1 2 3 4
red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
6/15/21 7:40 a.m.

The Lane museum tossed me the keys to this thing.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
6/15/21 7:54 a.m.

Another autocross.  We were missing some folks who went to the TTN down the road.  A young man asked if he could co-drive with me (sure) and then his buddy wanted a go as well.   So I let them run it in AM in the morning heat while I ran it in EM in the afternoon.   And shocker.....the kid beat me!    

And to cap off the weekend, Monday I had a tooth pulled.  Sucks.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 7:56 a.m.

Saturday was spent getting the boat engine ready to install.

Sunday was spent cruising through the national forest. 

20210613_113835_HDR.jpg

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/15/21 8:12 a.m.

Got a helluva sun burn herding cattle, er people, at a car show.

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
6/15/21 8:29 a.m.

I had Auto X Friday, Drags and Auto X Saturday, plus HPDE and Standing Start Shootout on Sunday!

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/21 9:42 a.m.

Pride on Saturday, Car show on Sunday. Beatiful weather and super to see people outside. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/15/21 9:52 a.m.

Went to an autocross at Bristol Motor Speedway.  My daughter who is getting her drivers license soon went with me.  The day started by her driving me to the event  (1 hour 50 minutes).  Her first time driving the Civic Type R.

When I came back from working the first heat, she told me about all the different cars she rode in and made a new friend with another drivers daughter of the same age.  Got to love the camaraderie of other autocrossers!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/15/21 10:06 a.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

The Lane Museum rules. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/15/21 10:45 a.m.

I received my new to me mustang over the weekend. Drove it enough to make a short list of things that are wrong with it (not many) and now heading to the DMV tomorrow to get plates for it so I can start some summer cruising with it! 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
6/15/21 10:56 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It was nice to meet  you there, Anthony. Nice Subaru and well driven.

First time running fwd in dirt or in any kind of competition. 

Took me a while to get my KIA Forte to do what I wanted, or at least closer. By the 9th and 10th run I felt like I had a better idea. Great that there's really unlimited runs there.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/15/21 11:36 a.m.

Like every other day recently, worked on the house.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/83944394-df08-49c6-b28a-2b3db87696e7/p/25ffd6d1-bb49-4e4d-9314-d5a939f92a12][/URL]

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 11:54 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Good attic ventilation there.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/15/21 1:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Good attic ventilation there.

The funny thing is there was NO attic ventilation at all when I started.  No vents in the gable ends, no ridge vent, and the bays between the roof joists were stuffed with insulation at the top of the concrete walls making the few soffit vents non functional. House was poorly built, a victim of many hurricanes, received very,very, bad structural repairs,  and previous roofs were installed by companies I wouldn't let roof a dog house. There wasn't a single piece of the exterior siding, trim, soffits, or anything else on the whole house that was salvageable due to poor craftsmanship. Every piece had some type of water, termite, or rot damage including all the sub fascias and many of the trusses.

We're supposed to build for 170 MPH wind here. Being knowledgeable in aero stuff you can imagine what happened. This roof section wasn't attached to the framework under it (so just a wing essentially) and that frame work wasn't attached to the support columns which weren't attached to the concrete. When a hurricane came through it would lift the roof and blow the columns right out. At some point the "wing" actually got ripped off and appears to have flipped over onto the main roof. The second truss was broken (and poorly repaired) in four places.

Finding things like this isn't at all unusual on this job and certainly no where near the worst of it. Stopped raining, back to work on it!

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/83944394-df08-49c6-b28a-2b3db87696e7/p/bc279048-333c-4b95-a696-41a17057ec34][/URL]

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/15/21 2:18 p.m.

We went to the "Wings and Wheels" car and plane show at the old WWII bomber plant at Willow Run Airport. Had our picture taken in the cab of a GM Futureliner.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/21 7:36 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It was nice to meet  you there, Anthony. Nice Subaru and well driven.

First time running fwd in dirt or in any kind of competition. 

Took me a while to get my KIA Forte to do what I wanted, or at least closer. By the 9th and 10th run I felt like I had a better idea. Great that there's really unlimited runs there.

It was awesome to meet another fellow GRMer.  Thanks for the compliments but my driving is probably pretty mediocre.  It's hard to know since all the cars are quite different.  The Subaru isn't that nice either, but it serves its purpose very well.  It'll slowly get modded as the season(s) wear on.  I want to lock down stock AWD for this season, which means I need to get Igor to skip a few more events :).  Then I will go after the lone competitor in prepared AWD; probably next season. 

One of my biggest assets as a driver is no fear or empathy for the car.  I'm not scared to spin it, blap cones, break the car or anything else.  I also don't really care if the car is happy with what I am doing to it or not.  I sold a 911 because I just couldn't bare to drive it this hard. 

Next time out, grab your helmet and hop in the passenger seat.  I will even let you drive it too.  I will be happy to ride with you too.  I really think riding with Dan would be best.  He is way faster and in FWD too. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/21 7:47 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

If it got better without the hood, the problem may be not enough air getting away from the backside of the radiator. Hood spacers are at a high pressure area so they're more likely to make the problem worse.

Agreed! I actually found a couple of your threads on this topic.

I'm giving the spacers a shot because other turbo CRX owners say this setup worked for them...the theory is that the speed holes in the bumper increase airflow when the car is driving (apparently overcoming any increased pressure in the engine bay from the hood spacers) and the hood spacers help increase airflow out of the engine bay when the car is stopped. 

If it doesn't work the next stop is cutting an extractor in the hood.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/21 8:29 p.m.

I got some needed R&R.  Went camping on Chincoteague and spent the week fishing for flounder.

The boat is a 1968 Glassmaster which originally had a 1969 Merc 65hp.  In 1988 dad bought the current Merc 70.  After 30 years of abusing the snot out of that motor (seriously wish we had an hour meter on it) it finally started losing compression on a cylinder.  Last year we had it rebuilt, so for its inaugural run, what did we do?  Put it in the salt and headed five miles out to the inlet.  That's faith.

I estimated once.  Three hours a day (conservative estimate) times 60 days per year (also conservative) times 30 seasons.  That's 5400 hours at the absolute minimum.  I wouldn't be surprised if it had 7500 hours on it when we finally rebuilt it.

Here is home sweet home.  I'm seen here just chillin with Stone Barrington.  (whiskey and coke is likely just out of frame)

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/21 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

If you want to have some fun behind assateague come mid July-mid September, let me know. There ARE tarpon back there come mid to late summer, it's not easy and there will be more bycatch of some nasty to deal with things (that at least put up a hell of a fight, in southern rays and shark) in order to hook into one. The largest bull red I've ever caught was targeting tarpon towards the end of the run one year as well, so not all the bycatch is a pain in the butt. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/21 8:59 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Ooooh... I'm in.  You're in Maryland, right?  Baltimore?  Do you go out off MD or VA?  I've never experienced the north end of Assateague but I hear there is some great fishing in there.

This trip was a bit boring because all I caught were flounder, croakers, and a kingfish.  I live for the strange catches.

Hijack side story:  In one morning when I was a probably 12 or 13... I hooked into a MASSIVE turtle.  I snagged his back leg.  Took forever to get him up and his shell was easily 4' long.  Snipped the hook out.  We went up Queen Sound and I managed to latch into a Skate that took nearly an hour of cheating.  It would rip 250 yards of line off my reel and we would chase it as I reeled in.  Then it would rip it off again.  It finally tired out and I was able to get it up for a look.  Easy 5' wingspan.  It gave a jerk and snapped the line.  We then decided to see if we could pick up a sand or lemon shark out at the inlet so we rigged with some floating surf hooks with squid and a 3 oz weight.  I cast out, sat down, put the butt of the rod under my man parts.  All of a sudden, before I could tighten my grip, the whole rig got ripped out from under me, the reel whacked the gunwale, and it just went skipping out over the water.  We have no idea what it was but I'm guessing lemon or hammerhead.  I guess it could have been a Grouper but I've never seen them that big in VA.  Just something bigger than I anticipated.  Ever since then I've been using 18 lb test and a lighter drag instead of 25 lb.  Better to snap the line than to lose the whole rig.  Never caught a flounder that whole day, but to this day that is still one of the BEST fishing days ever.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
6/18/21 7:18 a.m.

General duties

• Pressure wash the deck
  • Lawn "care"
  • Clean the garage from last week engine shenanigans
  • Recharge the A/C on the Dakota

Down a brew or six . . .

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/21 9:20 a.m.

Went to a wedding Saturday and the spent the night at a hotel without kids.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/21/21 12:38 p.m.

I spent part of this most recent weekend cleaning--cleaning up the garage itself plus some wheels that needed a little bit of loving. Photos and details to come.

Yesterday, I jammed with my friend Kelly. 

calteg
calteg Dork
6/21/21 12:46 p.m.

Listed my old pickup on CL and weeded through dozens of lowball offers on an already cheap truck.

Installed a new cieling fan in the master bedroom and managed to jack up my shoulder.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/21 2:54 p.m.

Autocross on Saturday:

Cooking, baking and yard work on Sunday and Monday (my weekend ends Tuesday this week). 
Sourdough banana bread:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/21 3:15 p.m.

Started my vacation on saterday. The view from the back porch about sums it up. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u5Xx4dMLl4Dvfx4dOc9wwvTe0YVpZJ5DbLxyWzKY2IKk9HhXjMVo4HXIKUE26W2h