1 2
rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/28/16 11:25 a.m.

The auto likely won't be a penalty for autocross, provided you don't let it upshift to a higher gear than needed. If anything, it might help a little in those moments of "do I waste time shifting for this spot or just accept that I'm in a slightly too-high gear?"

mapper
mapper Reader
4/28/16 12:11 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I think the GT has wider wheels available, and since FS limits you to available wheel width, I think the weight penalty of the V8 will more than be made up for by the extra rubber. Please correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what was going on when I played with the configurators the last time.

I think the performance package for the Ecoboost comes with 9" wide wheels which is the same as the front on the GT PP. The GT gets 9.5" wheels in the back to there is a little difference. http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/features/#page=Feature5

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/28/16 7:04 p.m.

In reply to mapper:

Thanks for the link, I'd not seen the options in this much detail before!

petegossett
5/1/16 9:03 p.m.

Ok, I've been perusing this but haven't found any details - for both the Ecoboost and GT performance pack, one of the features is "Unique chassis tuning" with no further explanation. Is there anyone here who can offer some insight on what that means?

mapper
mapper Reader
5/2/16 6:45 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Ok, I've been perusing this but haven't found any details - for both the Ecoboost and GT performance pack, one of the features is "Unique chassis tuning" with no further explanation. Is there anyone here who can offer some insight on what that means?

It's hard to find the information but here is what I have pieced together: Stiffer front springs, bigger rear anti-roll bar, and the chassis stiffening braces.

The "Unique chassis tuning" seems to a different bushing set in the rear. The magazine/internet tests that I have seen appear to show that the rear of a non-PP is a little unsettled when pushed hard on the track. Daily driver manners for the cruising crowd versus better track manners for the people who will actually use the car on the track.

I can say that the PP is not bad on Atlanta roads though those in frost heave/pothole states might have a different opinion.

mapper
mapper Reader
5/2/16 6:46 a.m.

FYI, if you can spring for the Recaros, do it. The stock GT seats are good but on the track I was wishing for more side bolster.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/16 9:14 a.m.
mapper wrote: FYI, if you can spring for the Recaros, do it. The stock GT seats are good but on the track I was wishing for more side bolster.

Unless you're like me and have an... ample frame. I can't sit in those things for more than 10 seconds. Pure torture.

petegossett
5/2/16 2:24 p.m.

In reply to mapper:

I test drove a FiST last year with the Recaros and loved them. I presume the Mustang version would be pretty similar, but haven't got to the point of searching one out for a test drive yet.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
5/8/16 6:45 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: I drove one with an Ecoboost, and it was really nice. Flappy paddles, sport mode, quick shifts, etc. If I were to buy a new Mustang (and I've seriously considered it), it would for sure be an automatic. Call me less of a man if you want, I'm 45 and I have a bad hip, so driving a manual in traffic is no fun.
Tom, you're very much like me. I'm 44, with a bad hip (and two bad knees). As I said before, I repeatedly look at Mustang GT autos (preferably 'verts) because logically it would make sense. Once a week, I take my wife's minivan to work and she takes my FoST, just so I can have a day in traffic w/out hitting the clutch 473 times per mile. It's nice, I enjoy it. I just don't know I'd be ready to give the clutch up each and every day. I enjoy stick shift too much. If I got an auto, I'd have to find some kind of cheap beater with a stick, just to have.

Why not buy a cheap beater with an automatic? The more cars people buy with real manuals, the longer the factories will hopefully continue to offer them.

Leave the autos to the drag racers and rental cars where they belong.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kQIJsoHTatf2R5843CH5VfkiVpqxZ9wSN4JpwamyVKessLSgFru3fN1KlKA21gwC