1 2 3
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
10/26/11 7:22 p.m.

i blame you guys for the free junk trailer in the back lot at work. and the popular science articles on my desk.

if i ever actually build it, ill post it up.

my plan: 5X12 trailer frame. steel frame, leaf springs, 14 inch tires, and shocks (its going behine my lowered 70 duster).

build the traditional teardrop shape. the front, by the hitch, will have a swing up door for a small kitchenette/workspace. inside will have a laminate floor, with roll of carpet/padding attached at the kitchen end. able to be rolled out for sleeping. at the far end, have a large hatch, half folding up, the bottom coming side be side as in barn doors. steel ramps secured between acle and frame, but easily removable. use it to load go-cart for daughter when she gets old enough to autocross with me. sleep in it at the track over the weekends. also, build a screen for that end that we could sleep open air style if we want.

construction would be tin sheets, or fiberglass. painted to match the car, of course. or possibly so all out of wood, stained and spar varnished. do some inlaid desings of walnut in the sides for contrast.

michael

pirate
pirate New Reader
10/26/11 7:37 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: I saw one at Gander Mountain with a platform and side ramps in front of the camper for a quad or a couple of motorcycles. Not quite big enough for a Locost, though!

Not big enought to put a Locost on but small enough to be pulled by one.

pirate
pirate New Reader
10/26/11 7:44 p.m.

Try this link!

http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=17158

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
10/26/11 7:55 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: You looked in to Casita trailers? Pretty tiny and have kitchen, bed, shower/toilet. My folks tow one behind their '02 Forester and it goes just fine. Got it used for $5k in great shape. Obviously not DIY, but hard to get that kind of light quality for that kind of money.

Never heard of them, but they look nice.

We're looking at an R pod like this one to tow behind the Canyon. They're about 2200 lbs

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/27/11 8:30 a.m.

DOESNT LOOK THAT HARD...my terrain can haul 3k lbs - Im getting ideas!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/27/11 8:41 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

Just takes time. I think the hard part is stoping all of the ideas and setteling on one. Not that I'll make one any time soon, though.

Should you make it small and light enough to tow behind a self made Locost, or more comfortable for your small SUV/CUV?

Imagine towing with a Miata to a camp site, going driving for a day, and coming back. Then the thought is- how nice can you make it so that it's very comfortable? Would a pop-up design make it easier? Standing?

See- all those ideas.

Let alone materials. CF, glass, wood, glass re-enforced wood?

I'm dizzy again.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/27/11 8:48 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

I hear ya, except that in my situation, theres really no way that the old lady would go anywhere in a car I made carrying a camper I made...theres limits to her grace

I also know her camping tastes...or lack thereof...will require fairly luxurious accommodations - at least as luxurious as a teardrop can be. Space and storage will be paramount. I will utilize that 3k capacity to that end. Id probably want the trailer between 2200-2500# wet. I would likely also utilize some powered trailer braking system too.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
10/27/11 9:29 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I also know her camping tastes...or lack thereof...will require fairly luxurious accommodations - at least as luxurious as a teardrop can be. Space and storage will be paramount.

This is my problem with all of the light weight, DIY-built designs: they are basically not much more than really nice tents and you will still be dependent on the camp site shower and toilet facilities. Personally, the desire to eliminate that dependence is the main reason for wanting an RV, regardless of overall size and propulsion.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/11 8:15 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
patgizz wrote: my dad built one with 2" pink foam from the home depot for walls and roof. he covered it with fabric dropcloths saturated in outdoor(titebond 2) wood glue. then brushed on a few more layers of glue before paint. it's strong, super light, and looks cool.
pics or ban

his build thread

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43987

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/1/11 9:42 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Let alone materials. CF, glass, wood, glass re-enforced wood?

CF! There seems to be a mini-trend towards roof boxes on exotic cars. I say the next trend will be exotic teardrop trailers.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/1/11 9:48 p.m.

Vintage camper plan: http://www.vintageprojects.com/outdoors-recreation-plans.html

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
11/2/11 8:51 a.m.

I am helping my uncle build one this winter. If all goes well we will probably be building 2 or 3 more.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/2/11 9:38 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
patgizz wrote: my dad built one with 2" pink foam from the home depot for walls and roof. he covered it with fabric dropcloths saturated in outdoor(titebond 2) wood glue. then brushed on a few more layers of glue before paint. it's strong, super light, and looks cool.
pics or ban
his build thread http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43987

Nice...pretty much exactly what I would do...simple and effective. Thanks for sharing!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/2/11 10:01 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Vintage camper plan: http://www.vintageprojects.com/outdoors-recreation-plans.html

I read the one about the pop up pick up camper- it was pretty cool. And reminded me that there's pop up camper project on my way to work. looks like it's just the original shell. Not sure how hard it would be to re-fabric it.

That's kind of what I was thinking- my wife would prefer to stand, so if you took the ideas of a super light tear drop and combine them with small pop up features- you could have a very interesting camper.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/2/11 12:16 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
patgizz wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
pics or ban
his build thread http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43987
Nice...pretty much exactly what I would do...simple and effective. Thanks for sharing!

+11T

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UidQucidwa6mmWH8xNIBdiKm4Kfm2FveoDFNCQCv94UMGI7GO4GceQ3PppNSuuz1