1 2 3
fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
2/17/11 3:23 p.m.

Zombie thread! - just saw this on Make and thought I'd share it.

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Teardrop-Camper-Trailer/480/1

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/11 7:36 p.m.

at that height.. does it really need to be a teardrop?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/18/11 6:53 a.m.

Maybe all that oak is to make it tow better.

pirate
pirate New Reader
2/18/11 10:20 a.m.

Put the Locost in front!

kb58
kb58 Reader
2/18/11 10:52 a.m.

Agreed about a shower. Not to derail this thread, but I always thought an awesome construction project/blog would be to convert a double-axle bus to an awesome motorhome, though my drive to do such a thing (nevermind not having room) is that gas is getting out of hand.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/18/11 11:40 a.m.

I've toyed with the idea of doing that, as I have a spare 6x10 trailer. Also thought about making an "insert" for that trailer, so that I could also possibly put it in the back of my pickup truck. The theory being if I'm towing my race car, I can't tow a camper. Wasn't sure on the weight, by the time I constructed it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/11 12:13 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: at that height.. does it really need to be a teardrop?

From an aerodynamic point of view, probably yes.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/11 1:59 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Maybe all that oak is to make it tow better.

that is just really cool.. now turn that kitchen into a workshop

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/24/11 9:32 a.m.

Bump...

The camping thread spurred an idea. Kinda curious on the thoughts of folks who have previously built.

What about this as a construction method - a fiberglass monocoque. The idea - Use rigid foam, which will be the insulation, to define the shape. Probably 1-2" thick for the sides, and probably plies of 1/4-1/2" thick for the roof, to take a bend. Build what you want out of the foam, tacking it together with nails, glue, whatever, so that you end up with a foam teardrop on top of the frame. Then, go to a fiberglass place and have them spray the exterior with their chopper. Then, go to the line-x place, and have them spray over the chop with bed liner. You end up with a shell that is as strong and waterproof as a boat hull, has a strong / waterproof finish, and is well insulated. Cut out doors and windows, glue some paneling to the interior, and bam - you're done.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/24/11 9:37 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Seems like you would have to fiberglass both sides, so that you use the foam more as a structural component. Also, for the outside, wouldn't a woven mat be stronger than sprayed? Could go all ricer with that, and use CF.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/24/11 9:39 a.m.

whoa zombie thread for sure :)... but it's my zombie thread :)... still like the idea but seems mema gave those trailers to someone (think she sold em for scrap :-/

but still like the idea... think I need to finish the truck first... but like this idea :)

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/24/11 10:00 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DILYSI Dave: Seems like you would have to fiberglass both sides, so that you use the foam more as a structural component. Also, for the outside, wouldn't a woven mat be stronger than sprayed? Could go all ricer with that, and use CF.

A sandwich would be stronger. Dunno if it would be necessary, but it's a thought. Woven would be stronger, but seems like it would be more of a hassle. The chopper method seems cheap and easy, and more than sufficient.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/24/11 10:10 a.m.

Does MEKP eat Polystyrene? The blue foam sheets you can get at the hardware store for insulating the foundation of your house is polystyrene.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
10/24/11 10:28 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DILYSI Dave: Seems like you would have to fiberglass both sides, so that you use the foam more as a structural component. Also, for the outside, wouldn't a woven mat be stronger than sprayed? Could go all ricer with that, and use CF.
A sandwich would be stronger. Dunno if it would be necessary, but it's a thought. Woven would be stronger, but seems like it would be more of a hassle. The chopper method seems cheap and easy, and more than sufficient.

I would definitely fibreglass both sides as that would give it the strength required. I would do it more DIY as well using woven sheets soaked with epoxy. It would basically be the same process as building a kit boat. The catch is making sure the epoxy doesn't disolve the foam core, but otherwise it sounds like a good idea. I've thought of building a slide-in truck camper basically doing the same thing since I want a camper that is a little more utilitarian for hauling stuff.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/24/11 1:43 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Bump... The camping thread spurred an idea. Kinda curious on the thoughts of folks who have previously built. What about this as a construction method - a fiberglass monocoque. The idea - Use rigid foam, which will be the insulation, to define the shape. Probably 1-2" thick for the sides, and probably plies of 1/4-1/2" thick for the roof, to take a bend. Build what you want out of the foam, tacking it together with nails, glue, whatever, so that you end up with a foam teardrop on top of the frame. Then, go to a fiberglass place and have them spray the exterior with their chopper. Then, go to the line-x place, and have them spray over the chop with bed liner. You end up with a shell that is as strong and waterproof as a boat hull, has a strong / waterproof finish, and is well insulated. Cut out doors and windows, glue some paneling to the interior, and bam - you're done.

This sounds like something an FSAE alumni would do.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/25/11 9:03 p.m.

my dad built one with 2" pink foam from the home depot for walls and roof. he covered it with fabric dropcloths saturated in outdoor(titebond 2) wood glue. then brushed on a few more layers of glue before paint. it's strong, super light, and looks cool.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/25/11 10:42 p.m.
patgizz wrote: my dad built one with 2" pink foam from the home depot for walls and roof. he covered it with fabric dropcloths saturated in outdoor(titebond 2) wood glue. then brushed on a few more layers of glue before paint. it's strong, super light, and looks cool.

Sweet!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
10/26/11 8:37 a.m.

I did a good bit of fiberglass fabrication of race car bodies in the 80's. Resin will dissolve polystyrene. We used a different kind of foam, called it bread stick, because it was the color of well done toast. That will allow you to shape at will. Any foam insulation distributor will know what you need, and it's not expensive.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/26/11 9:14 a.m.
patgizz wrote: my dad built one with 2" pink foam from the home depot for walls and roof. he covered it with fabric dropcloths saturated in outdoor(titebond 2) wood glue. then brushed on a few more layers of glue before paint. it's strong, super light, and looks cool.

pics or ban

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/26/11 9:23 a.m.

I really like this idea the more I think about it. I'm not too interested in having the hatchback kitchen, so that simplifies things.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/26/11 12:25 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I'm not too interested in having the hatchback kitchen, so that simplifies things.

Who needs a hatch when you can add a 2nd hitch?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
10/26/11 3:05 p.m.

There was a thread(not to go to far off topic) a few years ago were a fellow put together a car hauler out of one of those old aluminum pull behind campers. I think on it's maiden voyage something broke and it got trashed along with his 356 Continental in the rear.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/26/11 3:07 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: There was a thread(not to go to far off topic) a few years ago were a fellow put together a car hauler out of one of those old aluminum pull behind campers. I think on it's maiden voyage something broke and it got trashed along with his 356 Continental in the rear.

Saw it. Beautifully restored Spartan Trailer, beautifully restored 356.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/26/11 4:32 p.m.

Thinking about this some more- especially if Dave doesn't want the rear kitchen.

One issue- smell. Without decent venting, I wonder how long it would take for the inside to gas out enough? And putting the glass in- ugh. It would be a heck of a trick to pre-fab the roof, but at least you could do the sides.

OTOH, you could do the thing as one solid piece, use a cutting tool for the doors, if you had a steady hand at least. That way you can use carbon fiber, and even keep the weave constant across the door openings.

Dang, that would be light.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
10/26/11 7:13 p.m.

You looked in to Casita trailers? Pretty tiny and have kitchen, bed, shower/toilet. My folks tow one behind their '02 Forester and it goes just fine. Got it used for $5k in great shape. Obviously not DIY, but hard to get that kind of light quality for that kind of money.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x5mRaS53k5RKFG94LZXi6SaVfhdP97d86Vw4kfcPefatNodTGDG02jA4h30AspCE