Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
1/28/21 9:06 a.m.

Looking for somebody to put some eyes on this:

Mitsubishi Chariot

Any help would be much appreciated. I can pay you for your time and fuel. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/21 9:25 a.m.

Kinda makes me want to drive the 6 hours to check it out.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/21 9:28 a.m.

Wow, A Colt Vista wagon but w/ turbo awd!!!!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
1/28/21 9:31 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Wow, A Colt Vista wagon but w/ turbo awd!!!!

Basically, yes I believe. I actually don't really know what it is. I was thinking RVR, but they don't have hinged doors, or 3rd row. You're probably right. Either way I like it. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/21 10:36 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Looking for somebody to put some eyes on this:

Mitsubishi Chariot

Any help would be much appreciated. I can pay you for your time and fuel. 

I'm just across the bay in Riverview.  Send me an email once you've arranged it with the owner.

ev

an

fou

nta

in

at google email

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/21 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

What I posted is the Gen1 version fo the wagon.  What you're looking at is Gen2.  That Gen2 was sold here but in a dumbed down version.  It may have been a Eagle Brand product and Mitsu Dealers sold a version too.  

EDIT: Sold in the US as the Mitsubishi Expo from '92-'95

Yours has an interesting bubble roof over the driver.  Seems to be a fixed glass window ala Cutlass Vista Cruiser but over the front row rather than over the middle row. 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/21 11:34 a.m.

Yeah. I had that car only with a DIY conversion. It's a lot of fun. We got the 2.4L version and AWD. It took a weekend to swap in the 4G63. The T-Case and transmission is the same as the 1G DSM AWDs.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
1/28/21 11:52 a.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah. I had that car only with a DIY conversion. It's a lot of fun. We got the 2.4L version and AWD. It took a weekend to swap in the 4G63. The T-Case and transmission is the same as the 1G DSM AWDs.

Did you love it? 

1/28/21 2:08 p.m.

It was fun for what it was. Great snow/ski/bike rig to take to the mountains. It put high 200s to the wheels with a big 16 and a good IC on it so it was entertaining in the straight line. If you wanted something for the whole fam or needed the cargo area, I'd get another.  I had the shorter version so it was a little lighter but I could still fit my bike and skis inside of it. 

1/28/21 2:12 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/156730509212577/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

I just noticed that this one is local if you wanted to roll your own. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
1/28/21 2:44 p.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

It was fun for what it was. Great snow/ski/bike rig to take to the mountains. It put high 200s to the wheels with a big 16 and a good IC on it so it was entertaining in the straight line. If you wanted something for the whole fam or needed the cargo area, I'd get another.  I had the shorter version so it was a little lighter but I could still fit my bike and skis inside of it. 

I'm wondering if it'd be a fun replacement for my Toyota Sienna. 

1/28/21 3:42 p.m.

IT's been a bit and really the choices at that point where a Full sized van (I had a 76 E150 before this car) or an early Chrysler minivan. So compared to those 2 it was a blast. Not sure how I'd compare it to a modern minivan as it's been years since I drove one. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
2/2/21 7:06 a.m.

Shout out to Mr_Asa for going by to check this out for me yesterday. I appreciate your time, and effort. GRM is the best. Hopefully I can return the favor someday.

Mr_Asa
2/2/21 7:47 a.m.

I was happy to do it.  First time I've rode in a RHD car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/2/21 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Wacky, isn't it? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/2/21 11:25 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Wacky, isn't it? 

It is. I've been in a few buses and taxis and the driver is sitting in the wrong place. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/2/21 11:34 a.m.

I'm glad I didn't see this before now. I might have checked it out only to tell you it was terrible and then bought it myself. That's amazing.

Mr_Asa
2/2/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It definitely felt strange.  I can't imagine driving it, especially with the shifter on the left of me; that's more about my left hand being stupider than the average right hander's

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/21 2:55 p.m.

Ah my buddy had an expo with a fp hta68 on e85. That thing ripped and ripped with all kinds of grip. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jVPF3G7r4j7nw7YTPHxnfx0tXlNrEpbiaMJO1qi8QbYEueKN0gB7ujtxsO48ILuV