1 2
DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
10/26/11 5:02 p.m.

This threads is relevant to my interests.

I had a customer (I do computer repairs on the side) ask about getting protools onto his dell, I tried to look it up but it just seemed like it would be cheaper/better to build a new system from the ground up. New stuff requiring all kinds of hardware that his little dell wasn't up to par on... Sounded expensive just on hardware alone.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/26/11 7:16 p.m.

Does anyone have experience using an iPad for recording? I see Alesis has a new interface/stand that looks pretty cool - and maybe have simpler software/interface, given the nature of the iPad?

The more I screw around trying to get Audour on Ubuntu working right, the more I realize I just want to throw down some tracks & have fun, not go back to school to be an engineer.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/11 7:22 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Is there an iPad version of Garage Band? I really liked that before I had my Parting of The Ways with Apple... Hrm... at a glance it looks like it does exist, but may not work for recording physical instruments?

GarageBand at Apple

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
11/28/12 9:45 a.m.

BAAAAACK FROM THE DEEEEEAAAAAD. I'm at least able to be a little more specific about my needs now. Old computer took a E36 M3, and dude down the street built me a new one for $400. Super fast, lots of memory, etc. Bonus: He's a player and also records, so I think I'm going to see if he can put me something together for around the same price that's capable of recording-only duty (i.e. - no int4rw3b use. No viruses.)

I would like the ability to record multiple tracks at once with multiple inputs. Is this a no-go with audacity? Are there any other free/cheap programs that would allow this? Is there any chance that I'm still better off just using a Tascam digital workstation and editing on the computer?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
11/28/12 10:13 a.m.

neat thread. I always dreamed of a home studio as well. I've never done anything anywhere near professionally, and it's been a few years since I picked up a guitar or bass, but I do still beat on the drums from time to time.

Computers and user interfaces really are revolutionizing everything we can do as DIY efforts, from ECU tuning via Megasquirt and the like, to making a whole freaking recording studio based off a laptop.

rock on!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/12 11:12 a.m.
Sultan wrote: Picture from work right now.

A bit of a contrast to our setup...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
1/8/13 8:21 a.m.

Bump.

Got my wife an iPad for christmas, and I installed Garage Band on it last night and then berkeleyed around for a few hours. Not bad. Now, all I was doing was playing with their installed instruments and playing them on the touchscreen, but it looks like there is a way to plug in and track actual instruments. It will do 8 tracks and you can merge them to open up more. For instance I did a guitar part that was 4 measures of palm muted metal picking, followed by 4 measures of just a single open strum sustaining. I did the palm mute and the open strum on seperate tracks, and then merged them, as that was cleaner than trying to get the interface to do both in one take.

I may get an audio interface for it and keep goofing off. Or I may pull the trigger on some kind of PC interface. Hell - I saw a full Mac setup with a previous generation laptop, Pro Tools, an MBox, and some decent monitors, for $550 on CL. At that price, it might be tempting just to go stand alone and not berkeley with the everyday PC.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
1/8/13 9:34 a.m.

I was thinking of a completely different type of "home recording" when I clicked in.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
1/8/13 9:53 a.m.

Hmm - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-io-dock-pro-docking-station-for-ipad--limited-edition-white?src=3WWRWXGP

This thing got decent reviews at $400. Here it is for $150.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/8/13 11:36 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

If you like Garage Band, you should try the full version of Logic on a Mac. You can't beat it for the price, assuming of course you have a Mac or want a reason to get one.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
1/8/13 11:54 a.m.

I don't have a mac. While this reawakened hobby may eventually go there, I'm trying to keep it low key for now. We'll see how that goes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4mZUdlUN1L00OoOSfgjIJxl46UhMIQydmsvJdWTz7ms2hywegdDFkfisJBT7BcMT