Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
2/26/12 9:22 p.m.

The RR one on the ACR was curbed when I bought the car. Want to re-finish all four before this season.

I'm not sure which color to do them in. I want to go with a stock-ish silver. Most of the powder places list a "wheel silver". I'd assume this could be closest? Do I need to do a Zinc Primer as I would with a steel wheel? What about the clear, is it worth clearing over them? Should I clear over the decals?

I was told Tire Rack sells replacement decals/valve stems. A guy on eBay makes repros in black, I was thinking of doing that and sticking with the black/silver as I have on everything else in the car. I'm not one for color.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/12 9:31 p.m.

Strip 'em down with Jasco gel stripper and respray with Duplicolor wheel paint.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
2/26/12 10:01 p.m.

How well does the wheel paint hold up to heat, etc? I'd assume it would be all in the prep, as with 'normal' paining?

We coat wheels at my one job all day long, I just need to pay for materials out of pocket.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/12 10:02 p.m.

I have had great luck with the duplicolor stuff.. holds up well

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/26/12 10:22 p.m.

I need to get around to wheel work. I have 6 nasty rusty steelies(4 snow, 1 in car spare, 1 extra) 4 cheap american racing with trashed finishes, and no center caps, and 4 factory R/T wheels, 2 with bead leaks.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
2/26/12 10:26 p.m.

I just missed a set of 15x7 AR-24s on craigslist. Guy sold them for $200 in decent shape. Only wheel I'd maybe consider trading my K1s for.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/12 11:12 p.m.

I used that wheel paint on the wheels for the Seven. It's seen a very large amount of track work, and those same wheels have been used on a Miata on track as well. Not a problem.

I'd recommend paint over powder.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/27/12 9:03 a.m.
Keith wrote: Strip 'em down with Jasco gel stripper and respray with Duplicolor wheel paint.

Is Jasco peculiar to your part of the country or a specialty item? Where do you buy it?

car39
car39 HalfDork
2/27/12 10:21 a.m.

Make sure you get wheel paint or hi temp paint. A friend did his 944 wheels in regular spray paint, and it was oozing off in chunks after the first track section.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oZ1YaY5OUsPV1tkCyOSNnuAit2EX5xS24SgNlX4ET3bmQPC8Pzw12OMeECfvIN9K