work, ain't worth a E36 M3

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9sKlofWWjR5GPR4zVtqdvK5FZvx92k79RRqJdK0Raq7r0RyazDQVcOZ76fzcYu8H