1 2
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/9/10 12:38 a.m.

And this is why I want a new DD. I want to make my R/T a track rat.

Is there any disadvantage to the sedan compared to a coupe?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/9/10 1:42 a.m.

Better structural integrity?

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
5/9/10 2:55 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Is there any disadvantage to the sedan compared to a coupe?

The sedan is slightly heavier / lighter and more /less rigid depending on which side of the coupe vs sedan fence you sit.

Objectively speaking there's no difference.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/9/10 4:07 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Is there any disadvantage to the sedan compared to a coupe?
The sedan is slightly heavier / lighter and more /less rigid depending on which side of the coupe vs sedan fence you sit. Objectively speaking there's no difference.

Having owned both, I can't see the sedan being lighter than the coupe. But I could see rigidity going either way.

Once I can swing a new DD, play time for the R/T

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/10/10 12:10 p.m.

Hey Klayfish!

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27722

It's still got the SCCA SSC motor in it, though. Don't know if you'd want to pay $3500, but you could actually go IT racing in it if you wanted..

SVTF
SVTF New Reader
5/10/10 1:20 p.m.

As long as the car is reliable and safe on track, a low HP beater is actually a better choice to learn how to drive. Low HP cars than can be made to handle AND made safe AND be cheap is the ideal HPDE car. You will actually learn to drive, rather than how to use HP on the straights to pass better drivers.

Low dollar car; upgrade suspension; install safety gear; alleviate heat issues from track pounding. Have fun!

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/10/10 1:33 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Hey Klayfish! http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27722 It's still got the SCCA SSC motor in it, though. Don't know if you'd want to pay $3500, but you could actually go IT racing in it if you wanted..

Damn! I want that!

ProjectVIN
ProjectVIN New Reader
5/12/10 11:48 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I was at a trackday last weekend watching and was thinking about running one in my 86 325e automatic (E30 BMW), got the impression from several there that it would be so slow as to be unsafe (rolling chicane). (track in question was shenandoah at summit point) Trying to figure if that is valid or not. I dont really want to run my mustang at one (too much $$ and sentiment in it, plus twitchy esp setup)

Did you happen to see me in my neon (course, it's an SRT)? I can't actually afford to lose my car either but despite its technicallity the Shenandoah is actually a pretty difficult place to wreck at. But if you're not convinced to track your Mustang your E30 will be fine as long as you use your mirrors and give point-bys, you never know you might be quick enough to catch some people anyway. For instance, I would have had no problem with the bone stock Mazda 3 that was out there if he would have just given more timely pointbys. Either way, get out there, the Shenandoah is an absolute blast to drive.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/12/10 11:59 p.m.

Don't do drugs. That is all.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
dSp3vpOfI1vfR5cDitbp2YuDMbYf0i1oo1abvaPj3CYyXoj8DpIbuy2E59vgcXD4