ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/12 6:09 a.m.

I was looking at this ad:

Recaro CTR seats

Could it be as simple as bolting on the sliders from my Miata seats?

My Miata is a 90 -- that means the seat belt attaches to the transmission tunnel. I didn't have much luck with the Recaro site but I am not really sure what I should be looking for information-wise.

Rob

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/24/12 7:00 a.m.

In the photos it doesn't look likethe seats will go back all the way to the bulkhead, which is the usual issue with seats that don't fit. Any seat that isn't around 12-13 inches wide at the seat belt shoulder height won't fit, UNLESS the wings taper forward quite a bit. If you need your seat a long way back the width is important, if you're relatively short the width is less critical. I wouldn't buy any seat without seeing the same model in a car, or trial fitting the seat. You could go to the seller with your passenger seat missing and test fit the seats.
I've tried several different seats in my NB Miata. If the base is much over 20 inches wide it'll be a squeeze to get them in.

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
2/24/12 7:06 a.m.

In my daughter's NA Momo Nascar seats fit fine, but they're pretty narrow. A Sparco pro 2000 also fit fine (and is for sale, wink, wink, nudge, nudge). The down side is both of these seats are pretty snug in the butt and hips.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/24/12 7:56 a.m.

Club Roadster forum has a ton of info and options.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/24/12 8:00 a.m.

I'm not sure if those should fit, but for that price i'd be buying first, test fitting later.

I've always LOVED those seats.

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
2/24/12 8:46 a.m.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seats.php

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/12 8:48 a.m.

They look a bit like the Mazdaspeed seats that you occasionally get (at least in the UK via JDM imports). If they're the same size they'd just about fit and hold you in better, but if anything you have less room (especially headroom) than with the stock seats. I had one of those in one of my Miatas, they work better in an FD...

The best seat I've ever had in a Miata was a Border CF seat that had a "dimple" for one's behind. In that seat, you actually did sit lower than in a stock seat. IIRC it's a "tribute" to one of the smaller Recaro race seats, but I can't remember which one.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/24/12 8:53 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: They look a bit like the Mazdaspeed seats that you occasionally get (at least in the UK via JDM imports). If they're the same size they'd just about fit and hold you in better, but if anything you have less room (especially headroom) than with the stock seats. I had one of those in one of my Miatas, they work better in an FD... The best seat I've ever had in a Miata was a Border CF seat that had a "dimple" for one's behind. In that seat, you actually did sit lower than in a stock seat. IIRC it's a "tribute" to one of the smaller Recaro race seats, but I can't remember which one.

Pics of the Mazdaspeed seats you're talking about? I kindof hate the stock seats in my Mazdaspeed.

BoxheadTim
2/24/12 9:08 a.m.

Here you go, 'otlinked just for you :

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/24/12 9:09 a.m.

Hrmmm.... did they come in cloth and/or not red?

Black cloth with the Mazdaspeed gradient would be kinda awesome in my car.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/24/12 9:10 a.m.

BoxheadTim
2/24/12 9:12 a.m.

The gradient is cloth - I vaguely remember seeing one pair with darker bolsters (black? Dark Gray? Can't remember) but the bolster IIRC are alwys vinyl/leatherette. I liked the (red) one I had for a while but as you can see they're rather big for a Miata.

92CelicaHalfTrac
2/24/12 9:13 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote:

This would work, i could get behind that.

I bet they're expensive as hell in good shape, though.

BoxheadTim
2/24/12 9:20 a.m.

In the US, probably. They weren't that expensive in the UK and weren't that hard to find, but shipping is going to be awfully expensive.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/24/12 9:25 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In the US, probably. They weren't that expensive in the UK and weren't that hard to find, but shipping is going to be awfully expensive.

This seems to be the case with a lot of cool stuff. My understanding is that by the time you get them here, you're in it for the same amount of money a set of brand new Recaro seats would cost you.

They pop on on yahoo.jp from time to time if you really want a set though.

I kind of like the Lotus Probax option.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/12 11:02 a.m.

You should hear the UK guys cry about the cost of shipping stuff over there from the States - sometimes, US parts are the best ones

Unless you're looking for a fixed back race seat, it's hard to get past the fit and comfort of a set of customized stock seats.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/12 11:24 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: In the US, probably. They weren't that expensive in the UK and weren't that hard to find, but shipping is going to be awfully expensive.
This seems to be the case with a lot of cool stuff. My understanding is that by the time you get them here, you're in it for the same amount of money a set of brand new Recaro seats would cost you. They pop on on yahoo.jp from time to time if you really want a set though. I kind of like the Lotus Probax option.

I keep eyeing the Probax seats in my Elise -- but the Miata seats wouldn't do justice in it

Used Probax are pricey -- but they are a fantastic option.

BoxheadTim
2/24/12 11:51 a.m.

Actually Elise seats are probably what I'll be stuffing in mine if I can find one in the right ballpark and I'm done with the other mods.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ck0a79hRStaAW7oWlFqprqjaAcgkRtoWHlIFWL3RS8IkPEfUhEaUOw3couP6YXZr