1 2 3
chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/15/18 6:51 a.m.
signalMTB said:

For an alternative to BaT, check out Second Daily https://seconddaily.com/

So, if I want a Land Rover / Range Rover I know where to look.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/18 9:28 p.m.

I recently listed my E28 M5 in BaT and did not meet reserve. Several commenters noted how responsive I was compared to the usual seller. I was also bleedingly open about all the issues with my vehicle which based on what I have seen on their site was in the top 25% in quality of unrestored examples, I have been picking apart the e28 M5s there privately for about two years. What it seems is that either the e28 M5 market is already saturated or covering some flaws will make a big difference between blowing reserve away and reserve not met. 

The overall experience was good. One of their regulars really helped me get a lot of info in for the car into the comments so I appreciated that a lot. He ended up being high bidder and probably would have bought it if I hadn't decided to keep it after not making a reserve I thought was too low in the first place. The guy that helped me set up the auction was really helpful as well.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/17/18 8:16 a.m.

gunner's line of the reserve being too low is key.  BaT did accept my LSx swapped 951 but wanted me to accept a reserve that was at least $5000 less than I was willing to sell the car for.  When I declined, they refused to list the car.

They want the low reserves so the cars will sell and they'll be able to tell future clients that "We sell cars!"....

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
9/17/18 8:48 a.m.

I sold my late roommate's Mercedes on BaT and had a very positive experience. It was a special car, with low mileage and a neat history to it. The peanut-gallery-commentary is fun, to me at least. And I made a point of being very responsive. 

BaT asked me to set a reserve about $5k lower than I initially planned, but was still within my already-decided sale price, so I let them do it and list the car. They were good about making sure it was the only M-B 126 for sale that week. Only letdown is once you sell the car, BaT's responsibility ends at "here's the buyer's contact info!" and a slap on the ass. Thankfully my buyer was responsive and it was an easy transaction past that.

Their website is basically a Wordpress blog with a bidding plugin, so I'm not surprised by the overly simplistic process. Just something to consider though. Overall, very positive and I'd definitely sell there again. I'd buy if I had the space to store, oh, another 50 cars.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mercedes-benz-560sec-15/

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/17/18 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 :

Wow,  that 560 sold strong.  I have a US spec 87 560sec that was ordered by the owner through The European delivery program and sent new to AMG Germany.  It was then converted to 6.0 sohc,  full AMG exhaust including cats and headers,  AMG rear diff, AMG steering wheel,  AMG suspension,  BBS wheels,  and a radar detector,  then is was shipped to the owner in the states.  It’s fully documented and I love the car,  just a blast to drive.  Happy to see they're starting to get some attention. 

signalMTB
signalMTB New Reader
9/17/18 3:46 p.m.
chandler said:
signalMTB said:

For an alternative to BaT, check out Second Daily https://seconddaily.com/

So, if I want a Land Rover / Range Rover I know where to look.

or a 400hp 6MT avant, or Alpina B5, or e60 M5, or Ferrari 308, an '84 911 or a V12 XJS coming up. But yes, I am rather fond of the Rovers I suppose :)   There's just something about knowing going into it that you're going to be in the red but you just dont care.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
9/19/18 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Nice! It'd be a super rarity with the "quad cam" V8 although a 6.0 SOHC is still an upgrade vs the stock 5.5. If you ever sell it, it'll bring a high price given how they have taken off now.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
9/19/18 1:46 p.m.

I'm going through the process right now: 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-mazda-rx-7-14/

so far it has been pretty painfree, flat 99 dollar listing fee. I uploaded a bunch of photos and went through their questionnaire to start filling in basic details about the car and additional information on condition and modifications. It took ~2 weeks as they said from submission of listing to posting of the advertisement. 

Unlike Ebay you can't plan when they go live which is fine but you also don't write your listing. I had to send various edits back to the auction staff member who was writing the descriptions to ensure accuracy and that the listing was not misleading. It is a pretty dry description but they all have a similar flow to it. 

5 days left in the auction and 1 bid, I fear that the unoriginality of it will scare people away because people go nuts for the 100% original rust free nonsense on these special edition cars. There is an extra sense of pickyness on BaT for specifics because people can be keyboard window shoppers 24/7.

but so far I am pleased and I think its getting great exposure outside what I could have listed beyond craigslist or ebay and etc. 

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/28/18 2:08 a.m.

I’m considering listing my m3 with them, but I'm kinda nervous because it has some issues. Some of the auctions I’ve seen of cars that are less than perfect have ended poorly and I’m not sure if I want to deal with it. Meanwhile my car’s gotten zero attention on my local Craigslist. I guess I have nothing to lose at this point 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/28/18 7:10 a.m.

I’m looking into listing my race car (Mercedes 190E 2.3-16) with BaT. I do have a concern.

They seem to do really well with street cars, but I haven’t seen much enthusiasm for race cars on the site. They have agreed to let me set a reserve auction, but the reserve price is quite a bit lower than I’m comfortable with.

So, I guess I’m on the fence about going with a low-reserve auction on BaT versus just listing the car with a realistic “buy it now” price somewhere else. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
9/28/18 7:36 a.m.

they do tend to attract a particular crowd, mostly the 100% original and rust free vehicle crowd. Some race cars doe well on there while others flop.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/28/18 9:41 a.m.
fidelity101 said:

they do tend to attract a particular crowd, mostly the 100% original and rust free vehicle crowd. Some race cars doe well on there while others flop.

True. But the 2.3-16 model seems to be doing well on BaT lately. There was a rough one with replica Evo II body kit and poor repaint that sold way above what it probably should have. And a fake Carlsson that hit $24 or $25k. 

Mine is the only 2.3-16 racecar for sale anywhere in the world (and probably the first ever on the market in North America). And cars of this era are growing in popularity in vintage racing. So, I’m hopeful there might be some interest.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
9/28/18 11:08 a.m.
LanEvo said:
fidelity101 said:

True. But the 2.3-16 model seems to be doing well on BaT lately. There was a rough one with replica Evo II body kit and poor repaint that sold way above what it probably should have. And a fake Carlsson that hit $24 or $25k. 

Mine is the only 2.3-16 racecar for sale anywhere in the world (and probably the first ever on the market in North America). And cars of this era are growing in popularity in vintage racing. So, I’m hopeful there might be some interest.

With what you said right there is 100% BaT material. 

Also If you have a reserve and the auction gets close enough to it they will at their discretion pay you the difference between what it sold for and the reserve you have, I think its a % based off from reserve because it seemed to be automatic for me. Once the seller pays you, you notify BaT and they cut you a check for the difference. I'm pretty happy with my result. I would have liked 8k but I think with what I have into my car 7k was good and if the buyer pays 6800+ his fees its still a decent buy. 

timing is everything too, especially if you see the market demand and pricing start to creep up thats why I jumped on selling this for the time I did. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
75SiVGCnHhHIXwIbhxjTeY6NA3WcqCH2PVEBCfwO1VbV6gBmONlHiuFiglUDmcNQ