P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/15/21 11:23 a.m.

Any reason to NOT buy a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T cabriolet? Unknown if auto or manual, will find out soon.

Battery or alternator, bad roof (glass has become disconnected), side view mirror broken off.  I'm told otherwise it runs and drives fine. Car guy selling it, has other nice cars, maybe not into wrenching, can't tell yet.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/15/21 11:40 a.m.

I think that was in the year range where the timing chain tensioner could fall apart and lunch the engine, also possibly issues with the HPFP cam follower that can damage the cam.

With German cars you are buying the previous owners' fastidious maintenance, not the car. That sounds like a neglected enough example that it will probably be a money pit. Audis are expensive to run even when well-kept but good previous owners normally mean you can plan for the maintenance instead of it taking you by surprise.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
9/15/21 12:52 p.m.

'09 was a weird year.  I think you could still get an FSI engine, which is the one with the cam follower that eats everything and the oil pump that grenades itself, or the TSI engine that will probably consume large quantities of oil and the timing chain tensioners will disintegrate.   So short answer, yes.

I'm a self-proclaimed VW/Audi fanboy, but I would not own an FSI or a pre-'12 TSI if you paid me to take it.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/15/21 2:14 p.m.

Run away 

P3PPY
9/15/21 2:26 p.m.

Well. This was a rollercoaster last hour or so. I talked to the guy before seeing the replies and bought it for $3,000.

And then I looked up the VIN: FWD not AWD

WHO KNEW THEY MADE FWD!?! I THOUGHT AUDI'S WHOLE SCHTICK WAS ALL WHEEL DRIVE!! 

I asked him kindly and he graciously allowed me to dissolve the deal. Apparently for the better.

Thanks for the input; I was dying of regret here.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/21 2:43 p.m.

Oof. Good to cut and run. FWD means CVT trans if I recall. Horrid in those cars.

P3PPY
9/15/21 7:21 p.m.

Are there ANY Audis to buy??

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/15/21 7:27 p.m.
P3PPY said:

I wouldn't turn an R8 away.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/15/21 7:41 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Unless it has an inline five, it'd take a factory warranty or a R8 badge to get me to own another one. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
9/15/21 8:36 p.m.
mtn said:
P3PPY said:

I wouldn't turn an R8 away.

You would if it was the R-Tronic

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/21 9:56 p.m.
P3PPY said:

B6 A4 1.8T, B7 RS4, B8 S4, and R8 with the MT6 only.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/21 5:59 p.m.

E-Legend.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
9/16/21 9:40 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
P3PPY said:

B6 A4 1.8T, B7 RS4, B8 S4, and R8 with the MT6 only.

This is the correct answer.

MrRobogoat (Forum Supporter)
MrRobogoat (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/21 1:26 a.m.
P3PPY said:

What's already been said: Old I5 Audis are mechanically stout classics (UrS4/UrS6, Coupe Quattro, 80/90/4000). B5/B6 A4s with the 1.8T are pretty great*, the front suspension is really neat. I'd do a B5 S4 / C5 A6 2.7TT 6MT, but I'm a masochist who thinks the power output is worth the hassle. B8 S4s are getting to be a good deal these days, although I'm cautious of the DSG boxes on them. The Audi TT is actually a VW Mk4 platform underneath, so that makes it okay in my book (but less of an Audi, the AWD system is a Haldex system). And then anything with the new 5 cylinder, which is an absolutely amazing engine (but again, only comes with lame Haldex AWD).

*A B6 A4 was the second car I ever drove and I have spent a lot of fond miles in one, so I'm a little biased.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GQWMTXUw1gIMUZYkcKArdkSWHblR2COcdwnlRbxMk6OFYzjQ5I8zROI0vRAnhrYL