Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
8/7/09 9:05 a.m.

Hey guys,

Some here may know my ongoing 78 Datsun 510/Stanza coupe project. I have been battling prioblems with the SU carbs I installed,and am at my wits end. No matter what I do they seem to be running rich. The car runs,and drives,but it is blowing smoke,and sometimes diesels when shutting down. Also it blows some nasty black soot out when first starting it up in the garage,and I am not sure if it is just water vapor in the muffler mixing with the rich mixture,but it isn't right,and I can't figure it out. My friend who is a Triupmh guy said he knows SU's pretty well,but it turns out he has no idea what to do with these japanese copies. I am trying to sell the car,but I just know it isn't going to happen anytime soon,so I may as well enjoy the car. I do drive it some,but the carbs are not right,and I would like to get them closer if not perfect. Any help would be much appreciated. I have a video on rebuilding,and tuning these carbs,but I am still having issues,and don't know where to turn.

Thanks,

Chris

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
8/7/09 9:54 a.m.

pm sent

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/7/09 10:00 a.m.

I bought SU rebuild kits for my 1966 1600 from these guys. The kit included a very good video on how to rebuild and tune it afterward. Maybe they'll sell you just the video.

http://www.ztherapy.com/

Dan

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
8/7/09 10:35 a.m.

That is the video I have,but I am still having issues.

Turns out I really have no idea what I am doing.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
8/7/09 10:39 a.m.

Call this guy.

http://www.joecurto.com/

He can help you out.

And remember, these carbs don't ned much fuel pressure. Otherwise you'll flood or run rich. I race with 2 lbs of pressure in my Sprite.

mel_horn
mel_horn Dork
8/9/09 11:03 a.m.

Dieselling when shutting down usually means a vacuum leak somewhere...

senador
senador New Reader
8/9/09 11:51 a.m.

Aren't Click and Clack in Cambridge

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
8/9/09 6:10 p.m.
mel_horn wrote: Dieselling when shutting down usually means a vacuum leak somewhere...

I was always told dieseling was from hot carbon deposits on the pistons that are igniting what ever little fuel is left in the cylinder. The funny thing is the car does always do it,but sometime it does.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dpVJbMuoQkDuIgOpQS4lQOpbKJF3dIrwFstqFFwqiRSsU8AVVO9noeYy16PSxNmr