Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/4/20 10:27 a.m.

Oddball Mazda I've never heard of

I'd love to have someone look at this thing closer.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/4/20 2:59 p.m.

Interesting. A Mazda 4Runner.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/4/20 5:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Interesting. A Mazda 4Runner.

That's exactly what I said when I saw it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/4/20 5:41 p.m.

Long wheelbase. Look how huge that rear door is. Notice that the edge of the door does not curve for the wheel well but rather goes straight down like a Suburban (and not like the smaller Tahoe.) 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/4/20 5:42 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Long wheelbase. Look how huge that rear door is. Notice that the edge of the door does not curve for the wheel well but rather goes straight down like a Suburban (and not like the smaller Tahoe.) 

Yeah it's like they took a crew cab B2600i and put a cap on the rear. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
3/4/20 6:08 p.m.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
3/4/20 7:15 p.m.

Fulton isn't really the DC suburbs lol...more like the boondocks between DC and Baltimore.

I would go check it out, but I'm in the DC suburbs on the other side of DC. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 7:28 p.m.

Unfortunately wrong side of DC for me, and the next time I'll be in Baltimore, it'll be too dark to check out a car.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
3/4/20 7:59 p.m.

If bluej didn't have a newborn, I bet he'd be all over checking this one out for you. He's into weird Mazda truck things...

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
3/4/20 9:35 p.m.

I know the seller, great guy, imports a lot of odd stuff to flip. I'd buy from him site unseen with no hesitation. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/5/20 9:15 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I know the seller, great guy, imports a lot of odd stuff to flip. I'd buy from him site unseen with no hesitation. 

I spoke with him on the phone. He seems like a straight forward guy. And showed me pics of other JDM stuff he's had over time. Have you seen this truck in person?

What is the opinion on the 2.6 litre engine in the Mazda B-series? I've always understood that they're unremarkable, but durable with issues with head gaskets if not kept cool. But that is probably true of all engines. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/5/20 9:21 a.m.

I also think this thing would look infinite better with a black grille, and this lettering across the rear tailgate. 

Maybe different wheels too. I've always like the steel wagon wheels that Mazda used. Not that these spider web wheels are bad. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
3/5/20 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I have not seen this truck, but I've seen at least 20-30 of the other oddball stuff over the last 2 years. He brings in cool cars and splits the container with another buddy that does the Japanese mini trucks. He will take as many photos as you want, and will tell you if there's issues. By the time he buys, ships, and imports them, he's making @$800 on each. Lot of hassle and time involved for not much money. 

Most people buy them Here and ship them over. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/5/20 8:04 p.m.
golfduke said:

If bluej didn't have a newborn, I bet he'd be all over checking this one out for you. He's into weird Mazda truck things...

Yeah, this. Very time constricted atm.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
3/5/20 9:59 p.m.

I don't have any time over the next few days, but I'm pretty sure I know who is selling this.  Well, I don't know him personally, but a friend of mine does and I've said hello at a nearby C&C once or twice.  As Steve_Jones said, he always brings some weird/unique/interesting/unusual JDM car.  Same buddy drove us past his house one time when we went out to grab lunch and there were like 5 said JDM cars sitting in the driveway.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/6/20 6:59 a.m.

I work in SoBo and could probably be persuaded to go check this thing out if it could be arranged around lunchtime.  Wednesdays or Fridays would work best.  Agreed this seems like a really cool truck.  I don't know anything about them, but I am very experienced in looking for rust in all the wrong places and seeing if anything leaks, buzzes, whines, or shimmies.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/6/20 7:27 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I work in SoBo and could probably be persuaded to go check this thing out if it could be arranged around lunchtime.  Wednesdays or Fridays would work best.  Agreed this seems like a really cool truck.  I don't know anything about them, but I am very experienced in looking for rust in all the wrong places and seeing if anything leaks, buzzes, whines, or shimmies.  

I pm'd you. Seller lives in the Maple Lawn area if that means anything to you. He's available on either Wednesday or Friday. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
3/12/20 11:16 a.m.

Apparently I was ahead of the curve.

NPOCP Jalopnik article

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FYqkxZjUWxmTVtSoOLrAp9jJ5mMQB5FTTU0EDCNggFu8ZYNFUVcFZKzHrOiwOAAx