mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
12/16/14 11:47 a.m.

I just paid off my FM voodoo 2 kit. Any one have any advice or tricks to installing it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/14 12:00 p.m.

I've done a couple

Read the manual! Seriously, every trick we've come up with is in there. It's available on the website if you want to start reading early.

Having a second set of eyes, hands and a spare brain can be useful if you're trying to figure out how something works or if you need someone to hold a part while you bolt it in.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/16/14 2:47 p.m.

Take it slow. You're adding 75%+ more hp to a car, you want to do it correctly. :)

Make sure you do the pre-req's too, change the oil, timing belt, water pump, etc.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/16/14 3:55 p.m.

I've only installed an AGP Voodoo II

Keith Tanner
12/16/14 4:18 p.m.

I'd like to point out that ours came first

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/14 4:58 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'd like to point out that ours came first

The Voodoo II 3d graphics card came out in 1998. :)

The only suggestion I have on the turbo install is that if you have a local friend who's done a Miata turbo install before, it'd be worth buying him some beer to come hang out while you do it.

Keith Tanner
12/16/14 5:47 p.m.

How did I get that wrong? I even checked. Slipped a decade somewhere. Whoops. We had turbos in 1998, but not the Voodoo variety.

Embarassing.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
12/17/14 10:44 a.m.

Thank y'all. I have to order a new clutch. Hopefully I can do that Friday. Gonna change the timing belt and water pump next month.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
12/17/14 10:57 a.m.

Oh man vintage 3dfx hardware in a Miata thread, my how worlds collide.

I lusted after a Voodoo or Riva card for a long time, PC Mall & Tigerdirect catalogs all had dogeared pages for the graphics cards. I bought Turok for the PC and our old PII HP didn't have the balls to run it, I begged and pleaded, but never got a dedicated GPU.

Thanks for the trip down adolescent computer geek memory lane, now back to regularly scheduled programing.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/17/14 11:35 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

I still have a Voodoo 5 dual proc GPU board in my closet. That was the second Voodoo card I'd ever bought and it wasn't very long after its acquisition that 3dfx was no more.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/14 12:14 p.m.

I had the Voodoo, and then ran Dual Voodoo IIs and later got the Voodoo 5, skipping over 3 and 4. Ah those were the days when I didn't mind spending $500 or more on graphics cards.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JLH6D3KgYveAaB4dlEDnVJhzsy05B391y34wob7sqZ2BJGUBrQ5XX0Z7wbvfW4lE