Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/16/20 12:31 p.m.

Anybody here put one of these in their car? I am looking at one for my Miata track car project. I have used Autopower cages before. They have different ones listed for Lemons-Chumpcar and for SCCA/NASA/Drift. What is the difference between the two. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/16/20 12:51 p.m.

I know Champ has very specific cage requirements that go beyond what other organizations require, and I’m pretty sure Lemons does too.

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/16/20 2:41 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Actually it's the other way around. While the cage requirements for Champ car and Lemons have become substantially stricter over these past 10 years, they are still not quite as stringent as what SCCA, NASA, and other organizations require. They're getting there though. Champ car will require a dash bar starting 1/1/2021, and are strongly recommending DOM tubing for all cages.

In reply to Snowdoggie:

The main reason Lemons / Champ car cages are cheaper is that they still allow ERW mild steel tubing. If you change the material from ERW to DOM, you'll see that they become exactly the same price as the SCCA / NASA / Drift cages.

If you are building a new car, I would strongly recommend using DOM. It's an extra few hundred dollars, but the expense is worth it if you ever decide to run in an organization or class that requires it.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/16/20 3:10 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, not sure how I had that backwards.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/16/20 7:54 p.m.

I really don't want to crapcan race it. I am looking more at SCCA Solo 1 and NASA time trials. Lapping days. Maybe vintage racing. I might even drive it on the street a bit but he will never be a daily driver again. I would rather have the DOM.

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/20 8:37 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to boxedfox (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, not sure how I had that backwards.

IIRC, when Chumpcar came out, and lemons  was still fresh, they had considerably higher than the minimums required by SCCA for the equivalent classes, basically because they were modern.

I believe SCCA and others updated their regs about 5 years ago.

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/16/20 9:13 p.m.
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) said:

IIRC, when Chumpcar came out, and lemons  was still fresh, they had considerably higher than the minimums required by SCCA for the equivalent classes, basically because they were modern.

I believe SCCA and others updated their regs about 5 years ago.

No way. When Lemons was fresh (in 2006) they allowed 4 point roll bars for wheel to wheel racing. Early Chumpcar rules (around 2009) directly referenced the SCCA GCR and NASA CCR for its roll cage safety regulations. Here are the rule"books" from those days.

2006 24 Hours of Lemons Prices & Rules

2010 ChumpCar World Series Rules

I distinctly remember these things because those were the years when I first started running DE days on a consistent basis and when I had my first foray into wheel to wheel racing. I ended up having my car built for NASA regulations because they were right up there with the SCCA in terms of requirements, but allowed for additional cage attachment points on safety grounds.

That said I'm just happy that all of these organizations have come a long way from where they were in those days.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/18/20 12:24 p.m.

So I ordered a new roll cage for the Miata, and UPS just called. They can't deliver it today because the delivery truck it was on got blocked by a BLM protest and the driver had to flee the truck. They might be able to get it to me by Friday at the end of the day. 

When the going gets weird....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UPkCbuiHvqgqPzGvdQILtRgcZjghymC73tMQQLM8bh6EEMGB7vrpEJrEFW2SVkej