Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/23 11:52 p.m.

When i was walking the dog today I was thinking about the new forum for trucks, towing and trailers and how it was a great addition to the GRM forums.

Then I was thinking about all the Prius love that's in the various forums, and love recently for electric cars as well.

Which brings me to the request;  can we have a forum for hybrid and electric cars?

I think there's enough interest in the readership to merit it, but what do you guys think?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/26/23 12:24 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

I for one would really appreciate that.   
 We are about to purchase one.  EV's are a whole new area for everyone. Reliability is my prime concern. There is relatively little data in that area but then there wouldn't be.  What has been posted has been wonderfully interesting.  

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/26/23 6:20 a.m.

That would be pretty cool. I've only recently started looking into electric cars (not cause I like them, but because it may or may not be "the future") and I even test drove a Volkswagen ID.4 Most of my research has had to be on specific forums and reddit and it would be cool to see what the GRM crowd thinks/knows about them.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/26/23 8:48 a.m.

In my opinion, Trucks/tow pigs are a different type of tool.

EVs/hybrids are just another version of the same tool we already talk about here. They really just change what's powering the vehicle kind of like cordless tools vs corded tools. Having a separate forum for hybrids/EVs would be like having a separate forum for diesel powered vehicles, or rainbow powered vehicles, or Jaguar V12 powered vehicles.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
3/26/23 8:57 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

There are enough unique features and technology that a separate group might be nice.  Regarding the tool comment yes many have one to keep their "good" car off the road and save money but there are also some who are using their ecars in track situations.  

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/23 9:02 a.m.

In reply to porschenut :

To your point I absolutely plan to autocross my e-Golf this summer!  With all that torque down low I think it will be a riot.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/26/23 9:10 a.m.
porschenut said:

In reply to STM317 :

Regarding the tool comment yes many have one to keep their "good" car off the road and save money but there are also some who are using their ecars in track situations.  

Exactly. "Ecars" are just cars, used in the same ways that other cars are.

I think it's easy for a forum to be overly segmented. Rotaries are very different from piston engines. Diesel's are different from gasoline. Carbs are different from fuel injection. NA vs forced induction, etc. We've been doing just fine discussing these things in the same general forum, and for that reason I think we get a lot more cross pollination of ideas, knowledge and understanding. If you break everything out into it's own section, then you only get a bunch of echo chambers with very little exchange of new ideas or info unless somebody is specifically looking for it. I think it would lead to less traffic/fewer posts.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/23 9:40 a.m.

I have no dog in this fight, because I just hit "New Topics" when I come to the forum. Most of the time I have no idea what forum each thread is actually in. Having said that, I know not everyone uses the forum that way, and given that every EV thread seems to devolve into the same argument, maybe it is better to separate them out. That way people who want to avoid the topic can do so more easily.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/23 11:04 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

I have no dog in this fight, because I just hit "New Topics" when I come to the forum. Most of the time I have no idea what forum each thread is actually in. Having said that, I know not everyone uses the forum that way, and given that every EV thread seems to devolve into the same argument, maybe it is better to separate them out. That way people who want to avoid the topic can do so more easily.

I have 'latest topics' as my bookmark, both on my phone and computer. I never use the forum by section. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/26/23 11:22 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Yup.

This subforum organization makes very little sense.  There is not a lot of traffic here.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/26/23 11:47 a.m.

I  search Latest topics  when I log in , 

But  I would like an EV forum for checking things later as the forums search feature  is a little  off  :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y2r7yrJMgX3gQJz2uBiT1kTasZllyO1wYzcoHIsRoTckl79ajn3COnxjl5E1sNMJ