1 2 3 ... 5
eyesoreracing
eyesoreracing New Reader
11/24/11 1:01 a.m.

I just finished fabbing a (partially) aluminum exhaust and I'm wondering if anyone here has done anything similar.

I'm well aware of aluminum's low strength at high temperatures and limited fatigue life (all discussed in detail at the link below) but I think I've taken those issues into account with the design of the system.

Has anyone here seen or tried aluminum exhausts, and if so, how did they hold up?

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/2224/project-miatabusa-part-12--why-you-cant-make-aluminum-exhausts-and-why-i-did-it-anyway.aspx

-Dave

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/24/11 2:42 a.m.

Wow, that was a great read. I didn't expect to be there for all 9 pages, but you held my attention right to the end. Love all the ad hoc bracket ingenuity .

How much weight do you estimate was saved over a typical steel system? (That's the primary advantage, right?)

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/24/11 5:33 a.m.

how's it sound compared to a steel system?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
11/24/11 6:49 a.m.

Aluminum exhausts are all the rage with turbocharged "street" cars....

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/24/11 8:09 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Aluminum exhausts are all the rage with turbocharged "street" cars....

I've never heard much about them in the subaru community, which is a big chunk of those "turbocharged street tuners".....polished stainless steel still seems to be the popular choice.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
11/24/11 8:24 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Aluminum exhausts are all the rage with turbocharged "street" cars....
I've never heard much about them in the subaru community, which is a big chunk of those "turbocharged street tuners".....polished stainless steel still seems to be the popular choice.

This is the kind of "street" car I am talking about:

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/24/11 8:33 a.m.

I just saw a car with an aluminum exhaust this past weekend.

It was an 800hp Civic he drove on the street. He used a 4" alum exhaust and a flowmaster muffler to get a nice street sound, although the noise level did wake up under full throttle.

I don't remember the exact numbers but he saved quite a surprising amount of weight with the alum over stainless steel. At least it amazed me.

The sound did have a little "tink" to it over what it would have had with steel. And also there was more exhaust sound coming from the pipes themselves when he goosed it, but overall it was quite pleasant sounding.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/24/11 9:07 a.m.

I would be more concerned with the rapid cooling of the gasses slowing the flow and causing back-pressure than strength or sound. I suppose if you keep it short and use a turbo to force the gasses out it makes less difference though.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
11/24/11 9:09 a.m.

Pontiac tried aluminum exhaust manifolds in the early 60s, might have been on the Swiss Cheese cars. Worked for drag racing but they would start melting if you drove it on the street. Not one of the better ideas.

Since they make heads out of aluminum, it should be possible to make aluminum exhaust that will hold up. I guess the next rage is titanium exhaust?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/24/11 9:23 a.m.

"Don't start with that "you need backpressure" horseE36 M3. It isn't true."

You and me baby. One of these days we will correct this myth.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
11/24/11 9:34 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: "Don't start with that "you need backpressure" horseE36 M3. It isn't true." You and me baby. One of these days we will correct this myth.

One of the best myths! Right along side "torque wins races" and the hub-centric wheel myth.

fifty
fifty Reader
11/24/11 9:52 a.m.

I know a few "real street" drag racing guys who run aluminum exhausts, mostly huge 4 inch sewer pipe stuff after the header.. Durability is less of an issue for those guys. I'll talk to them and see what they say about the pros/ cons.

Really like your website, BTW.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
11/24/11 10:24 a.m.

I had a ceramic coated aluminum exhaust from autotech back ten years ago on my MKI GTI. it sounded wild.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/24/11 10:31 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Pontiac tried aluminum exhaust manifolds in the early 60s, might have been on the Swiss Cheese cars. Worked for drag racing but they would start melting if you drove it on the street. Not one of the better ideas.

Those original SD exhaust manifolds were designed to be used for only a quarter mile at a time, and the exhaust heat would blow holes in them if they were used any longer. However, you can get reproductions of them today that have been coated by Jet Hot or similar, and they will work on the street - I have a friend who has them on his '63 Catalina.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/24/11 10:37 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: "Don't start with that "you need backpressure" horseE36 M3. It isn't true." You and me baby. One of these days we will correct this myth.

+1

The name of the game is "pump more air". You only need backpressure if your engine tuning was designed for a restrictive exhaust - and even then what you need is better flow and new tuning

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/24/11 10:48 a.m.

Isn't exhaust pulse savaging important and effected by back pressure hence the need for some?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/11 10:50 a.m.

Not once you get past the collector.

fifty
fifty Reader
11/24/11 11:19 a.m.

The word from the drag racing guys is to use a billet flange for the join between the headers/ turbo outlet and the initial aluminum downpipe, and 11ga thickness aluminum for the first bend. The mandrel bends run a larger diameter which might affect fitment, but that's the only downside.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/11 11:22 a.m.
Keith wrote: Not once you get past the collector.

And certainly not with a turbo. The less restriction, the better. There is no scavenging with a turbo so the bigger the better.

fifty
fifty Reader
11/24/11 11:27 a.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Keith wrote: Not once you get past the collector.
And certainly not with a turbo. The less restriction, the better. There is no scavenging with a turbo so the bigger the better.

With a turbo you also want the air pressure drop - high pressure before the the turbo, low pressure after.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/24/11 11:30 a.m.

Pressure differential in other words

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/11 12:13 p.m.

Well, yes. But this car is naturally aspirated (at the moment) so I was commenting as if it were naturally aspirated. I don't think anyone believes backpressure is good for turbos.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
11/24/11 12:35 p.m.

I think I may be more excited over the fact that there is finally another installment of Project Miatabusa. Though after clicking over there I realize I just haven't checked in a while. There was that 8 month gap between part 7 and part 8. You do have to like Dave Coleman though.

eyesoreracing
eyesoreracing New Reader
11/24/11 2:46 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Pontiac tried aluminum exhaust manifolds in the early 60s, might have been on the Swiss Cheese cars. Worked for drag racing but they would start melting if you drove it on the street. Not one of the better ideas. Since they make heads out of aluminum, it should be possible to make aluminum exhaust that will hold up. I guess the next rage is titanium exhaust?

That's why my aluminum starts halfway down the car. Back half of the exhaust is much cooler.

I've had titanium exhaust before. It was incredibly light, but titanium prices are insane. It was a $1300 exhaust when I had it, and they cost $2000 now. Not worth it. Aluminum is relatively cheap, so the cost per pound saved is reasonable, if the exhaust will survive.

eyesoreracing
eyesoreracing New Reader
11/24/11 2:47 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I had a ceramic coated aluminum exhaust from autotech back ten years ago on my MKI GTI. it sounded wild.

Really? I had no idea that existed! So no problems with it? How long did you have it?

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVEhS3p77K3nBRfsJA25opECD5LoBPwLUadAcJ8l4DUZl8nHb3QV5luGMswr9zRB