RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
6/6/13 7:27 p.m.

There are two glass chips in my Mustang's windshield I want to repair. They are small chips, not spider cracks. Has anyone used one of the various DIY glass chip repair kits out there? How well do they work? I also have auto glass coverage through my insurance, would I be better off using it to have a auto glass professional take care of the chips?

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
6/6/13 7:32 p.m.

I tried one once. That was enough for me to pay a professional to do it the next time. If you don't get the jig on exactly right, you'll get a bubble, and you only get one shot at it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/13 7:35 p.m.

I've had good luck with the Permatex kits. It doesn't completely vanish, but it's a lot better.

Do you have glass coverage?

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
6/6/13 8:04 p.m.

I do have glass coverage through insurance. I have used it a LOT, thanks to my bad luck with auto glass. I-495 in MA is a minefield of stones and trucks carrying gravel and the like.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
6/6/13 8:08 p.m.

I tried a cheap walmart kit 10 years ago. I guess it worked, it didn't get worse, but it was till noticeable.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
6/6/13 8:15 p.m.

I've used the Permatex kits many times with pretty good results. I'd say the repair does about a 90% job. I also once paid a pro to do it. I honestly couldn't tell where the dang chip was.

Hope that helps!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/13 8:46 p.m.

I've used superglue just to fill the void and prevent future cracking. You still see the chip, but I wasn't concerned about that.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
6/6/13 10:42 p.m.

I super glued a rock chip once.I sold the car 4 years later and the chip had not spread

dinger
dinger Reader
6/7/13 7:47 a.m.

I've also used the Permatex kit on a small star chip. It didn't disappear as well as a professionally done fix, but it was a heck of a lot better. Plus it didn't spread any further over the next 2 years until I sold the vehicle.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/7/13 8:05 a.m.

I used one of the kits last Monday. A rock off an 18 wheeler hit my Truck windshield on the way home. It turned out pretty well. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If it is important that it look as good as it possibly can, then I hire a pro. The tricks I'm learning are to preheat the glue and use a heat gun on the inside of the windshield.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/7/13 8:25 a.m.

I let the pro's handle my car and the fiancee's. They come to me, home or at work, do the job right, for free through insurance, and it has a guarantee.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
6/7/13 8:47 a.m.

With "Glass Coverage Insurance" it is a no brainer. That is what you pay for.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
8/13/23 12:24 p.m.

I tried one of the kits that uses a syringe and a suction cup etc. It was a pain in the angus to use and it looked ugly. But the chip never spread.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/23 12:43 p.m.

Wow, canoe dredging up a ten year old thread?

Ive used those a couple times, I got about two years out of the last one before it spread.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/23 3:29 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

Yep, timely because I have two after a 7k mile trip that I need to fix. 

I will give the Permatex kit a try. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/13/23 5:37 p.m.

Clicked on this & noticed a post by Dr. Hess.  I haven't seen anything from him recently. Has anyone here heard from or about him in the past few months?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yi9kYPPo3LGObtf33aQOnhNcXPENAxYwEMYF2etWSYtBL5YJjCV4w3WhIM2JW6Fc