SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
2/24/16 5:26 p.m.

I am very close to picking up the AutoEnginuity diagnostic scan tool with the "enhanced interface for Ford."

I'm hoping to be able to do dealer-level scans and tests on my 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel Excursion. My understanding is that my truck does not have a normal OBD2 interface and that generic tools, blue-tooth dongles, etc. just won't cut it. Things I am most interested in are "buzz" and cylinder contribution tests in addition to all the normal code scanning and sensor checking stuff you would get with any scan tool.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this tool? I would like to hear some feedback even if you were using it for another make/model of vehicle. This is a fairly pricey investment, but we plan on keeping the Excursion indefinitely and the basic platform can be expanded by buying modules for other vehicles in the future.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
2/24/16 5:46 p.m.

I've got the Chrysler package for the Jeep. There's some stuff it can't do, such as interfacing with the body computer (only the dealer scan tool does that). But it does most (if not all) of the manufacturer specific diagnostic stuff (certainly goes way beyond generic OBDII for data and tests available).

For being a fraction of the price of even a used dealer scan tool, it does enough to justify its cost despite the couple of things it misses.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/24/16 7:10 p.m.

No experience with that reader, but I've read of some people doing buzz and cylinder contribution tests with Torque Pro and Bluetooth dongle. I think it was on powerstrokenation.com My older 96 stroke reads fine with that app and a blutooth but it is the earliest iteration of OBDII so it's limited.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
2/24/16 7:27 p.m.

I have it and used it for buzz tests and cylinder contribution tests on a 1999 7.3; if I need to I can use it to monitor other parameters and troubleshoot issues but I'm too dumb for that I also haven't had a need to do stuff like that yet.

If you were closer I'd let you borrow it - maybe see if anyone on a Ford forum is local and has the tool?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
guyZq2b4TsxjVT9bRtEh8WVEo1eLM7RcrxOYd43LmQItI0Uzi0CTLBY9HdzveHRH