Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
12/22/14 12:35 p.m.

Going through my pile of stuff that I have for my next Megasquirt project I found this.

photo 20141222_084600_zpsrn0ysauz.jpg

It sure is a cute little guy. About the size of a deck of cards. Not sure where I got it. Been in the tool box for 4 years now. Probably got it in trade. I have only ever bought my MS stuff from DIYAutotune.

Inside it seems to be pretty well thought out and self explanatory.

photo 20141222_084628_zpsswefzxlb.jpg

Google comes up with one hit on a VW forum about the development of it.

Planning on chucking it into the next EFI project. I am really familiar with the standard relay board and like it. Anyone know of any caveats with this one?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/22/14 1:14 p.m.

You sure it's for megasquirt?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/14 1:36 p.m.

Doesn't look like the MS Relay board I'm familiar with...

I google-fu'd it and came up with this: http://www.vwsport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148680

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
12/22/14 1:41 p.m.

That is all I found as well.

I am just going to use it. Was just wondering if anyone had heard or experienced any issues with it.

Compared to the standard unit it seems very slick and condensed. I like it.

Hungary Bill
12/22/14 1:45 p.m.

Are those relays soldered to the board?

In theory the relay board should be a pretty "dumb" unit. It's just going to pass input to output without any sort of modulation so it should be pretty stout.

If those relays ARE soldered to the board I would look into changing that to take a relay that would "plug" into a base. That'd give you the option of an easy change in the event of a failure (I'm pretty sure the relays on the MS board are the "plug" type). But other than that I'm afraid I don't know much about the mfgr, but I like the low profile the lay-down fuse mounts give it.

Seeing the picture from the thread next to a pack of cigarettes is pretty impressive.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
12/22/14 1:56 p.m.

They are indeed low profile relays soldered directly to the board which is the main reason this piece makes the original look huge and clunky.

I have used the original 4 times now and I dig it. This is just what I have laying around and this will be a extremely low budget project.

Hungary Bill
12/22/14 2:10 p.m.

aha! i didn't even think about that. Plug type relays would make it much taller... (I are teh slow).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pw1JUqjoLlWPk4e0CBy2mhluud7BSGYkzqSoSxCEYH5HCnZjFXl3DOxOpYOO6Y69