Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/12/16 11:50 a.m.

I'm on a long-term work assignment in the Portsmouth area which has the potential to turn into a permanent relocation from the NJ office where I normally work and commute to from my house in SE PA. While many factors will go into making the decision, my fleet of 6 cars and what to do with them all is one of them.

The question I have involves registration and what-not for classic cars. I haven't really been able to find anything clear on the NH DMV website other than registrations here involve both the state and local townships.

In PA, registering a classic car has become very easy: go to your local tag store with a title, fill out a form, write a couple of checks, and a couple of weeks later they call you and tell your tag has arrived. It's a one-and-done thing as well. Pay $75 once and there is no yearly renewal. The system in NH doesn't appear to be similar unless I'm missing something. It's still the middle winter here, so I haven't seen many classic cars since starting this assignment in January.

Thoughts? Experience? Thanks in advance.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
3/12/16 2:25 p.m.

You can do it all at most, if not all town halls, but they charge you an extra 3 bucks a registration, may be by plate, can't remember. I typically do town hall, then NH dmv a day or 2 later.

flexi
flexi New Reader
3/12/16 3:11 p.m.

If you live in a larger city (like Portsmouth) typically everything can be done in one location. The city collects their share, and acts as the agent for the state. In Nashua, I pay at city hall the city and state portion. The new plates are handed to you by the same clerk you just handed your payment to. If you have special plates, you may have to pick them up at a state DMV office.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
3/12/16 5:05 p.m.

Other things to note: If your cars are worth getting colision, make sure you have some kind of uninsured mortise coverage. There are a lot of people that dont have auto isurance.

Don't buy the new Hampshire advantage statments when negotiating salary, it's a myth. The facts are, there is no income tax, there is no sales tax, but in most areas property taxes are about 2x Mass property tax, there is no exercise tax on cars, but you pay the city registration, calculated the same way as Mass excise tax and may be at a higher rate. Older cars that where higher end really get hit, it was more expensive for an 84 300d than my 98 year neon, 85 xplorer class b and 4x8 trailer combined in 2008. The Benz value was maybe 1500 bucks, but there seems to be a minimum depreciation, and it originally sold for 35k.

I believe the meals tax is also higher than Mass so if you eat out often, 9.5%

Steve

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/12/16 5:35 p.m.

In reply to lrrs:

Interesting. For better or worse, the original MSRP on all of my cars was pretty cheap. I'd forgotten about the "no insurance requirement" rule, but I'd probably keep it.

"Live Free or Die" - except front plates. You aren't free of those like we are in PA. A minor thing to those who've always lived in states with front plates, but annoying to someone who has never had them (GA and then PA).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qtodah8VsJBLJFouUYHGJChNGGVIDAvB1NXN4r5YLBW8QEKo59aDc8HF6MuDEBc2