BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 1:58 p.m.

I currently get to "enjoy" checking and setting the valve clearances on my S2000. And I'll get to do it again on my 911 pretty soon.

You pretty much need an angled feeler gauge for that as even my stubby feeler gauge won't slide in right. I bought the only decent-ish metric angled feeler gauges I could find either on a River or in a Bay, but they're, well, a bit E36 M3. And I don't mean the car. For starters they blades come in 0.05mm increments, which is really useful if you're trying to hit between .27-.28mm. But before this turns into a minor rant thread of its own, I noticed that most of the feeler gauges I own fall into the "cheep E36 M3 from china" category.

As I like having decent tools and good (mostly metric) feeler gauges are something I need on a regular basis for my motorcycles, where do I get me some?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/18/20 2:07 p.m.

Snap on. Go/no go are my favourite.  Being a Honda, do you need narrow ones?  That might make you search a bit tougher.

BoxheadTim
2/18/20 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I was afraid someone was going to say Snap On. Oh well, might be time to put my money where my mouth is.

I think the angled ones I have are standard width and they work OK. The main thing is to get angled tips, and go/no go would be even nicer.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/20 2:16 p.m.

I really like my matco ones. Narrow and solid feel. 

Also if you can find some used Cummins brand ones they are my absolute favorite. 

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/20 2:17 p.m.

For the 911, the dedicated tool is really helpful.  The stiff handle with the short feeler gauge end is a good answer, especially if you're doing it with the engine in the car.  I haven't tried doing it with normal bent-tip gauges, but it seems like that wouldn't work nearly as well.  

I have the cheap one from Pelican https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0787/POR_0787_ENGCYL_pg4.htm#item10

I think I'm on the second blade section after two valve adjustments, so spares are good to have but may not be absolutely necessary.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/18/20 2:18 p.m.

Subbing just in case anyone has a better suggestion than snap on. I can't believe I've gone this long without a set, but I'm staring down some jobs that will finally require them. I'd rather cry once, but would would also prefer to not sob like snap on.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 2:28 p.m.

Lang Tools, they make them for a lot of other brands. The material (if USA made) all comes from the same place. 

http://www.langtools.com/gauges-blade/

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
2/18/20 2:36 p.m.

I like the long single blades in the size you need ,  they are 6-8 inches long .

The tool trucks normally have them , 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/18/20 3:18 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I like the long single blades in the size you need ,  they are 6-8 inches long .

The tool trucks normally have them , 

This was my second thought, occuring shortly after my first post.

BoxheadTim
2/18/20 5:15 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I can see those being really nice, in fact I'll probably get a set. However for an S2000 you need blades that are something like 2-3" long as there isn't much space around the engine.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/18/20 5:17 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

If you are using them for a specific job, you can bend and trim the long single units.  Buy the one you need, make it fit the hole you have available, hang it in a special spot on the wall.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/18/20 5:59 p.m.

Places that sell machinist's tools will have high quality single feeler gauges in various thicknesses and lengths.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
2/18/20 6:26 p.m.

Perhaps try a feeler gauge feeler?

pirate
pirate HalfDork
2/18/20 7:24 p.m.

You might try Starett the maker of precision tools for machinists. They offer high quality tools.

https://www.starrett.com/category/111506

BoxheadTim
2/19/20 10:11 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

Thanks, I'll have a look there, too.

Interestingly enough the tool truck ones don't seem to be that much more expensive compared to the cheep from china versions. Yes, they are more expensive but not the usual 3x factor.

And of course some used Bluepoint ones appear to be more expensive on eBay than new from the Snap On online store. Nothing ever changes.

newrider3
newrider3 New Reader
2/19/20 11:24 a.m.
pirate said:

You might try Starett the maker of precision tools for machinists. They offer high quality tools.

Came here to say this as well, if you're looking for any sort of precision measurement tool, and you want to buy something that is a nice heirloom quality tool, Starrett is the only name you need to know.

The feeler gauges listed on the Snap-On website honestly look like they're the exact same imported set you would get at any auto parts store or Harbor Freight.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
2/19/20 4:29 p.m.
newrider3 said:
pirate said:

Came here to say this as well, if you're looking for any sort of precision measurement tool, and you want to buy something that is a nice heirloom quality tool, Starrett is the only name you need to know.

The feeler gauges listed on the Snap-On website honestly look like they're the exact same imported set you would get at any auto parts store or Harbor Freight.

I have Starrett and Lufkin precision tools I purchased as an apprentice 50 plus years ago and they stood the test of time and heavy use. They will last a lifetime if taken proper care of. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p0KH4TKT1WbL4yCiQI6iJqHAdmPSQzvXZfKzAFgl3rKFUsjNMzlcXGN3vLpgDSfx