1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia New Reader
6/2/18 12:26 p.m.

Hi

I would like to make some custom gauge faces ,

maybe use  aftermarket Steward Warner gauges and change the faces to look more "European Classic"  

Is there a computer program or website to help design them ?

Much easier than designing from scratch on Adobe Illustrator :)

How would you print them ?

Anyone know how North Hollywood Speedo or Palo Alto speed prints them ?

Thanks from your ideas

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 6:11 p.m.

Most people ive heard of doing this carefully photograph or scan the gauge face and work on it in whatever software they use.

I’ve heard of people using Microsoft Paint to make gauge panels.

Illustrate would be better though, as long there is the necessary skill behind it.

You can print it on vinyl using a photo printer.  They may fade due to UV exposure, so a UV filter film on the gauge bezel might be a good idea.

i don’t know of any websites or services that do this sort of work, but it seems like something that could be an interesting side gig for someone.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
6/2/18 6:52 p.m.

Would probably be pretty easy with silhouette type software/equipment. Never really thought about it to be honest

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/2/18 6:57 p.m.

Would these be lit from behind the face at night? Would a vinyl cutter be able to handle the small detail needed for cutouts if lit from the back?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/18 8:45 p.m.

Not entirely relevant to your question, since you are asking about making your own, but just as an FYI, revlimiter does some custom work.

This is from my Miata when I bought it. I swapped it out for a stock cluster.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
6/2/18 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

You took those out??? Those are amazing

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/2/18 10:52 p.m.

Poke-Miata, collect them all!

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
6/3/18 3:32 a.m.

those are awful, good on you for removing them

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
6/3/18 10:06 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

Not entirely relevant to your question, since you are asking about making your own, but just as an FYI, revlimiter does some custom work.

This is from my Miata when I bought it. I swapped it out for a stock cluster.

What did you do with them, and how much?!?!?!?!? God I want those! 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/3/18 10:16 a.m.

This is relevant to my interest.  I rally want to make a "Tacometer" for at least one of my projects.  Omit an "H", add a taco graphic, win.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/18 7:32 a.m.

Have to post this now. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/4/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

So many amazing things could be done with those.

mke
mke HalfDork
12/16/20 5:02 p.m.

just seaching the web for a place to get a gauge face reprinted and saw a GRM thread and thought I'd scored!.....not so much it appears frown

Seriously though, anyone hve a gauge face reprinted?  I NEED to make my tach look stock but go to 11.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
12/16/20 5:15 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Anyone know how North Hollywood Speedo or Palo Alto speed prints them ?

Palo Alto, MoMa and the other shops we use all do it the old fashioned way by screen printing them.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 5:24 p.m.

Contact Revlimiter. Adam does great work and once he gets over the Black Friday surge he'll probably be willing to take on a challenge.

He did publish a how-to years ago on how to do your own gauge faces, but took it down partly because it wasn't a perfect method and partly because he went into business with much improved tech. It's in the Internet Archive.

mke
mke HalfDork
12/16/20 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Yes, but do you know anyplace I might be able to afford?

...you know...years ago I worked at a place that did screen printing...I wonder if I still know anyone there......sugar, the website looks dead

Its just black, whit red.....I'll bet I could make stickers as templetes for each color pretty cheap

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/20 5:45 p.m.

This  is a Sun SuperTach II in my '68 Fairlane convertable.  I designed the layout in AutoCad and printed it on laser photo paper.  It's been in the car for close to 20 years and when I saw it in the current owners shop last Christmas it still looked good.

If you're looking for a bit more sophisticated approach there's a guy on here who made custom analog gauges using round LCD displays for his Lamborghini that look great.  I'm afraid I can't remember who it is or what the name of the thread is or even what model the Lamborghini is.

mke
mke HalfDork
12/16/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Fading was my concern with that approach....but that looks nice!  just glue it on? contact cement?

The other thoght I had was since it black, white, red I probably could just buy a sticker or 2 to use as a template to spay paint it on.  Probaly I could get away with 1 and just marke the red then white areas.  I think I have a spare (dead) gauge to play with.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/20 2:48 p.m.
mke said:

In reply to APEowner :

Fading was my concern with that approach....but that looks nice!  just glue it on? contact cement?

The other thoght I had was since it black, white, red I probably could just buy a sticker or 2 to use as a template to spay paint it on.  Probaly I could get away with 1 and just marke the red then white areas.  I think I have a spare (dead) gauge to play with.

I thought I was doing well to remember that I'd done it and now you want details?  If I did use an adhesive it would probably be something more industrial that contact cement.  I have a personal aversion to securing things with just adhesive so there's almost certainly some mechanical attachment. I think that it's held in place by the outer bezel and the screws that hold the mechanism to the original gauge face but I really don't remember. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

That rules. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/20 3:30 p.m.

And this thread might have just cost me a few bucks. 

mke
mke HalfDork
12/17/20 3:50 p.m.

I found this place mentioned in a thread on the HAMB and sent them a note

https://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.com/custom-screen-printing/

I don't think my faceplate can be screen printed as its not flat...its got a 5mm lip around about 300deg...we'll see what they say though

mke
mke HalfDork
12/17/20 4:21 p.m.

I have just discovery dry transfers....this may be the way

Dry Transfer

edit - this looks like a $24 option for 3 colors on a 4x11" sheet which should be fine, that is in budget.

much cheaper supplier

edit2 - no wait...$24 is a base price them you pay per color, $64 for white, yellow, red.

mke
mke HalfDork
12/17/20 4:47 p.m.

these guys show a custom speed as one of their examples

They list a 3 color 4x6 at $168...but this is all one print that they align vs 3  1 color prints I'd need to align with the cheaper option

drytransfer.com

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
12/17/20 5:55 p.m.
mke said:

these guys show a custom speed as one of their examples

They list a 3 color 4x6 at $168...but this is all one print that they align vs 3  1 color prints I'd need to align with the cheaper option

At that point it's cheaper to buy a vinyl cutter and some vinyl if you have more than one gauge.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xKd6njTAyi5B6j8cxYZzzJROqLYKzgRmi0EiEAaVlhrvmB41dAAYltUCVR0jYYTH