G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/30/15 2:00 p.m.

I’ve heard that ZZ-series engines experience a fair amount of oil blow-by. Is this also the case with 1ZZ-FEs? Also, any other tips for dealing with 1ZZ-FEs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/30/15 2:28 p.m.

Most 1ZZ's consume a bit of oil. Mine's at 110k right now. I'll overfill by 1/4 of a quart when I do oil changes, then I don't worry about it until the next oil change.

Not sure how you have to "deal" with the 1ZZ...that motor is reliable as an anvil

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/30/15 2:32 p.m.

Before my divorce, i had a 1zz prism with almost a quarter mil on it. It burned oil, but that damn thing wouldn't die.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/30/15 2:35 p.m.
calteg wrote: Most 1ZZ's consume a bit of oil. Mine's at 110k right now. I'll overfill by 1/4 of a quart when I do oil changes, then I don't worry about it until the next oil change. Not sure how you have to "deal" with the 1ZZ...that motor is reliable as an anvil

Sorry about that. Bad wording on my part.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/30/15 3:20 p.m.

Are you talking about regular care and feeding? Thats easy.

Theyrr buzzy little boxes. They like to have the nuts wrung off em from time to time. Regular oil changes are helpful, toyotas can be prone to sludging. If its anything like the last 4 corollas ive owned, youll develop an exhaust leak somewhere between the mani and the flex pipe. They all do it. Every. Single. One. Cheap gas. They can be recalcitrant to start in particularly cold climates, a good set of plugs and a deep cycle are your friend. They are swappable with the 2zz and the 6 speed. They like boost.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/30/15 3:37 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Thanks!

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
11/30/15 4:15 p.m.

Keep the oil level up if youre going to be cornering hard on sticky rubber. Precats can break up and get sucked back into the engine causing badness. Put a header on it or a turbo= solved.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/30/15 4:29 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Are you talking about regular care and feeding? Thats easy. . If its anything like the last 4 corollas ive owned, youll develop an exhaust leak somewhere between the mani and the flex pipe. They all do it. Every. Single. One.

Good call. Mine developed a CEL for "small evap leak" that I've never bothered to track down. I'll look at the exhaust while I'm tracking down that evap leak

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qWW4H3enEgPyzt0OgADwdCZhHVHrD01ih85Y3OQgxPBTgzIwWsPtYQ7pTPfHWdTR