HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
2/20/21 8:37 a.m.

It's 2021 and I'm looking at different ideas to get out of the house. I've been rallycrossing for 2 seasons, and really enjoy it. I'm not sure I'm super competitive, but obviously I enjoy getting better as I gain skills and experience. 

Does a casual rallycrosser have a lot to gain from a school like this that will actually transfer to the local club level? Sure, I know any sort of education like this will helpful...but I guess I'm wondering if it's really geared more towards stage rally and not really worth the time and money, other than just having fun. 

One idea I'm entertaining is doing a 2 day rally school at either Team O'Neil or Rally Ready. I drive a fwd, so I like there seems to be an emphasis on fwd for the 1-2 courses at Team O'Neil, but I'm sure Rally Ready has plenty of fwd too. 

Anyone do this before? 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/20/21 8:47 a.m.

I haven't, but have considered doing the same.  I've rallycrossed FWD most of the time so far.  I know a lot of the skills won't translate over to the lower speeds rallycross runs at, but some of them should.  I'm switching to a rear engine car this year, though, so if I go to rally school, it'll probably be more for fun.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
2/20/21 10:02 a.m.

I did a school before my first rallycross.  Now, I am not sure if I would do another one.  I would get better but $1500 a day is steep.  I poked around in 2018 and found some information.

Look at the curriculum.  Do you want to spend hours on left foot braking?  How long is the hand brake turn section of the course?  On the longer courses, how much time is spent going over course notes at high speed?

I would be pretty interested in the left foot braking side of things bit the rest of it isn't necessary for me in rallycross. 

For what it is worth, rally ready was the most willing to setup a custom curriculum for me.  The first hour or two was set in stone but I could help guide the course afterwards.  On the other hand, Team O'neil wanted thousands of dollars to do the same thing.  I haven't checked with dirt fish.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/20/21 10:05 a.m.

I'm not sure that anything would transfer over to rallycross.  Stage rally is about as relevant to rallycross as road racing is to autocross, except rallycross is about 500x more fun than autocross.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/20/21 10:46 a.m.

15+ years ago WDCR used to have a rallycross school. With 4-6 stations and drills. It was actually quite solid. 

Honestly I would reach out to the powers that be about having WDCR and Tarheel join together to host a school either at VIR or Panthera. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
2/21/21 6:43 a.m.
ojannen said:

I did a school before my first rallycross.  Now, I am not sure if I would do another one.  I would get better but $1500 a day is steep.  I poked around in 2018 and found some information.

Look at the curriculum.  Do you want to spend hours on left foot braking?  How long is the hand brake turn section of the course?  On the longer courses, how much time is spent going over course notes at high speed?

I would be pretty interested in the left foot braking side of things bit the rest of it isn't necessary for me in rallycross. 

For what it is worth, rally ready was the most willing to setup a custom curriculum for me.  The first hour or two was set in stone but I could help guide the course afterwards.  On the other hand, Team O'neil wanted thousands of dollars to do the same thing.  I haven't checked with dirt fish.

Excellent point. The detail on the agendas can be a little bit vauge. I thought left foot braking and the concepts behind managing weight transfer would translate well to Rallycross, but more detail would be good. It's interesting the Rally Ready was willing to work with you a little on customizing the curriculum. I was looking at possibly two day events and they cost the same at both facilities. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
2/21/21 6:46 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

15+ years ago WDCR used to have a rallycross school. With 4-6 stations and drills. It was actually quite solid. 

Honestly I would reach out to the powers that be about having WDCR and Tarheel join together to host a school either at VIR or Panthera. 

I run with the DC and Susquehanna club. My first season Susquehanna ran a RX school which was a great introduction. It would be interesting to ask the folks at DC if they would considering trying something like this again. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/21/21 7:42 a.m.

I did a school at the FIRM a few years back, and found it helped a good bit with RallyX. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/21/21 7:20 p.m.
HopmanJones said:
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I run with the DC and Susquehanna club. My first season Susquehanna ran a RX school which was a great introduction. It would be interesting to ask the folks at DC if they would considering trying something like this again. 

we used to have the "rallycross school" the same day as our early-season test and tune. That said, I think over the years most of our attendees have stated a preference to have a points/competition event instead of the test and tune, so we haven't had a T&T for several years now.. Once that happened, the driver's school kind of sputtered out since it would have to be a standalone thing and usually we didn't have real large numbers at it.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
2/21/21 10:09 p.m.

Everything I learnt I learnt on back roads with a dodge neon and a buddy with a 4x4 and a tow strap. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/22/21 6:30 a.m.

I know Dave at Rally Ready is willing to tailor his program to what you want to learn. I've never actually paid to take one of his courses because he's a friend of mine and I've done in car instruction on corporate days and been out there during other school days. I've spent several hours off to the side just teaching people how to drive a standard so that they can jump back in to the other exercises with the rest of their company. I've seen people drive the slalom for 2 straight hours until they got it right. It's a neat place. 

If you want to spend 8 hours working on LFB in a FWD car on the figure 8 and slalom courses, he'll probably be able to accommodate that, keeping in mind that it's always cheaper for 6 guys to follow the same curriculum than to have a day or two built around just you. 

Any of the rally schools are special places. You go for the experience and the people and the fun. If you just want to drive a car in a field for a whole day of practice you can probably  get 3-4 guys together and rent your facility for cheaper than all of you going to school. If you want to drive someone else's car (that you don't have to worry about breaking or consumables) someplace you don't usually go and you can turn it into a day or two on part of a trip where you see a different part of the country and meet new friends, then it's worth it. 

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
2/22/21 8:50 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I know Dave at Rally Ready is willing to tailor his program to what you want to learn. I've never actually paid to take one of his courses because he's a friend of mine and I've done in car instruction on corporate days and been out there during other school days. I've spent several hours off to the side just teaching people how to drive a standard so that they can jump back in to the other exercises with the rest of their company. I've seen people drive the slalom for 2 straight hours until they got it right. It's a neat place. 

If you want to spend 8 hours working on LFB in a FWD car on the figure 8 and slalom courses, he'll probably be able to accommodate that, keeping in mind that it's always cheaper for 6 guys to follow the same curriculum than to have a day or two built around just you. 

Any of the rally schools are special places. You go for the experience and the people and the fun. If you just want to drive a car in a field for a whole day of practice you can probably  get 3-4 guys together and rent your facility for cheaper than all of you going to school. If you want to drive someone else's car (that you don't have to worry about breaking or consumables) someplace you don't usually go and you can turn it into a day or two on part of a trip where you see a different part of the country and meet new friends, then it's worth it. 

Great feedback - thanks. If I do it, I was originally leaning towards Team O Neil because I love spending time in New England and of course they have built quite a name for themselves. That said, the more I look at it, the more I was wondering if it would be 100% time well spent because it looks like they go over other things like roadside repairs, protecting the car, and some intro level stuff into licensing. None of that matters to me, I've already broken and fixed my rallycross car enough and I don't care about licenses - I'd rather spend that time in the car.

Rally Ready seems willing to tailor the experience to the person's needs rather than sticking to a strict agenda. I have one rallycross friend that is interested to do a school with me, so there would be at least two of us there with some of the same experiences and interests.

I sent RR an email last night with some questions. Also, there was also a guy I know that came to a couple DC rallycrosses with a stage rally Protege who recently moved to TX, and I know his car is at the Ranch and he offered to let me drive it if we made our way down there. I need to get in touch with him to see what the deal is with that car and what his thoughts would be on the experience.

Our Preferred Partners
eZ8bc2cMBRfSxurK1qwcEkTcHJLq6Nnxs8MWizZ6Me2YOME6fIlMWPYob9epM2kc