1 2 3 4
glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/12 4:23 p.m.

I found an "F" car for a new-Camry price and lots of service records. I'd like to talk here or off-line with someone that actually owns one and has some practical experience. I would be ok understanding that clutch or engine work is off limits to a DIY, but things that would be typical old used car - say a power window motor or a fuel pump - are these feasible (including parts prices) for someone to fix at home?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/15/12 4:30 p.m.

which model? I have some knowledge with Ferrari thru my dad. I can try and guide you thru

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
2/15/12 4:33 p.m.

Pshhh, who says you can't do the drivetrain work? This is GRM! We can make anything work!

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
2/15/12 4:35 p.m.

Yeah, if the clutch is too expensive, drop in an LSX
I think it really depends on the model. I've heard (there I go again, spouting internet wisdom again) that the 308 is DIY friendly.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
2/15/12 4:40 p.m.

Honestly, if you go to FerrariChat, I found my visit there to be quite pleasant. Asking questions seems to get quite a few knowledgeable answers. Can't hurt to head over there and compare notes. I haven't been back because my damn computer died at home and most of the threads I visit there get to be NSFW. LOL

EDT
EDT New Reader
2/15/12 4:45 p.m.

I have a F355 GTS but haven't had to do done much to it yet. Some parts can be sourced from different manufacturers for much less than a factory part, so that can be nice. I'd also recommend FerrariChat for more in depth info. What model did you find?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/12 4:47 p.m.

"Which model" is probably the key question, although Camry money hints at 308 GT4, 308/328 or 348. Or a Mondial, I keep forgetting about those even though I nearly went and looked at one last year.

Supposedly they're fairly DIYable but according to a colleague who has a 328 GTS, some of the parts prices are eye watering for the Ferrari only stuff.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/12 4:48 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Yeah, if the clutch is too expensive, drop in an LSX

Or a 13B, the other go to engine.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
2/15/12 4:56 p.m.

There are some awesome DIY threads on Ferrarichat in the 348/355 section. I loved reading through them when I was thinking about getting a 348. The problem I had was I wanted a 348, then found I could get a 355 for X amount more money, which led me to looking at 360s, then right out of my price range. Still, if the right 348/355 comes along I'd be very tempted.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
2/15/12 5:02 p.m.

I don't have one now but that might change rapidly in the next few weeks. Its all model dependent.

Mondial/308/328 even at Camry money can be a super good/bad buy. The 355 is the dead last of the user serviceable ones and the 348 is I think even worse.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/12 5:03 p.m.
EDT wrote: I have a F355 GTS

Oh, nice! That's the one I'm hoping to realistically be able to afford in another 3-5 years. How is it?

EDT
EDT New Reader
2/15/12 5:13 p.m.

In reply to Javelin: It's been a really great car for the year I've had it, no problems at all. It's a 1995 with around 36k miles. It rides better than my e46 M3 and is pretty quick, though it lacks the precision the M3 has handling wise. The one thing I really wish is that you could hear that wonderful exhaust noise while in the car.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/15/12 5:26 p.m.

For Camry money I might suggest looking into a 2002-2004 Maserati Cambiocorsa Spyder. The engine is Ferrari 360 as is the F1 transaxle. Quite a car for the money. Might not be very DIY friendly but it is a lot newer and the cars came with 4yr/ 50K warranties. They seem to have good reliability reputations. The engine is considered pretty bullit proof. Just a thought.

Javelin
2/15/12 5:27 p.m.

In reply to EDT:

Is not the GTS the Spyder? Still no good noises? Have nay pics?

I'm going to aim for the Targa (eventually).

EDT
EDT New Reader
2/15/12 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

The GTS is the Targa. A little more noise comes through when the top is off but nothing compared to when you are outside of it. I'd avoid the F1 cars because of the transmission problems that are extremely expensive to repair, only Ferrari makes the parts needed. I'll try to post pics a little later.

Javelin
2/15/12 6:01 p.m.

Yeah, I would definitely be looking at a standard 6-speed only. I like the 355 because they are way more modern looking than the 308/328 but yet very beautiful. The longitudinal engine and targa top make it the clear winner for me as well.

The other possibility would be a 550 Maranello, again with the standard. No targa top, but the first V12 FR Ferrari since the Daytona was the one I originally fell in love with.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
2/15/12 6:05 p.m.

Pretty sure the ownership costs on the 550 are a fair amount higher than a 355.

Javelin
2/15/12 6:07 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Pretty sure the ownership costs on the 550 are a fair amount higher than a 355.

I've heard that both ways. Some say the 550 is more DIY friendly (traditional FR layout versus shoehorned into an MR), and others say the V12 is way worse than the V8.

Either way it's going to be a crap-ton more money than I've got right now. I've just been saving pennies, reading stuff, and staring at the die-casts on the desk.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
2/15/12 6:11 p.m.

I've owned a number of the things-still do. Pm me for specifics, if you'd like.

BTW, the 550 is the exotic buy of the decade. V12, great build quality, towering speed and very reasonable routine service-plus reliable as heck

Javelin
2/15/12 6:13 p.m.

In reply to forzav12:

See, that's some of the glowing praise I've heard on the 550. I really love that car. I have 6 1/18ths of the damn thing but I've never even sat in one yet. It just looks so right.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
2/15/12 6:58 p.m.

I replaced shocks on a 308 a mllion years ago and it wasn't that hard but I would neigh wanna do a timingchain/belt/whatever...

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
2/15/12 7:01 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to forzav12: See, that's some of the glowing praise I've heard on the 550. I really love that car. I have 6 1/18ths of the damn thing but I've never even sat in one yet. It just looks so *right*.

If you are ever in socal, we can take care of that. ;)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/15/12 7:26 p.m.

Awwww come on you guys, please go back to the Miatas and Volvos, I am now searching for a damn Ferrari dammit,

Aw Mannnn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-FERRARI-348-TS-SPIDER-CONVERTIBLE-5SPEED-ONLY-18K-/190639004036?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c62f85984

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
2/15/12 8:52 p.m.

348s have issues

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/12 9:09 p.m.

Mondials are a little more DIY friendly than 308s, as the engine mounts to a subframe to enable easier, engine-out service.

Not that I've been shopping or anything...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XtPeGkAfUn5OSEMFpVsSioGdqTKsQbjyfrvyU4mGbeSSbGD6ToBtoiYPRF2fjElX